TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

Well I finally remembered my camera while passing through Williamsburg today. Griffon is coming along nicely as you can see, the MCBR is complete as well as the 2nd drop.

It looks like they just inserted a piece of the brake while we were passing and there is only one piece missing on the approach to the MCBR.

It seems like this will be all you can see from the train but maybe I will be able to see the 2nd Immelman soon while the leaves are off the trees.

Enjoy the pics (forgive the clarity, I was hanging out a train going 80mph )

JEFF

Griffon5.jpg.d8a8921154e365e81407a5c8e9ca24de.jpg

from the overflow lots

Griffon4.jpg.cf771edfe8b740936936eee6b4796de5.jpg

sadly from this angle the 2nd drop does not look 90* =(

Griffon3.jpg.eaecbcddce8166b7225817bc8984a7f4.jpg

yea yea...through the trees

Griffon2.jpg.4a969db6850cf1116a2c9bb59c4570ae.jpg

Here you can clearly see them inserting a piece of the MCBR

Griffon15.jpg.49c1d390e27011a2800d1ce3109c45ad.jpg

close up of previous pic

Griffon1.jpg.c0e5f31093632efcab6c1e360a0e8cb3.jpg

She has already claimed her spot in BGE's skyline

I'd say those are pretty good pics for zipping by on a train, Jeff--thanks. I've been driving down Rt. 60 to check out Busch's progress myself, but I never have my camera with me. You can get a pretty good view of Griffon as you cruise past the France parking lot.

Feb 1st Hard Hat Tour

Well it was a cold day indeed, snowed lightly a couple times while we were there. It was a great day as we got to talk to Walter Bolliger and Larry Giles about Griffon. Learned a ton of little details about the ride:

1st Immelman is 146 feet tall.

2nd Immelman is 100 feet tall.

There will be a "slight" negative G on the hop going into the water splash. Their word was "slight".

All 3 trains will have a different water splash unique to that train.

And a few other things were explained such as why so many trees were removed (for irrigation issues and new trees will be planted etc). And they are getting ready to plant all the trees and shrubs "After all this is Busch Gardens."

Good times, and I can't wait for Media Day!

^Thanks for the great photo's!

Did Mr. Bolliger say how big the first drop is? The press release didn't say how big the drop is just how tall the first hill was. IMO that drop looks about 215 deet cause it goes into that little trench. Anyway, this ride is going to be awesome!

Feb 1st Hard Hat Tour

Well it was a cold day indeed, snowed lightly a couple times while we were there. It was a great day as we got to talk to Walter Bolliger and Larry Giles about Griffon. Learned a ton of little details about the ride:

1st Immelman is 146 feet tall.

2nd Immelman is 100 feet tall.

There will be a "slight" negative G on the hop going into the water splash. Their word was "slight".

All 3 trains will have a different water splash unique to that train.

And a few other things were explained such as why so many trees were removed (for irrigation issues and new trees will be planted etc). And they are getting ready to plant all the trees and shrubs "After all this is Busch Gardens."

Good times, and I can't wait for Media Day!

Thanks for the insite on the ride stats. Nice photos looks like it was rather cold though.

J.

Maybe the local "Griffonites" can help with this one. I don't remember hearing or reading about it anywhere (and wasn't about to reread this entire thread), but was there ever any mention about the color choice? Considering all the red tape, and hoops Busch has to jump through to please the bordering residents, I was wondering if the light blue was chosen in a feable attempt to blend a little more with the sky due to it's height, and the sightlines it has?

To me, the colors are the only lame part of the ride. The ride will still be great nonetheless, but I was just curious.

^That would be a good question that no one has asked, nor has it been mentioned by anyone at the park.

I would have guessed if they were able to choose the colors I would have expected gold and tan, but since Williamsburg was a little more strict about color choices we've been stuck with the dual-blue. Must admit I wasn't totally sold on the blue colors at first, but with the "thought process" of it representing the sky and the golden train being the actual griffon it works out. Not to mention when seeing it in person it does look very nice in the area.