TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

28 minutes ago, jarmor said:

Darkoaster looks fun and a family/kid attraction is needed.  WIth the proposed layout, the seats should spin. . .

it looks exactly like the layout for WaveBreaker at SWSA.. which means it will be a fun little family coaster (with emphasis on family, not thrill).    Keeping indoors, mean the launched hill into the major turn won't be near as tall tho. . . which is fine as I think this coasters "trick" will greatly improve on what is really a "non-thrill" coaster at SWSA.    Tho again, note, it's fun, and the design over the water is great.

so if they keep this dimly lit, and populate with some "glow" elements (think Rock N Roller Coaster type setpieces?). . . could be really fun.

tho I'm still glad I got to ride DarkKastle back when it was operating in 2016.

1 hour ago, bert425 said:

it looks exactly like the layout for WaveBreaker at SWSA..

Uhhh. . .  not sure what you are looking at but what I saw was confined inside the walls of darkastle.  A totally custom layout with 2 launches and a trick or two.

1 hour ago, jarmor said:

Uhhh. . .  not sure what you are looking at but what I saw was confined inside the walls of darkastle.  A totally custom layout with 2 launches and a trick or two.

look again. . that's the WaveBreaker layout. . the only difference is inside vs outside, and that the 2nd launch hill won't be as tall (because it's inside).

otherwise, it's a very similar (if not *exactly* the same) layout.

I am so SOO excited for this! Easily my number one most anticipated coaster project!

This is exactly what I think BGW needs and what I thought they should do. I'm really happy that the park seems to have pushed pause on that "Drachen Spire" idea, and went with something like this. An indoor Intamin multi-launch coaster sounds amazing (like next generation of Escape from Gringotts amazing, and I haven't even ridden that ride), and even if they half a** it on the theming I still think it will be cool. I also hope they take the opportunity to revamp that whole area around Darkastle, as I thought it looked a little rough this last summer.

My only real concern is that if they go with a Verbolten-esque black lights and projections approach to on ride theming, that it might over time suffer the same maintenance fate. When I rode Verbolten this last summer it was noticeable and disappointing that so many of the black lights had fallen down, or were mis-aligned. I hope the park learned from Verbolten and they either a) keep the maintenance up on Darkoaster or b) design and build it in such a way so as to avoid the theming maintenance issues that Verbolten has.

Speaking of Verbolten...since this is an indoor family coaster, is there any evidence that this might be a Verbolten replacement? I have no evidence of this, nor would I even dare call it a rumor, but does it strike anyone else as odd that BGW would build an indoor family coaster in the same area a very similar ride? I hope this isn't the case (I though Verbolten was a fun unique ride, albeit in need of a small refurb), but it would open up more space next to the ol' Drachen Fyre spot...

Verbolten isn't even 10 years old yet, and despite any sort of "failure" of theming elements, seems to be a pretty reliable ride for them.  I don't see it going anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bert425 said:

look again. . that's the WaveBreaker layout. . the only difference is inside vs outside, and that the 2nd launch hill won't be as tall (because it's inside).

otherwise, it's a very similar (if not *exactly* the same) layout.

Not that wave breaker, wave breaker is much larger.  This new thing launches into 180 degree turns and on the second launch goes right.. Wave breaker has much longer straightways and s curves and an overall much spread out layout and launches into hills that go to the left.  Have you seen the nolimits rendition?  I don't see wave breaker at all.  Does anyone else get wave breaker from the proposed layout and animation?

spacer.png

I rode wave breaker 2 days ago.

TO ME - the animation/proposed layout is the same/similar as wave breaker.  And I expect this ride experience to be very similar.

sorry you don't agree, but not sure why the heck you feel the need to argue over this and "prove" me wrong.

especially on something that might not even be happening, as it's not been formally announced.

chill dude, and have a Happy New Year.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, swfan1988 said:

This is exactly what I think BGW needs and what I thought they should do. I'm really happy that the park seems to have pushed pause on that "Drachen Spire" idea, and went with something like this.

Oh god forgot about that. Yeah.....really glad they are (hopefully) just putting that idea to rest. Agreed this is a good fit for the park and space! Glad they are putting it to good use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJLehto said:

Oh god forgot about that. Yeah.....really glad they are (hopefully) just putting that idea to rest. Agreed this is a good fit for the park and space! Glad they are putting it to good use.

