TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I think the maximum is 4,000 guests, which the state allowed them to do during the Christmas Celebration last year (it was 1,000 initially). 

It's now at least 7500 with speculations of higher, or maybe I'm behind too. Reports are that you can usually get in without a reservation. Whatever, it is possible for it to become crowded at their current staffing and opening level, especially to get food.; Spring Break was bad. Don't buy a huge tasting plan in advance you might spend all day in line. 

I'm not sure what the average is, but that's a totally reasonable number of people for a park of that size.

Also, I haven't skimmed the conference call transcript and it may not even be online yet, but it was announced that year-round operations for dry parks is here to stay.

^Thanks for sharing that report. The park has been much more crowded since April 1. I don't recall seeing anything in the local media that capacity was increased to 13,000 (only that capacity was still "limited").

On 5/6/2021 at 6:50 AM, bill_s said:

Don't buy a huge tasting plan in advance you might spend all day in line. 

We almost bought in advance in 2019, and I'm glad we didn't. Every booth seemed to be at least 20 minutes long. We did our usual wraps and salads during the day. BBQ and beer for dinner.

^The state is poised to lift restrictions on June 15, so my first guess is "probably not."

Here's an article about what the park is doing to bring in more staff.

Busch Gardens, Water Country USA still need 1,000 workers as fewer international student workers return

Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Water Country USA are offering higher wages and benefits to attract more than 1,000 workers this year as businesses compete for staff.

The amusement parks typically add 600 to 1,000 workers each season, so the hiring push isn’t unusual, although demand for workers, particularly in the hospitality industry, is stronger this year, said Kevin Lembke, president of the parks.

You can read more here.

UPDATE: I did come across a tweet saying that Alpengeist (Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, says the park website) and Loch Ness Monster (not listed on the park website) were currently running. I'm going to the park this Sunday, so I guess I'll see for myself.

I strongly expect the full existing coaster lineup to be open. Maybe not all rides and operations. Regular operations, almost surely not until June 15 and who knows after that. Pantheon is unknown, I'm thinking opening and promotion could be reversed. Covid trend looks great, don't catch it before it's gone.

43 minutes ago, rachelmadcow said:

Busch was probably promised by Intamin that they would get this model first in the US. Now the Velocicoaster has totally eclipsed it and it opened first.

LOL where do you guys get this stuff?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, BitterOldHag said:

I noticed the Sky Ride is currently closed too.  :(

It's been closed since last year. That being said, Gov. Northam announced that Virginia will be relaxing restrictions for fully vaccinated persons on May 28 (two weeks ahead of their original schedule). So, stay tuned.

On 5/14/2021 at 9:35 AM, coasterbill said:

Mach Tower usually doesn't open very often in a non-plague year. I wouldn't hold out hope for that one. lol

yeah. . if you see it operating. . go over there.

it's a decent drop tower, but the main reason to ride is the spectacular views you get - Mach Tower rotates the gondola as it raises.
totally worth it for that portion, even if the actual drop part of the ride is only so-so.

• Like 1