TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I think it's a combination of the simulation and the angle. Although it might be bigger. If I have time I'll go down to the track making factory down near batavia and see if I can find any track matching the color scheme, although i'm pretty busy with my job search right now.

-James Dillaman

If you look at this picture: http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/buschgardens/25155/images/25155a.jpg

The track looks a lot wider than normal dive machine track... it might just be the field of view, but it does look wider.

Andrew "FAT TRACK!" C.

I wouldn't judge the gauge on the CG. It is basically there to show off the layout and I doubt BGW would say make absolutely sure the gauge is proportionate. If it is it probably is not by much.

I just cannot believe the amount of stress that is gonna be applied to the track between the supports, that is alot of weight for a small area of track.

JEFF

Looks awesome! I think the scenery will be loads better than BGA's, but the ride experience will be rather similar, which I think is good. I can't wait to ride this next year!

I only wish they could have done something different for the 2nd inversion, like a dive loop.. Since both drops are pretty much in open space, they could have had the dive loop go into a tunnel feature. That would have been crazy.

B&M: "Hey Intamin, we've got your Wingwalker right here!"

this will NOT be a SheiKra clone ......

(taken from the Busch Gardens website).....

Griffon will be the tallest dive coaster in the world; the first floorless dive coaster, and the first to incorporate two Immelmann loops (an inverse diving loop named for a WWI German fighter pilot), a second 130-foot dive and a water feature with spectacular viewing platforms where ride watchers can share in the thrills. Each floorless coaster car will consist of three, 10-person wide rows. Griffon offers over-the-edge excitement on more than half a mile of steel track and will become the centerpiece of Busch Gardens’ Europe’s French section.

Currently under construction, this diving, driving force in roller coaster engineering will debut at Busch Gardens late spring 2007.

......Any questions?

Yeah, why did you post that when there are 5 pages prior that point all that out?

Anyways, Like SheiKra or unlike SheiKra... it's a new credit next year for me and it looks like a damn sweet one at that.

Oh, and I think the track gauge is going to be the same... there are three seats "Hanging off" the track on each side, SheiKra only has two on each side that do.

So stupid.....

They have a great concept and once again kill it with a terrible layout. Drop, Immelmann, turn, brakes, drop, Immelmann, splash, helix, done.

Mix it up a bit-thow in a roll or two, maybe a tunnel, nix the splashdown (which is pointless anyway), and put in an air hill. When I first saw the animation, I thought it was going to be an air hill after the first Immelmann, but it just goes directly into the brakes. I wish BG and B&M would be a bit more adventurous with the layouts instead of building rides with not much action (the only good parts are the 2 drops and 2 inversions, which is really not that much).

If you're going to spend the money to build a dive machine, why not use the immense height to your advantage, instead of slowing it down with an MCBR and water splash? Griffon looks like it's going fast into the MCBR, but then it brakes to a near stop, loosing tons of speed. The watersplash is just a waste: Waste of track, waste of speed, waste of time, and waste of money. It produces a nice effect for non-riders (unless you don't care to get wet, but have to go through the wet zone to get on the ride- a la SheiKra), but adds nothing to the ride but some unwanted braking. The helix after the splash will be pointless as well, since it will be taken so slowly with a very wide radius, producing very little forces.

Maybe it's just me, but Dive Machines aren't the best bang for your buck as for as coasters go. For the same $20 million you could get a fantastic Intamin megacoaster or something else worthwhile (cough...wooden coasterscrewkingsmill...cough)

wow! they did more with the terrain than i thought they would! looks fantastic.. and that Immelman next to Alpie's Cobra Roll - very niiice!

You gotta love the logo for the ride, they did a darn good job with that. Looks like its going to be an all around awesome experience.

^^ how can you look at that ride and say they killed it? Tell me your not craving an outside-end seat on those trains!

So stupid.....

They have a great concept and once again kill it with a terrible layout. Drop, Immelmann, turn, brakes, drop, Immelmann, splash, helix, done.

Mix it up a bit-thow in a roll or two, maybe a tunnel, nix the splashdown (which is pointless anyway), and put in an air hill. When I first saw the animation, I thought it was going to be an air hill after the first Immelmann, but it just goes directly into the brakes. I wish BG and B&M would be a bit more adventurous with the layouts instead of building rides with not much action (the only good parts are the 2 drops and 2 inversions, which is really not that much).

