TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

Agreed, I can't see them adding a major coaster anytime soon since they added Tempesto and now InvadR in the past few years. I would like to see the removal of Europe in the Air for something better though.

I saw Chuck post on twitter today post something about the park posting a flyer that says "Fire Breathing Dragons seen off the coast of New France." So maybe we will see some sort of fire effects on InvadR.

It was this sign on the construction walls by the railroad tracks near New Caribou Station.

CrnPlvPW8AADwzV.jpg:large

It does hint that there might be fire somewhere, but this is just a guess on my part. Take it for what's it's worth.

GCI Flyer

I think I agree with you, assuming you meant a B&M flyer.

I would only expect something of that scale to be built at least five or so years down the road.

Whoops! HAHAHA. Yeah, I definitely meant B&M. Someone above me had mentioned GCI in DF's old location. I guess that's why I had GCI on the mind. That would be something, huh? A GCI flyer.

It was this sign on the construction walls by the railroad tracks near New Caribou Station.

CrnPlvPW8AADwzV.jpg:large

It does hint that there might be fire somewhere, but this is just a guess on my part. Take it for what's it's worth.

I think its a pretty good guess. It'd be a welcome addition to the ride in my eyes.

I didn't think Europe in the Air was that bad but only ride it if you've ridden everything else you wanted to ride already and you're in the mood for something different. We rode it once, it earned a "meh" from us and barring a storm or something where we need to kill time we'll probably never ride it again. Even in that instance we might go see a show instead (and we're not show people).

It falls slightly above that awful Wild Arctic pre-show at Sea World for me.

^^ Soarin' On A Budget.

Accurate.

Europe in the Air was probably the biggest disappointment of the entire park. Having been spoiled by Soarin' I got off of Europe in the Air and found my self thinking... "That was it?? Well damn, that was disappointing."

I'm sure this has been suggested before for that spot, but given the fact the BGT has an Intamin Sky Jump, it wouldn't surprise me to see one pop up at BGW over the next few years. Perhaps they could remove Europe in the Air, and its building, and place it there, as it'd certainly fit. Not sure of the theme, other than perhaps a Banshee, though they'd probably add "Screaming Banshee" or "Banshee's Fury", to distinguish it from KI's ride. (And yes, I know the being two entirely different types of ride should be distinguishing enough, but I still suspect they'd elaborate on the name a little.)

^Personally, I think they'd be better off replacing Mach Tower with a Falcon's Fury clone.

This makes more sense.

I also can't see them adding a Sky Screamer since SFA is adding one. I know they are hours apart but I would think BGW would go for the more unique idea.

I would like to see a new flat in Ireland though for sure.

^Personally, I think they'd be better off replacing Mach Tower with a Falcon's Fury clone.

Is Mach tower still ridiculously unreliable or has it improved at all? In our 2 visits to the park since it opened it was running but obviously that's a small sample size that means absolutely nothing about it's overall reliability.

As a ride I actually enjoy it, though the seats are sort of strange.

^^ Soarin' On A Budget.

Accurate.

Europe in the Air was probably the biggest disappointment of the entire park. Having been spoiled by Soarin' I got off of Europe in the Air and found my self thinking... "That was it?? Well damn, that was disappointing."

I think Soarin' on a budget is generous.

Is Mach tower still ridiculously unreliable or has it improved at all? In our 2 visits to the park since it opened it was running but obviously that's a small sample size that means absolutely nothing about it's overall reliability.

As a ride I actually enjoy it, though the seats are sort of strange.

It's more reliable now than when it first opened. And, hey, it's a drop tower. It goes up, and drops down fast. But the seats are rather uncomfortable.

You know, I apologize for being an idiot, and failing to realize that they already have a drop tower at BGW! I haven't been in a LONG time, and that addition slipped under my radar. Whenever I heard somebody reference it, I just assumed it was an observation tower! But we are on the same page now, and I will agree that an Intamin Sky Jump seems unlikely at this point!

So my daughter and her friend wanted to go to BGW on Friday (9/2) and we had a bring a friend ticket to use... I decided while they were going on rides I would checkout the opening of Bierfest. They offered a good variety of local and international beers and ciders both outside around the Ocktoberfest area and inside at the Brauhaus in Das Festhaus. There were two or three local breweries outside who each featured 4 or 5 different beers. I wound up getting the ten 3oz samplers for $22. They give you a laynard which the brewers or BGW employees punch each time you get a sample. Of course, some of the brewers and BGW employees were a little more generous with their pours than others. Most would fill the small sample cup to the top, but there were some who barely filled it halfway! Also, while the brewers who were onsite were able to discuss specifics about their brews, the BGW employees knew very little about the beers they were pouring and when asked questions would just hand me the folded directory of beers. I did find the prices for a 12oz pour of around $10 a little steep. All that aside, I did enjoy sampling the beers and even tried some ciders which were pretty good. BGW's website says there will 100 different beers over the three weekends of bierfest. IMHO it is a good way for BGW to fill the weekends before HowloScream starts.

Overall the park was not crowded at all during the day with most rides being a walk on, probably had a lot to due with the approaching hurricane/tropical storm. My daughter's 17yo friend had never been to BGW before and she really enjoyed the park. She also loved all the animal exhibits and animal shows. Her favorite coasters were Apollo and Griffon. She even liked Apollo in the rain, which started right around 9pm, and emptied the park.

Agreed, I can't see them adding a major coaster anytime soon since they added Tempesto and now InvadR in the past few years. I would like to see the removal of Europe in the Air for something better though.

Bring back Corkscrew Hill, yes I really liked it! Maybe I'll start an online petition.

Bring back Corkscrew Hill, yes I really liked it! Maybe I'll start an online petition.

I was fine with Corkscrew Hill. At least it wasn't a second rate Soarin'.

Corkscrew Hill was at least original and entertaining.

Let's get back to Howl-o-Scream. The park is offering two upcharge "escape rooms" this year.

No-Escape-Case-of-Mr-Karver-148x175.ashx

No Escape: Case of Mr. Karver--"Mr. Karver’s dolls want to play. The puppet master has created new works of art for his evil encore, and it’s up to you to stop his evil machinations from becoming reality. Searching for clues, you will try to uncover the location of his secret workshop and, if found, attempt to stop him from making any more of his monstrous dolls."

No-Escape-Case-of-Jack-the-Ripper-148x175.ashx

No Escape: Case of Jack the Ripper--"Jack is back and he puts the cape in No Escape. You have heard the tales, now join the yard as you investigate the grisly murders of Jack the Ripper. Guests will be part of the experience as they attempt to solve the riddles before it is too late to catch happy Jack red-handed."

The escape rooms cost $30.00 before 6:00 pm and $40.00 after 6:00 pm. I think the cost is per room. You also get a complimentary photo. More info here.

Anyone else at the park on labor day notice how busy the park was and how understaffed it was. Many rides opened late and verbolten opened at 1130 with both stations being used and four trains then at noon on the dot the closed one station and took off a train, then it was a 90 min wait all day. anyone else at the park Monday notice this