TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Hearing everyone complain makes me thankful that I didn't even know vest restraint pain existed. Emily and I have never experienced discomfort from any vest restraint.

Who needs a drone? Just put a guy up in the Sky Ride with a camera and let him brave the high winds.

You'd love to be that guy, wouldn't you?

I love people who defend the useless, cosmetic-only restraints by saying "well they've never HURT me!" Ok great, high bar there! My friend thought they loosened a tooth after the Tempesto buckle smacked them in the face during the first week of operation there.

"They don't hurt" isn't the point and it's a disingenuous point to try to make anyways. We know these rides operate safely without the straps (that for some reason now feature carabiners hanging in your face) so I don't get why people really feel a need to defend them, especially with the low bar of "if they don't injure me they must be fine."

At least we are starting to see a trend away from over the shoulder and collar type restraints. A few years ago I could have never imagined an RMC style ride with the lap bar restraints they have, so at least we can look forward to the future where the industry seems to be pushing for more comfortable, less restrictive restraints. Along with that the idea that lap bars are "less safe" or whatever issue parks have with them will be a thing of the past.

^some of the general public is terrified of roller coasters with only lap bars. I know somebody who rode I305 and loved it but flat out refused to ride Fury 325 because of the restraints.

I can totally understand that, when I was younger and first started riding coasters the aspect of a lap bar being the only thing holding you in was terrifying, but once I got over that fear it was all about comfort, and I don't think you can get much more comfortable than B&M hype/giga trains

I love people who defend the useless, cosmetic-only restraints by saying "well they've never HURT me!" Ok great, high bar there! My friend thought they loosened a tooth after the Tempesto buckle smacked them in the face during the first week of operation there.

"They don't hurt" isn't the point and it's a disingenuous point to try to make anyways. We know these rides operate safely without the straps (that for some reason now feature carabiners hanging in your face) so I don't get why people really feel a need to defend them, especially with the low bar of "if they don't injure me they must be fine."

I hope you're not talking about my comment where I said I was thankful they don't hurt me vs. defending their existence.

Either way, chill out. Tell your friend to wear a mouthpiece.

Posted this on Reddit, but figured it'd be good to do here as well. Let me know if this should be somewhere else!

I will be attending Bassnectar's Basscenter XII event in Hampton, VA for Labor Day weekend (show is Saturday, August 31st + Sunday, September 1st). Many fans, including myself, were expecting it to be a three day event including Friday, August 30th, but as it did not (and I don't want to try and change my hotel reservation), I've started seriously considering going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg that day. Some questions I have:

>I figure I'll need Quick Queue, and I'm looking at either Unlimited ($55 for that day) or Unlimited Plus ($68, but also includes Invadr, Tempesto, and one ride on the new S&S Swing). Which would you recommend? Should I buy beforehand to avoid it selling out? Do Quick Queue lines merge before entering the station or do you have to use the exit ramp?

>My hotel in Hampton is 23min from the park, do you think it'll be easy enough to uber/lyft both ways? I'm not sure how late I'll stay into the evening if ride back opportunities are sparse towards park closing. There appears (on Google Maps) to be one small road connection from the entrance road to the exit road before the parking tolls that should allow the driver to turn around, will it be easy enough to let me hop out there quickly?

>Any coasters/rides that you have to ride with someone? I'll be traveling solo unless anyone wants to meet up from the few coaster groups I'm in on Facebook, and it'd be good to know if I need to find a single rider line for any of the coasters/major flats/log flume.

>How much do food/beer cost during Bier Fest? Any good restaurant recommendations?

I haven't ever been before (I'm traveling from CO), and this is probably the only time for quite a while that I'd be able to take this detour and visit BGW. Would love any advice/answers! Thanks to anyone that responds.

>My hotel in Hampton is 23min from the park, do you think it'll be easy enough to uber/lyft both ways? I'm not sure how late I'll stay into the evening if ride back opportunities are sparse towards park closing. There appears (on Google Maps) to be one small road connection from the entrance road to the exit road before the parking tolls that should allow the driver to turn around, will it be easy enough to let me hop out there quickly?

I've never had trouble with Ubers at the park. Some of them will drop you off right at the main gate if that's what you want and what I normally ask is to be dropped off right outside the England parking lot. You can just walk through there and head to the entrance from there. It's probably the easiest spot especially if you're going to be there for the opening.

After a full day at the park I've never had a problem catching an Uber either and you can just stand outside the main gate and they will come in and get you. Prices are really quite cheap too from my experience.

That's pretty cheap for QQ, probably because they don't have much demand. Tough call on that day's crowds as Sat will be slammed, but tues-Thur have historically been so slack that some parks (KD) have started closing those days. Depends on weather. Sat. and Sun. are blockout days for budget pass, which means avoid ( https://buschgardens.com/williamsburg/annual-pass/blockout-dates/ ).

Planning for 3 days in Williamsburg in July. Original itinerary had us spending 2 of the 3 days at Busch Gardens. That said, is Water Country a worthwhile visit? And if so, is it a full day's worth of activity? Any other water parks that it is comparable to?

We did the Holiday World water park last summer, I was very impressed.

Planning for 3 days in Williamsburg in July. Original itinerary had us spending 2 of the 3 days at Busch Gardens. That said, is Water Country a worthwhile visit? And if so, is it a full day's worth of activity? Any other water parks that it is comparable to?

We did the Holiday World water park last summer, I was very impressed.

They are opening their first water coaster this year: Cutback. Water Country is a very good water park (especially Aquazoid, Big Daddy Falls, and Hubba-Hubba Highway, a fast lazy river).

What’s the deal with quick queue here? Do they assign rows? Tempesto and InvadR not on unlimited? We’re trying to get in and all of Virginia is here today.

What’s the deal with quick queue here? Do they assign rows? Tempesto and InvadR not on unlimited? We’re trying to get in and all of Virginia is here today.

It's a mixed bag. They assign row 2 on Apollo's Chariot for Quick Queue, but on Alpengiest, QQ gets you into the station and you pick your own row. InvadR has an assigned row, too. They don't assign rows for Verbolten, Griffon, or Loch Ness Monster.

It's a mixed bag. They assign row 2 on Apollo's Chariot for Quick Queue, but on Alpengiest, QQ gets you into the station and you pick your own row. InvadR has an assigned row, too. They don't assign rows for Verbolten, Griffon, or Loch Ness Monster.

I thought so. I don't remember them assigning rows on anything BUT Apollo. Emily only likes to ride in the front on inverted coasters, so that's one of the reasons I believe this is so. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

^Yasss I'm going next weekend and I can't wait. This will be my first visit since about 2012 or 2013.

A few questions for you guys- I'm still kicking myself for not reserving Time Saver at Dollywood and they ran out. Does BGW ever really run out of Quick Queue? I've never seen this happen at the Tampa park, but you never know. Of course the website says "limited quantities", but just wanted to be sure.

Also, their sales website does not list Tempesto or Invadr as being available with Quick Queue, is this accurate? I'm kind of thinking Tempesto is the most likely candidate for a long wait given the capacity, is this the only "Laff Trak" of the park to worry about? Thanks!