If you're going to spend the money to build a dive machine, why not use the immense height to your advantage, instead of slowing it down with an MCBR and water splash? Griffon looks like it's going fast into the MCBR, but then it brakes to a near stop, loosing tons of speed. The watersplash is just a waste: Waste of track, waste of speed, waste of time, and waste of money. It produces a nice effect for non-riders (unless you don't care to get wet, but have to go through the wet zone to get on the ride- a la SheiKra), but adds nothing to the ride but some unwanted braking. The helix after the splash will be pointless as well, since it will be taken so slowly with a very wide radius, producing very little forces.

Maybe it's just me, but Dive Machines aren't the best bang for your buck as for as coasters go. For the same $20 million you could get a fantastic Intamin megacoaster or something else worthwhile (cough...wooden coasterscrewkingsmill...cough)

i completly agree

So stupid.....

and put in an air hill. When I first saw the animation, I thought it was going to be an air hill after the first Immelmann, but it just goes directly into the brakes. I wish BG and B&M would be a bit more adventurous with the layouts instead of building rides with not much action (the only good parts are the 2 drops and 2 inversions, which is really not that much).

Still looking for airtime? Walk across the park and ride AC. I simply don't understand the argument about this not being much more than what Skeikra already is. Is it similiar? Yes. Is Sheikra fun to most people? Yes. Is Kraken widely considered one of, if not the best examples of a floorless coaster (which most people seem to like, btw)? Yes. Now, put the two together, and you definitely have a recipe for disaster, right? Right? See, I just can't figure you people out sometimes.

Tell ya what, when the "supposed" 5 year contract with B&M concerning the building of Dive Machines is finally over, then you guys who disagree with this design can pool your resources and get your favorite park chain to build a better one. How's that sound?

Scott "can't wait for media day" B.

I am surprised it is as long as it is given the cost of these things. (Way over 20 mil!)

These are easily THE most expensive coaster style out there. I am just happy it is much more than Oblivion.

I love the water effect on Sheikra and I for one am very happy it is on

Griffon.

Also,I Wonder how many trains???? Doesn't say anywhere

Hell, I am thrilled BGW is getting SOMETHING!!!!

JEFF

This thread is starting to get hysterical.

For the same $20 million you could get a fantastic Intamin megacoaster

With half the capacity, half the reliability, and half of the longevity. Not to mention the fact that they are already responsible for how many deaths?

I think that BGE made the best decision with all things considered ...

A proven, reliable, people-eating, marketable attraction.

I guess some folks will just never be satisfied unless they see their No Limits fantasy coaster appear before their eyes.

I honestly think the floorless aspect of this ride is gonna be seriously undermined until people actually get the chance to ride it.

With half the capacity, half the reliability, and half of the longevity. Not to mention the fact that they are already responsible for how many deaths?

Not to mention they already HAVE a Hyper coaster...deerrr

JEFF

Again, they used the land they had the best they could...

I disagree.

Still looking for airtime? Walk across the park and ride AC.

honestly I think an air hill would be cool, the restraints on Shieikra are very roomy so the effect would be a nice addition to the dive machine genre. Is it a sin to want air on more than one ride in the park?

The one thing I still don't get, never have understood, and probably will still be puzzled by come next year, is why they went with a floorless car... that probably added an easy million+ to the project, and even at 6'3", the only row on Sheikra where I can touch the floor is the first one... I think the ride will be fun but is of no suprise (kinda already knew what was coming...)

That and Busch and B&M will always make sweet love with each other. If Busch ever needs a steel coaster, they would always contact B&M (other than if its for a JTA).

Also, am I the only one here that sees two bunny hills in Griffon's layout? That and if the second drop is also 83 degrees (like on SheiKra), theres some good ejector air on the back row.

However, it still seems like the first half and the water splash ripped off SheiKra, however two Immelman's and some bunny hops seem to make Griffon unique.

However, SheiKra feels floorless enough...

I think that BGE made the best decision with all things considered ...

A proven, reliable, people-eating, marketable attraction.

