TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I got my first visit to BGE this past monday and i must say it was pretty awesome. I rode Griffon 1st thing in the morning and it was only about a 10 min wait. IMO, it was definately not the best coaster there. Mind you this is coming from a BGA pass holder with over 50 rides on SheiKra. It just feels like the coaster was crammed into the France area. The theming was also very weak. It was only evident from the station and the onride photo viewer right outside of it. And I hate the fact that the splashdown is completely out of the way of the normal path. As for the coaster itself, that second immelman didn't do much. Yes this ride was definately a smart move for Busch but it just doesn't offer the kind of experiances on Alpengeist or Apollo's Chariot. Personally, I like SheiKra better. But the whole concept of a dive machine is still just a one-trick pony. All the hype is around the drop (which offers excellant airtime) and the rest of the ride is almost pointless.

• 8 months later...

Busch Gardens Europe has submitted preliminary plans to James City County's planning department to expand the park by five buildings and "various guest attractions and theming."

No details have been released. But Busch officials have told planning staff that nothing in the expansion will exceed 60 feet in height, so the expansion would not likely include a roller coaster. The Big Bad Wolf has the shortest drop of the current roller coasters at 99 feet, and the new Griffon ride drops 205 feet at 75 miles-per-hour.

Busch's application did not indicate the height or number of stories for the buildings, and the planning department has asked for that information.

If Busch is adding a new country, it would be the first since Ireland was added in 2001. Before that, there hadn't been a new country since Italy was added in 1980. Busch Gardens, which closes for the winter months, re-opens to the public for its 2008 season on March 21st.

Source: http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-biz_busch_0305mar05,0,308023.story

I wonder if this will take up the old Drachen Fire area? If it were a smaller country I bet it would include a coaster in the future if they put it in that area since there's a lot of room for expansion back there. This should be pretty interesting to see it develope.

Something like Jungala at BGT perhaps?

--Robb

My first thought was a new country, but something like Jungala would also make a lot of sense. ...I say theme it to Amsterdam.

Seriously, a new country would be cool, with maybe a motion simulator this year and a coaster down the road.

I think something like Jungula would be good for the park.

Or if its just a new land in general I could see a coaster a few years out.

It seems as Busch gives one of its parks a coaster every few years and spreads them out. I say maybe 2011 if they get a new coaster.

If it were a smaller country I bet it would include a coaster in the future if they put it in that area since there's a lot of room for expansion back there.
They aren't planning to build anything over 60 feet, so a coaster doesn't seem likely as of yet, unless perhaps it's a Wild Mouse or kiddie coaster, neither of which Busch would probably be looking to install (especially considering the fate of BGE's Wild Mouse -- relocated to another park in the chain -- and their only kiddie coaster, which closed in the 80's). Busch right now seems to be focused mainly on either non-ride attractions and exhibits or large B&Ms.

If it were a smaller country I bet it would include a coaster in the future if they put it in that area since there's a lot of room for expansion back there.
They aren't planning to build anything over 60 feet, so a coaster doesn't seem likely as of yet, unless perhaps it's a Wild Mouse or kiddie coaster, neither of which Busch would probably be looking to install (especially considering the fate of BGE's Wild Mouse -- relocated to another park in the chain -- and their only kiddie coaster, which closed in the 80's). Busch right now seems to be focused mainly on either non-ride attractions and exhibits or large B&Ms.

No, I meant in the future as in after this new expansion is built.

How can Ireland be considered an expansion and a new country when the whole area was there for years. All they did was throw shamrocks all over the place and make a bad simulator even worse!

Still, whatever they add, Busch will do it proper, probably with more upgrades in the upcoming years.

"Sounds like a smaller, new country to me" (Force 310)

Luxembourg, perhaps?

Nah, more like Liechtenstein. Fun fact: Nothing in the country of Lichtenstein is permitted by federal law to be built more than 60 feet above sea level. It fits perfectly.

Actually... it might be too similar to Germany, but Austria has enough cultural background to (maybe) merit another section in the park. Belgium, maybe?

Of course, they already have most of the UK represented, so why not add Wales?

What about Scandinavia? That could make a good area and could be a blend of Finland, Norway, and Sweden.

I've never been to Busch Gardens Europe, but it's a park definitely on my list.

Eric

Having seen the trend at BGT, I'd expect that a Jungala clone may be in the works; but then again, I've also got my own fantasy: Spain.

Spain would be a great fit for the park, give lots of theme expansion options, and a perfect-fit for a flyer/looping coaster- "THE INQUISITION!" (Joking on that one, yes I know what the Inquisiton was, and how it hurt people, but the name sounds REALLY REALLY COOL!)

Plus there'd be a good secure fit with the European theme- and the possibilities are endless as far as the park could go with it- And a Tapas theme eatery would be cool, too...

Luxembourg, perhaps?

Nah, more like Liechtenstein. Fun fact: Nothing in the country of Lichtenstein is permitted by federal law to be built more than 60 feet above sea level. It fits perfectly.

Actually... it might be too similar to Germany, but Austria has enough cultural background to (maybe) merit another section in the park. Belgium, maybe?

Of course, they already have most of the UK represented, so why not add Wales?

Please no Belgium. I've seen more than enough of Belgium

What about Vatican city ?

According to this morning's Newport News Daily Press, BGE wants to build on what used to be the Royal Reserve Petting Zoo, between the England sky-ride entrance and Escape from Pompeii. This is about 1 1/2 acres, so if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on a new area for kids.

This is spot is currently the home of Howl-o-Scream's "Wicked Woods" maze--and before that, "Sea Dog Cemetery." The petting zoo was shut down a few years ago.

I thought Spain would be a great Idea too. One Idea I had for a ride was a racing or dueling wooden coaster themed after the running of the bulls. Have the tracks go between buildings and have the line at an elevation to one side to sort of simulate the people on balconies who watch the bulls. and on the other side could be a dinning area. The only thing that may hinder that idea is that it seems like Busch isn't too keen on the upkeep of wood based on what others have said about Gwazi.

Luxembourg, perhaps?

Isn't that a quote from the James Bond movie, Goldeneye?

But back on topic, a European version of Jungala seems to make the most sense.

The only thing that may hinder that idea is that it seems like Busch isn't too keen on the upkeep of wood based on what others have said about Gwazi.

The hindrance to your idea: the area in question is only 1.5 acres.