Based on insider knowledge, it appears the DS idea or pitch is very well still alive. Maybe they cut a deal with Intamin to have this DarkCoaster be a “filler” and the DS project is a 2025 delivery. Either way, I’m pretty jazzed to see the park make good use of an empty plot in this sense. I wish their sister in Tampa would follow the same suit! They’re in desperate need of some “troubled weather” type rides when the FL fronts come thru. 

That spire coaster looks like it may have worked 10 years ago but now, I dunno.  It just seems like it's lacking, to me, and a one trick pony.  A trick that has been done over and over.  Wonder why all the focus is on BW vs BT?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TrippinBillie said:

Based on insider knowledge, it appears the DS idea or pitch is very well still alive. Maybe they cut a deal with Intamin to have this DarkCoaster be a “filler” and the DS project is a 2025 delivery. Either way, I’m pretty jazzed to see the park make good use of an empty plot in this sense. I wish their sister in Tampa would follow the same suit! They’re in desperate need of some “troubled weather” type rides when the FL fronts come thru. 

Clarifying that I do not have insider knowledge. This was my assumption based on the inside detail the folks behind the article gave. 

23 hours ago, TrippinBillie said:

Based on insider knowledge, it appears the DS idea or pitch is very well still alive. Maybe they cut a deal with Intamin to have this DarkCoaster be a “filler” and the DS project is a 2025 delivery. 

Interesting. If so that is actually good news, the whole seemed rushed and just "wtf is this?" but a few years is plenty of time to develop a proper ride idea around it. 

And for sure about the "troubled weather" ride, I do always like the option to pop into something if it rains, not many parks seem to have it these days! 

By the time they dispatch the train in Tampa the rainstorm will be over anyway so no need for a fair-weather ride.

Lol, had to. But in all seriousness this smaller launched coaster is a great idea and they honestly should clone it and bring it to SeaWorld Orlando as another medium-thrill ride there.

• Haha 1

I thought this was going to be a Premier. I dont see why it wouldnt be actually. 

Verbolten has a drop track and Panethon has a spike. The only 'trick' this can do is a backwards section. 

If busch is going to be open year round they need like 1/3 of the park to be indoors minimum. should spend money on developing an indoor kiddie area.. 

As far as Pantheon goes; 

I personally think this whole crazy inversion is a trend that will flame out. This ride looks uncomfortable and a lot of it seems to be jerky for the sake of being jerky theres no philosophy behind it other than 'look how outrageous the track is shaped'. 

There is almost no 'flow' in these rides. The only part that made me say wow was the outward banked turn, the placement in the ride is perfect. The spike section ruins the pacing and makes the ride feel very short despite being 1:30 long. It reminds me of copperhead strike in that there are lots of pointless hops and bumps throughout... 

I just think these models will become dated quickly a-la Mack Bobsleds. The launch track in the middle of the ride is really puzzling. 

Busch should've ordered up a Taron to compliment Apollos Chariot and have two types of 75mph+ roller coasters. A classic out and back and a classic twister. 

BUsch has always built classic rides IMO 

VelociCoaster re-invented the top hat IMO.. that looked like just a standard element with a 'meh' on paper 150ft height, and yet it ended up being one of the best drops in the world with that sharp steep drop launching you to the moon. Same with that roll over the water - it looked awesome but the experience in person was just so unexpected. I cannot wait to try out Pantheon!

• Like 4

Yeah to each their own (crazy I know this is the internet differing opinions is supposed to = time for war XD) I feel Pantheon does have a great layout. I personally like the flow of it, seems natural and not wasted at all, and we used to always gripe when stuff was the same ol so I appreciate this is doing something different. Nor do I think it will be uncomfortable, but again opinion only :)

Some of those other points I think are venturing from opinion into trying to be contrarian. I am not sure how one can feel the spike kills the pacing, that seems to be when the top speed section is starting and not sure how it may make the ride feel shorter, isn't it adding ride length? It'd feel very short without it. Even as is I wish there were one or two more elements! That's my only thing, wish it was a tad longer, though I think it's a killer layout.