TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

• 4 months later...

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW), this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

January 30th, 2006 - Changes for 2006 announced

July 24th, 2009 - Closure of Big Bad Wolf announcedJuly 29th, 2009 - "FAQs" about the Wolf's upcoming demolition

Sept. 2nd,-2009 - Howl-O-Scream details announced

Sept. 6th, 2009 - Brochure from BBW's debut year

Sept. 8th, 2009 - PTR of BBW's last day

Nov. 4th, 2009 - Christmas Town announced

Nov. 14th, 2009 - More Christmas Town details

Nov. 20th, 2009 - Busch Donates BBW train to The National Rollercoaster Museum

Dec. 2nd, 2009 - Christmas Town Pictures

Jan. 28th, 2010 - New attraction "Europe in the Air" announced

Feb. 18th, 2010 - Follow Busch Gardens on Twitter and you could win prizes!

Feb. 26th, 2010 - Christmas Town 2010 operating schedule extended

March 4th, 2010 - Park adds sheepherding demonstration to Highland Stables

March 16th, 2010 - Media Day for Highland Stables, Europe in the Air, and Celtic Fyre

March 17th, 2010 - Official Highland Stables photos and video

March 18th, 2010 - What's new at Wolf Haven?

April 8th, 2010 - Big Bad Wolf trains delivered to coaster museum

April 11th, 2010 - Robb visits the park!

April 19th, 2010 - Pretzel Coaster Contest returns for a another year!

April 22nd, 2010 - Europe in the Air Update

April 23rd, 2010 - Electronic Hazardous Waste Recycling Day

April 28th, 2010 - Drop Tower on the horizon

April 30th, 2010 - Celtic Fyre & Europe in the Air grand opening photos!

May 17th, 2010 - Park makes its B&M coasters more accessible

June 10th, 2010 - County awards height waiver for new drop tower ride

June 27th, 2010 - Blackstone may buy Kings Mill, BGW open year round?

September 8th, 2010 - 2 year expansion plan teased in new video

September 18th, 2010 - BGW makes their official announcement--and updates their video

December 1st, 2010 - Christmas Town preview photos & video now online!

January 5th, 2011 - BGW clears two more hurdles for 2012 coaster in Oktoberfest

February 4th, 2011 - Busch Gardens Williamsburg expansion research

February 21st, 2011 - Major Expansion Construction Update! Photos & Video!

April 11th, 2011 - Busch Gardens Ramp Jam 2011!

June 12th, 2011 - Verbolten Construction Begins!

June 19th, 2011 - TPR Day at BGW!

July 15th, 2011 - Howl-O-Scream 2011 website launched!

July 19th, 2011 - Summer concert series lineup announced!

August 13th, 2011 - Verbolten Construction Update!

October 11th, 2011 - Water Country seeks permission to double in size

October 30th, 2011 - More Pictures of Verbolten track!

November 22nd, 2011 - Water Country USA gets approval for major expansion!

December 2nd, 2011 - Verbolten: Construction Phase 2 video from BGW!

Via RCDB

http://rcdb.com/document321.htm

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (July 24, 2009) – After 25 years traveling at the speed of fright, The Big Bad Wolf will take its last trip through Busch Gardens' Bavarian village Sept. 7.

"We hate to see The Big Bad Wolf go," said John Reilly, Busch Gardens' general manager. "We realize The Big Bad Wolf is a guest favorite. We're making the announcement now so coaster fans can ride one last time before it closes after Labor Day."

The world's first suspended roller coaster took coaster design to a new level when it opened in 1984. And while it cannot claim to be the fastest or the tallest, more than 29 million guests have ridden what has become one of the park's most beloved thrill attractions. Legions of fans—young and old alike—often cite it as their introduction to the coaster experience.

"The Big Bad Wolf offers a thrilling ride experience coupled with aggressive ride dynamics. While it remains a safe attraction, it has simply reached the end of its service life," said Larry Giles, Busch Gardens' vice president of engineering and design.

Park officials are reviewing several design concepts for a new park attraction to replace The Big Bad Wolf, but no announcement is planned at this time.

Busch Gardens is a Worlds of Discovery®. Other Worlds of Discovery® include Water Country USA in Williamsburg; Busch Gardens in Tampa, Fl.; the SeaWorld parks in San Diego, San Antonio and Orlando, Fl.; Sesame Place near Philadelphia; Discovery Cove in Orlando; Adventure Island in Tampa; and Aquatica, SeaWorld's water park, in Orlando.

