TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

but I'd be willing to be they want the lift going slow enough so that if they send out another train as soon as the block is clear, the one in front has enough time to complete the course without the new train getting stopped. Just a guess!

Based on the POV, it looks like Invadr has two full blocks (stopping points) behind the station, so even if train 2 never makes it into the station, train 1 should have no problem completing the circuit and stopping on the brake run.

I'd lean more toward a slower lift being theoretically "quieter" (given the ride's proximity to residential areas) and also because the ride's so short this makes it seem longer or spend less time on the brake run as others have mentioned.

Had a great visit to BGW on Saturday.

We did the Coaster Insiders Tour - and I was a bit bummed when I got a phone call last week that Griffon's side car would not be in operation for the tour - but we still proceeded to keep our reservation as an "observer" (and got a $25 refund per person) - I'm so glad we did.

We arrived around 8:15 to the Toll Plaza - and were not quite sure where to go as they said that is where we would meet to check-in. The confusion may have been caused by the number of cars that were already at the Toll Plaza (which meant it would be a busy day)!

Once we finally got through, we headed over to the England parking lot (which was great to get the "preferred" upgrade) and checked in with the group.

The tour has two guides - one that is mainly in charge of taking photos of the group, but both were knowledgable about the park and provided insight throughout the tour.

We started with going to the maintenance bay of Lochness - which was cool to see the "underground" transfer area where they work on the trains. They have a leftover train from Python at BGT that they use for spare parts.

After that, we walked down the gravel path to Griffon and to the maintenance bay here as well. Seeing the underside of a train was really cool - they are absolutely massive. We learned about the anti-rollbacks and more about polyurethane than was necessary, but interesting none-the-less.

After we exited the maintenance bay, it was time to ride Griffon. We were put on row 1 for our ride - and just as we were starting up the lift hill, we slowed and then stopped - with a loud clank as the anti-rollback hit. Having just learned about the entire process, it was rather comical when one of the tour guides yelled out "That was the anti-rollback!" from the dock.

We were back up and running in about 5 minutes. They let us on for a second ride after they cycled a few trains.

After Griffon, we headed over to Alpengeist, which was down unfortunately, but still got to tour the maintenance bay and see a "demo" of the locking mechanism for the restrains and how magnets slow the train down (it was cool to try and push a brake fin through the magnet).

Since we couldn't ride, we then headed over to Verbolten. We started out this time riding twice (they didn't want to ruin the "surprise" for those that had not been on the ride). After we rode, they took us up to the operators booth above the station. It was cool to see the cameras in the show house - as they are infrared since it is so dark in the building (the people looked like cartoons on the train).

They then took us over to what was IMO the best part of the tour - going in the show house while the ride was operating. We got to see the four different versions of the show and see trains screaming past us (or trying to see at least). We then got to walk up to the second launch area where the train goes up to the "bridge" before the final drop by the river.

After this, they took us over to Apollo's Chariot for two rides, then back over to Lochness for our two final rides on the tour.

After the tour was over, they gave us a Quick-Queue for Tempesto and a pass to go on Alpengeist later since it was down.

They will be sending a CD of the photos they took on the tour as well - which should be interesting.

If you're any sort of enthusiast, I HIGHLY recommend this tour. The "observer" price is only $50 - and you essentially are guaranteed at least two rides on most of the coasters and some really neat views of the park that most guests do not get to see. The tour lasted about 4 hours total (they stopped for snack breaks too).

InvadR was not a part of the tour (yet) - but we did luck out by hitting the line right after some downtime and got on within 25 minutes. The coaster is a really fun GCI - not the greatest, but really enjoyable. I still don't understand why BGW would put in a low-capacity ride like this with such short trains. But then again, they also put in Tempesto.

I was at the park yesterday, this was my second visit and my first time with a Busch Gardens platinum pass. I really enjoy everything about this park. One thing I found odd especially cause I was just at 4 other parks in their chain in the last month(Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, adventure Island, SeaWorld Orlando and Aquatica Orlando) was that they weren't using metal detectors to get into the park. I just simply walked straight in cause they were only checking bags. I just found it strange since the other 4 I went to all made everyone go through a metal detector.

Wait times weren't so bad yesterday, I expected to wait for Invdr and ended up waiting about 80 mins. I really enjoyed the ride but I wouldn't wait that long again for it. My only complaint is that the overflow line queue really needs some shade. I enjoy Verbolten so much, might be my favorite ride in the park. I can't wait to get back down there for the food and wine festival.

...One thing I found odd especially cause I was just at 4 other parks in their chain in the last month(Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, adventure Island, SeaWorld Orlando and Aquatica Orlando) was that they weren't using metal detectors to get into the park. I just simply walked straight in cause they were only checking bags. I just found it strange since the other 4 I went to all made everyone go through a metal detector...

The metal detectors at the FL parks are a recent implementation (within the last couple years). They started out with temporary detectors during the holidays and then put in more permanent ones in the last year. The Disney & Universal parks have them as well. They may just not feel the need (as of yet) to put them in the VA parks. IMO they just give an overwhelming sense of security to the GP.

We did the Coaster Insiders Tour... After Griffon, we headed over to Alpengeist, which was down unfortunately, but still got to tour the maintenance bay and see a "demo" of the locking mechanism for the restrains and how magnets slow the train down (it was cool to try and push a brake fin through the magnet).

Verboten: After we rode, they took us up to the operators booth above the station. It was cool to see the cameras in the show house - as they are infrared since it is so dark in the building (the people looked like cartoons on the train).