I was just saying popular type of coaster. I wasn't trying to be specific, since BGE wouldn't even get a megacoaster,as they already have AC. They could have gotten many things instead of Griffon. I for one would've liked to see:

Gerstlauer Eurofighter

Plug-n-play woodie (loud, yes, but I'm not taking that into consideration)

Gerstlauer Bobsled (could have been well themed, compact, and very, very good)

Anything else someone can think of...

I guess some folks will just never be satisfied unless they see their No Limits fantasy coaster appear before their eyes.

You sure hit that nail on the head

And I'm not just looking for airtime on a coaster, but since it is a dive machine, one would expect some air, which will be had on the immelmanns, drops, and maybe the small hill. I also really enjoy high G moments, which this ride lakcs. Sure, it's got some steep pullouts, but I would've really liked to see a tight helix or something with high g's. Also, throwing in the roll that was originally planned for SheiKra would've been really cool.

Yeah, they had a limited amount of land, but there are some great rides shoehorned into tight spaces, such as Phatnom's Revenge, Great Bear (maybe not so great, but yeah), Georgia Scorcher (narrow footprint, but a great ride), and many others. Saying space is limited is not an excuse, you've got to be creative with what you have, and I feel BGE didn't do that very well with this ride.

Will I ride it? Yes. Will it break my top 10? You never know; I'll give it a shot, the floorless trains should be really cool (how are they going to load though, since the rows are tiered?). If I don't like it, there are two other great B&Ms and two classic Arrows there for me to ride instead.

Still looking for airtime? Walk across the park and ride AC. I simply don't understand the argument about this not being much more than what Skeikra already is. Is it similiar? Yes. Is Sheikra fun to most people? Yes. Is Kraken widely considered one of, if not the best examples of a floorless coaster (which most people seem to like, btw)? Yes. Now, put the two together, and you definitely have a recipe for disaster, right? Right? See, I just can't figure you people out sometimes.

Yes, yes, yes. I agree completely.

That was the exact reaction Patriot got when it was announced.

"WTF? It's a Talon clone! It's gonna suck!"

Do most people not enjoy Talon? Do you not see the actual ADVENRTISEMENT for weightlessness?

What's the point? Sheikra is a hugely popular ride, and a good one (from what I've heard). Yeah, Griffon is very similar up until the second drop, but does that somewhow ruin the ride?

Two Immelmans! I'll be working out just to fight for an end seat in the back row.

Imagine how quick the station wait will be, with ten people boarding at once.

I think it looks awesome. A perfect addition to BGE. It will complement Alpie's colors nicely, and will most likely be a top five attraction in my book, ahead of Apollo's Chariot.

BTW...

http://www.buschgardensnews.com/060822_Griffon_Web/ppages/ppage5.html

Look! They painted Sheikra and added new trains! Woot!

Looks like BGE's Marketing department has access to Photoshop.

^SheiKra is a pretty good coaster, but not in my top 10. Personally, I think it's the worst B&M in Florida (which doesn't say much, since all of Florida's B&Ms are great). There was so much hype to it (maybe because I hyped myself up), and it was a big letdown. Plus, there was little incentive to ride it more than I did (4 times-I waited only once in the line then got 3 re-rides) when Kumba and Montu were in the same park with no wait all day, while SheiKra had a 40-50 minute wait all day. Plus, SheiKra has a relatively short ride time.

Griffon is just an improved SheiKra. I didn't really like SheiKra that much, so I don't have super high hopes for Griffon (which may end up being a good thing, because it just might rock ).

That and Busch and B&M will always make sweet love with each other. If Busch ever needs a steel coaster, they would always contact B&M (other than if its for a JTA).

Also, am I the only one here that sees two bunny hills in Griffon's layout? That and if the second drop is also 83 degrees (like on SheiKra), theres some good ejector air on the back row.

However, it still seems like the first half and the water splash ripped off SheiKra, however two Immelman's and some bunny hops seem to make Griffon unique.

However, SheiKra feels floorless enough...

I also see the two airtime hills, and I am amazed that people keep saying there won't be any airtime. I can already see four places where there is going to be airtime. I totoally agree with you on the rest of your post too Homer, you took the word right out of my mouth.