TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

^

Thanks for sharing, Chuck!

Michael's son and two grandkids from Virginia were up last weekend visiting him at the hospital and we were talking about InvadR. Both of the kids were stoked for it, which is cool considering his grandson is at an age where the bigger coasters like Apollo, Griffon and Alpengeist intimidate him.

I believe the only coaster that he has ridden during multiple visits has been Verbolten - and he has even backed out of that a couple of times. I have a feeling that he will enjoy this one once he rides it.

Great photos, Chuck! Well done, mate. The detailed update is appreciated. Height not withstanding, InvadR is shaping up to be the perfect transition for emerging "tweens", not quite ready for "FULL ON" excitement of Alpengeist or Griffen.

Although, having said that, the burning question I have is will Busch Gardens Tampa be receiving a similar treatment or will they decide to kick it up a notch by adding a customised original, RMC creation, think Wildfire at Kolmården, but will perhaps feature RMC's firs vertical loop on a woodie... Wishful thinking, I concur. Although, having said that, it could happen. That is if they are fortunate enough to receive a new wooden coaster, which hopefully they are.

Edited by appleboy007

Is there an exact opening date yet? I plan on being there April 20. Also why are they testing Alpengeist in February?? Weird...

All they said was "April." Rather cagey of them, eh?

As for Alpengeist, the park opens in late March, so testing it now makes sense.

Edited by cfc

My mind is blown that anyone can pick just one single favorite place at BGW. I wouldn't want to make myself do it!

I can't do it. The whole park is so well done. It feels impossible to just pick one spot.

I'm trying to think of just one right now and my mind is bouncing to so many different countries in the park and all of them are great in their own way.

Happy for the ones who can pick, but I can not.

I can't do it. The whole park is so well done.

I mostly agree, though I don't particularly care for France. It's okay, but a step down from the other areas. France needs trees and it needs them desperately.

What France lacks in trees it makes up for in having Griffin. I love Ireland but they really need a signature attraction to anchor it.

I mostly agree, though I don't particularly care for France. It's okay, but a step down from the other areas. France needs trees and it needs them desperately.

What France lacks in trees it makes up for in having Griffin. I love Ireland but they really need a signature attraction to anchor it.

Both fair, France has nice theming but it would be wonderful to have more trees. Ireland does need a better attraction but the show is great in it's appearance and theming (does anyone else still remember the magic show? that was fun).

If I was to pick a least favorite I'd probably go with Festa Italia, but I haven't been there for a few years and it is usually when I'm starting to get tired in the park as I generally head the other way first.

Is there an exact opening date yet? I plan on being there April 20. Also why are they testing Alpengeist in February?? Weird...

At least they announced it before testing began. And speaking of being cagey about when a ride's opening, I'm looking at you, Cedar Point.

Fair enough, but I honestly think Griffon is kind of ugly.. at least compared to Sheikra which fits in to it's area perfectly. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's going to be confused with Six Flags or anything, but I never thought that area was on the level of the rest of the park either.

As for Alpengeist, the park opens in late March, so testing it now makes sense.

With an April opening and your visit date, I'm guessing a little over 50/50 it will be open by April 20. I am willing to guess their actual (more detailed) goal is Easter weekend (Good Friday is April 14)

Fair enough, but I honestly think Griffon is kind of ugly.. at least compared to Sheikra which fits in to it's area perfectly. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's going to be confused with Six Flags or anything, but I never thought that area was on the level of the rest of the park either.

I can see how you could think that, but I think Griffon is one of the most beautiful coasters in America. The way it stands out above the rest of France makes it seem bigger and more imposing, and the openness of the elements adds a sense of grace on and off the ride. SheiKra is also a good looking coaster, but I just think there's something about the way Griffon stands alone that makes it so great.

EDIT: And also, I usually think coasters that blend into their surroundings look better than ones that don't, but Griffon is a major exception for me.

I love Ireland but they really need a signature attraction to anchor it.

Truth.

Fun story: When Ireland was new, I thought a terrain wood coaster would be added using the upper part of the Loch Ness, Rhine River valley. I can't remember the Irish themed name right now, but it would interact with the train trestle. I have a basic line drawing somewhere. Almost a couple decades later, hello Invadr ... different location, but similar.

What's really scary is in 1997 after Alpengeist opened, I thought about a quiet little, tree filled, spot in Italy behind the water balloon game. I drew up a B&M large stand-up (I know, I know) named Gladiator. Two years later, hello Apollo's Chariot.

In short, Ireland needs some attractions ... even if some small flats. Another solid dark ride, a shooter / game, would be extremely smart, but I won't get into that.

Firstly, awesome drawing. I love the detail.

Secondly, while I do agree Ireland could use a roller coaster (and would love to see one), you have to remember that roller coasters aren't the only draw for people to theme parks. For many people, the quiet nature of the Ireland section is a paradise of sorts away from the louder areas. It's a relatively secluded area. Putting in a big ride like a roller coaster would ruin that for many people. Personally, I'd rather see something take the old spot of Drachen Fire (while keeping the same name). In my mind, it would be a B&M flyer with trains designed to look scaly like a dragon. The track would be green or red (instead of DF's blue/teal). Maybe it would have a sweep over the Rhine River. Perhaps there could also be theming reminiscent of BBW's town that you would fly over, simulating a dragon attacking a village. I think that would really be a fun ride.

A little late but nice pics, Chuck. I think my friend was in one of them. She was there because she works for the Greater Williamsburg Chamber and Tourism Alliance and was sending pics to me throughout the day. I thought to myself, "I bet Chuck's there too!"