Here is some Big Bad Wolf B-Roll the park sent me:

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=BigBadWolf_30o9[/coastertube]

Edited by larrygator

Well, that is sad to see, but hopefully it is replaced by another good coaster. BGE doesn't really have any family coasters, Loch Ness Monster is debatable, so it would be nice to see one added. Of course, the flying coaster Screamscape mentioned would be nice too.

NOOOOOOOO!

I can't believe they're getting rid of my favorite Arrow coaster at the end of the year (and on the 25th anniversary to boot). I guess the rumors of Wolf's days being numbered were true.

Hopefully, Wolf's replacement will be just as good if not better.

- I really need to get to SFMM, KI, and CW before those suspendeds are gone too.

I just got a bit of a sick feeling in the pit of my soul after reading this post... we knew there were rumors about this, I'm so sad to see it come true... Big Bad Wolf, you will be missed dearly... I haven't ridden in probably nearly 15 years, but that is only due to the fact that BGW hasn't been in my travels... I might just have to make a journey there to pay my respects... So so sad... thanks for the (official) heads up...

I just love BBW; I can't believe they're removing it but I can only hope they might consider replacing it with a modern equivalent. The Arrow suspended coasters are just too unique to have them all disappear. Nothing compares to the final dive into the Rhine River at the end, especially at night.

Personally I'm just hoping BBWs replacement isn't just another clone (or big brother) of another ride with already exists in another Busch park (like SeiKra/Griffon)... I'm not being hateful or anything, but if a Manta clone goes into BGW, it doesn't make me want to visit the park quite as eagerly (which is part of the reason I don't have a great desire to visit other Disney parks... how many Tower of Terrors can you really judge?!)... I'm just hoping that something completely original goes into that space... (I'm sure I'll get some backlash for this...)

Man this sucks...I always thought that this and LNM were the traditional staples of the park that they would never get rid of. Guess I better get the use out of my platinum pass before labor day.

My son is gonna be so sad. Its His favorite coaster of the 13 he has been on.

Another thing is why Labor Day??? BGW can't keep it running for 2 more months during Halloween for night rides. Not like they are gonna have the "future attraction" open for next year. More than likely it will sit as a vacant area for 3-5 years.

After this season I probably won't go back till a new coaster is built. I don't think I could stand to see that huge empty hole in the park.

JEFF

Yeah--I remember the ads for this ride when I was around 7 or 8. Totally scared me. I never got around to riding it until I was 16 but there was still that childhood fear lingering in the back of my mind as I was standing in line and about to get on. Fun ride, especially at night. T'will be missed.

I've known about this for quite some time. I was just hoping they would change their minds about removing it, but I guess that's not going to happen. The BBW is historic for a number of reasons and should be preserved. Sure, it has its flaws, but that quirkiness only makes it more special. It's puzzling why Busch can't replace the high-stress points (i.e. the wicked last drop/river maneuver), add lighter rolling stock and let it fly through the woods like Arrow (and Anton!) intended.

I will truly miss the Wolf.

This is a sad day in the enthusiast world.

I agree with SeaWhippet. They could have Vekoma/Premier fabricate new track pieces that can handle the higher stress points and gotten new trains from Vekoma (open air!).

Well, it's a done deal.

So long, wolfie.

Aquatrax. Terrain Flyer. Busch's relationship with B&M. Giga. Rings. Drachen Fire. It won't be a _______ because ________. You suck. My friend was knighted by the Major of BGE, and he was already told what's going to replace it. I can't say anything yet. Maybe the B&M factory mislabeled the track outside their factory. Woodie. No, they would have a problem with noise. Bring the Noise was a Public Enemy hit. Intamin woodie. But InBev might not wanna pay for that. Lockers. SFGADV sucks. So does Cedar Point. Millennium Force has the greatest airtime ever. A new land. Heartline roll. That joke is lame and whoever started it is a dbag. Is there an opening date set for the new coaster? I'm going to visit in May 2011, and it'd be nice if I can make the opening. I think I saw a footer being poured yesterday. Adena is on the scene, so it should go vertical soon. I liked BBW. I think I covered it all.