They then took us over to what was IMO the best part of the tour - going in the show house while the ride was operating. We got to see the four different versions of the show and see trains screaming past us (or trying to see at least). We then got to walk up to the second launch area where the train goes up to the "bridge" before the final drop by the river.

If you're any sort of enthusiast, I HIGHLY recommend this tour. The "observer" price is only $50 - and you essentially are guaranteed at least two rides on most of the coasters and some really neat views of the park that most guests do not get to see. The tour lasted about 4 hours total (they stopped for snack breaks too).

That tour sounds AWESOME! I can't believe they let you in the ride op booth and show building for Verbolten - that'd definitely be the highlight for me! What were the other options for the tour you took and what was the difference, since you said yours was just an observer? $50 is a steal for something like that. About how many people were on the tour?

I did a Penguin Encounter during xmastime there and also a wolf training tour. Both were a lot of fun. I haven't been to BGW since then (prob 3-4 years now) because we've been spending too much time traveling to the various Cedar Fair parks, but the tour you described will definitely get me back soon. How far in advance did you book? Thanks for telling us all about it!

There are two options for the Coaster tour - Participant ($75) that includes the ride up the lift in Griffon's side car) and Observer (everything but the Griffon ride up). We had to do the Observer version since Griffon's side car was not working that day.

We booked about 3 weeks out - and there were 8 people on the tour (plus the two guides).

They only offer the tour on certain days as well.

I'd lean more toward a slower lift being theoretically "quieter" (given the ride's proximity to residential areas) and also because the ride's so short this makes it seem longer or spend less time on the brake run as others have mentioned

Forgot about sound as a possibility, that's a good point! Drachen Fire actually had the standard loud "Arrow" rollbacks opening year, but all the kingsmill people complained about how loud it was during morning testing/green tagging, and a silent rollback was invented. It was actually pretty nifty. There was a catch bar mechanism that slid down if the trains started to roll backwards, but didn't actually engage the ratchet bar otherwise, so there was actually no contact until a rollback started to happen. It was sorta eerie hearing the trains go up the lift completely silently. The device itself was pretty nifty, and IIRC, partially home grown. Actually there were a lot of cool things about those trains. There were red trim lights on the trains that were powered by an old MoPed battery hah.

Actually, one of the requests the park had for Alpengeist when it was built was a silent rollback system, so B&M put a special polyethelene/polyurothane hybrid on the rollbacks and chain dogs to make it silent too. Apparently that stopped being an issue or the park stopped bowing to the Kingsmill people, because those Alpengeist rollbacks are louder than hell in recent years.

Speaking of Alpengeist,

After Griffon, we headed over to Alpengeist, which was down unfortunately, but still got to tour the maintenance bay and see a "demo" of the locking mechanism for the restrains and how magnets slow the train down (it was cool to try and push a brake fin through the magnet).

That's news to me! When did Alpengeist get magnetic brakes added? Glad to hear my favorite coaster in the park is getting some love!

I was at the park yesterday, this was my second visit and my first time with a Busch Gardens platinum pass. I really enjoy everything about this park. One thing I found odd especially cause I was just at 4 other parks in their chain in the last month(Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, adventure Island, SeaWorld Orlando and Aquatica Orlando) was that they weren't using metal detectors to get into the park.

To the best of my knowledge, BGW has used metal detectors only once--right after 9/11.

That's news to me! When did Alpengeist get magnetic brakes added?

I don't think it has...? I just watched a few POV's ranging from a year ago to 5 days ago... and all of them still show the coaster running with friction brakes.

That's news to me! When did Alpengeist get magnetic brakes added? Glad to hear my favorite coaster in the park is getting some love!

Not sure if they're actually used on Alpengeist, but they had a demo in the maintenance bay that was a brake fin you could hold and then try and push through a natural magnet to show how it would slow down a train. It was really difficult to push through.

Alpengeist is the father of all inverts. It may not be the best, but no other invert is as imposing and grand. Closest you get is Banshee but even then it's not the same. It's just something about how Alpengeist rises above the trees and everything around it that makes me love it.

Very well said. I remember seeing it for the first time a decade ago and being blown away.

I was in awe my first visit to BGW in June of 1997, especially when I came upon Alpengeist's Immelmann. The only park I had ever been to before then was Carowinds. Before riding this beast, the tallest coaster I had ridden was Carolina Cyclone....well I think I rode LNM first earlier..but still a big jump. This was my first Invert and what an invert to start off my love of them. While I've ridden better since, it's still in my top 10 (as noted below).

My only visit to BGW was somewhere around 2000. I remember Apollo's Chariot was new but I'm not sure it was the first season. I remember as a teenager being so impressed with Alpengeist, particularly by its size, location, and theming. We visited SFMM pretty regularly and I had ridden Batman a number of times before that, so Alpengeist was at least my second B&M invert. But for a long time after that Alpengeist was my favorite invert, probably up until I rode Banshee a couple years ago (I don't get caught up in favorites or top 10s or whatever anymore). I'm really hoping to get back to BGW in the next couple years.

It's Official! My Sis and I are going up for Food and Wine Fest, Memorial Weekend. (I know, we're crazy) We're both excited to check out Tempesto and InvadR since these were not there when we visited in 2014. We both love BGW so much and can't wait to go back even though it will probably be slammed! This park holds a special place in my sister's heart as her first park ever and her first coaster was LNM.

I cannot wait!!