TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

If Verbolten's show building was even half as detailed as its queue and station, I wouldn't be saying VR would be better. Doesn't even feel like you're in a forest, just some campy blacklight blur. Six Flags and Cedar Fair can get away with campy, Busch used to be classy. At least InvadR and BfE are a step up.

...On second thought, Verbolten has lots of quick transitions. Could send headsets flying. No risk of that with a motion simulator.

If Verbolten's show building was even half as detailed as its queue and station, I wouldn't be saying VR would be better. Doesn't even feel like you're in a forest, just some campy blacklight blur. Six Flags and Cedar Fair can get away with campy, Busch used to be classy. At least InvadR and BfE are a step up.

...On second thought, Verbolten has lots of quick transitions. Could send headsets flying. No risk of that with a motion simulator.

After Six Flags put VR on hyper coasters and SLCs, Verbolten's transitions are child's play by comparison. I still think the coaster doesn't need VR though. I think the theming is decent enough. I also like the fact that the layout is entirely hidden from view in there with the darkness.

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Virginia this weekend. What are BG's weather policies like? (is there a minimum temperature they run the rides at etc?) Weather looks like crap so far...

Saturday looks lovely, Sunday is iffy. I believe the B&M's run at 42 (LOL) and the other coasters run at 36. Unless the forecast is way off or it changes dramatically, it seems like you should be fine. Let's just hope the rain stays away Sunday.

I love Verboltens indoor portion. Its literally themed to a Black Forest, do you want it to look like a disco in there?

But as it is, it's more disco than forest. Blame the stylized blacklight backdrops. If it was more serious in there, and if they made it look good from above, I'd be able to forgive its shortcomings.

Edited by SLCHeadache

I love Verboltens indoor portion. Its literally themed to a Black Forest, do you want it to look like a disco in there?

My thoughts exactly!

You are literally flying around in a dark building at a decently high rate of speed. Even if you do have "detailed theming" like in the queue line... it would just end up being a detailed blur. . .

I personally think Verbolten is amazing, and it's theming works!! I've never heard of anyone complaining about it before. . . Thank God the off season is almost over.

I thought the indoor part was the only good part of the ride I mean, except for that bridge/tunnel facade that still looks goofy as hell.

I just wish most of Verbolten wasn't weak, boring, and slightly uncomfortable. I really wish I could see what Intamin or Mack could've done in that space. I'd even give Verbolten up in a heartbeat to experience BBW one time.

You are literally flying around in a dark building at a decently high rate of speed. Even if you do have "detailed theming" like in the queue line... it would just end up being a detailed blur. . .

But Flight of Fear did that 14 years prior, and much better at that.

I just wish most of Verbolten wasn't weak, boring, and slightly uncomfortable. I really wish I could see what Intamin or Mack could've done in that space. I'd even give Verbolten up in a heartbeat to experience BBW one time.

I saw this one quote on Reddit: "Family coaster is an enthusiast's way of saying “it wasn’t as intense as I wanted it to be”". And that comes to mind when describing Verbolten. But as a "family" coaster, Verbolten misses the mark. 48" is on the top end for minimum heights for a "family" coaster, and it's still a bit too aggressive to be a kid's first big coaster. InvadR was better in both minimum height and intensity balance, but it's still not enough in that regard. But right now, BGW is in need of new high-thrill rides after BfE, though, especially now that KD answered InvadR with Twisted Timbers.

I will still give Verbolten credit for its ambition, and for the fact that it's a better drop ride than Mach Tower. At least Verbolten's gimmick works. Mach Tower's doesn't.

Re: wanting to experience a suspended coaster, Ninja alone was 25% of my reason for my LA 2017 trip and Vortex alone is half of my reason for my Toronto 2018 trip.

Oh wait, I just realized this is the same dude that ranked Verbolten as the worst coaster he's ever ridden in the TPR poll.

Oh dear god. My IQ just dropped another 20 points.

CoasterBill care for a shot?? I feel like it's getting to that point.

giphy.gif

:lol: Oh wait, I just realized this is the same dude that ranked Verbolten as the worst coaster he's ever ridden in the TPR poll. Did the project manager who worked on Verbolten bang your girlfriend or something? Who hurt you?

Hey, at least I changed my poll after I was called out. It may not be the worst, but it's still my least favorite. Contributing to my only bout of vomiting at a theme park does not earn it any favors in my book. Even without that, it's just so much wasted potential.

Man, the reaction I'm getting as I'm explaining my dislike of Verbolten, you'd think I was dissing Knoebels.

That I had to look up the ride concept to figure out what that drop track was supposed to be (roots of an evil tree slamming you down?) proves it didn't tell its story well. I still give them points for trying to tell a story with the ride.

Among rides whose theming involves haunted trees, I think I will prefer Twisted Timbers. If I make it out to Kings Island this year, Mystic Timbers too.

Edited by SLCHeadache

Man, the reaction I'm getting as I'm explaining my dislike of Verbolten, you'd think I was dissing Knoebels.

That I had to look up the ride concept to figure out what that drop track was supposed to be (roots of an evil tree slamming you down?) proves it didn't tell its story well. I still give them points for trying to tell a story with the ride.

Among rides whose theming involves haunted trees, I think I will prefer Twisted Timbers. If I make it out to Kings Island this year, Mystic Timbers too.

You don't always get haunted trees. Sometimes you may get a pack of wolves.

Respecting people's opinions is great and all....But you listed Verbolten as being worse than a boomerang, a God-awful zac spin and Hurler....Yes, Hurler.

At that point your list is just exaggerated, even if you don't like it as much as most people do, you still know its nowhere near the worst.

Ok so I absolutely loved Big Bad Wolf and it's still one of my favorite rides of all time, but damn dude Verbolten was a great replacement. The black forest is awesome/forceful and compared to the other coasters on property it blows them all away in the theming department. Only coaster that comes close is Alpengeist with the snowy parts and skilift trains. I understand not liking it or feeling underwhelmed, but hating it more than a boomerang and zac-spin? That's a bit extreme

You don't always get haunted trees. Sometimes you may get a pack of wolves.

And that was actually pretty good. One of the best moments of theming at the park. The show building would be worth it if the other two scenes were as good.

Respecting people's opinions is great and all....But you listed Verbolten as being worse than a boomerang, a God-awful zac spin and Hurler....Yes, Hurler.

At that point your list is just exaggerated, even if you don't like it as much as most people do, you still know its nowhere near the worst.

Yeah, thanks, TPR, for giving me the reality check I needed

I redid the list to be much less subjective. At the time, I was still bitter that I loved Ninja (the next best thing to the Wolf in the US) and that I had to go all the way to LA for that one, when BGW were silly enough to take that away from us on the East Coast before I could become an enthusiast.

Edited by SLCHeadache