TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Regular Quick Queue is always dumb but the Quick Queue unlimited is actually pretty great in Tampa. It works like a Cedar Fair Fastlane and you can skip the lines as often as you want on everything. In Williamsburg it doesn't work on Loch Ness Monster or Tempesto which is stupid because they're some of the only coasters in the park that regularly have lines.

In Tampa, Montu, Kumba and Sheikra rarely have long lines anyway but they work there just in-case they do. Cheetah Hunt, Flume, Congo Rapids, Scorpion and the mouse (if you care) do get lines though and it's great to be able to skip them all the time. Honestly the park gets so hot with very few indoor attractions that we got it mainly for the flume. Being able to walk right onto it and a skip a 30-45 minute congested queue (seriously... that queue is terrible) as often as we wanted was a godsend since it was pushing 100 degrees. Plus Cheetah Hunt has really low capacity and that was a non-issue with Quick Queue.

I don't know how it works on Cobra's Curse but that's really just a bonus.

I went to Busch Gardens for the first time on Saturday with group of friends, and it was really fun! My 2 favs were Apollo's chariot and Griffon, though I'm tending to lean towards Griffon due to it being my first dive coaster and I guess a more unique experience for me.

On an interesting note, my friends and I got to the front of the line for Tempesto when there was a delay due to one of the orange tags coming off one of the "comfort collars" in the very back row. So some ride mechanic guy had to come and replace the whole collar, which took 20-30 minutes. The Tempesto line was long enough, since it only runs one car. After the earlier "comfort collar" incident, I'm sure Busch Gardens would agree they weren't worth the added feeling of safety, as they seem to be causing quite a few problems and only make the wait in line longer. I dunno...

I was also slightly disappointed by Alpengeist, as although it was much much smoother than most of the similar coasters I've been on (ahem Raptor ahem), I felt that the coaster could've made better use of its relatively big height, as the drop, although fast, offered no air time (at least to me).

Verbolten was a pleasant surprise, as I loved the theming and atmosphere, as well as the ride experience itself. Although I knew there were gonna be two launches, I had no clue about the "drop" part of the ride, which caught me off guard (in a good way).

Overall, I loved my time at Busch Gardens, and will return as soon as I can. I wasn't really able to hit the shows or restaurants while there, as well as Darkastle, so I'll save those for next trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Quick Queue Unlimited in Tampa but it's stupid in Williamsburg.

This is good to hear, as Quick Queue in Williamsburg was such a waste of money that I wasn't even going to contemplate it at BG Africa this August. What are the main differences?

Hmm--not on busy nights during Howl-o-Scream. It's worth the money then.

Verbolten was a pleasant surprise...

Agreed!! When I went to the park my expectations for Verbolten weren't really that "high" But wow, did that coaster deliver!! It quickly became one of my favorites in the park!! Can't wait to ride it again next season!!

Agreed!! When I went to the park my expectations for Verbolten weren't really that "high" But wow, did that coaster deliver!! It quickly became one of my favorites in the park!! Can't wait to ride it again next season!!

I've never been on it, but I do not get why it gets so much hate, it looks like a decent ride and i would love to get around to riding it some day.

I've never been on it, but I do not get why it gets so much hate, it looks like a decent ride and i would love to get around to riding it some day.

It gets so much hate because it replaced the iconic Big Bad Wolf. Nothing more than that. I LOVED Verbolten.

It gets so much hate because it replaced the iconic Big Bad Wolf.

^THIS

I loved Big Bad Wolf, and am still ticked they removed it (as I am with Drachen Fire as well - though at least I understand that one more!) However, Verbolten looks pretty awesome, and I look forward to riding it whenever I get back to BGW again, hopefully next year!

I'm not crazy for verbolten, but I don't hate it either. My biggest problem with it is the last drop that follows the same footprint as Big Bad Wolf. It may be bigger, but on ride, it just doesn't seem that big - especially compared to some of the other rides around the park. The Drop on wolf felt out of control as you swung around close to the water, while verboten felt rather tame and you don't come close to the river. You also have the appearance of the drop area - with BBW, it was heavily wooded, while its much more open now with verbolten.

99% of people on here still wish Big Bad Wolf was around, but it reached its shelf life. It was literally falling apart at the seama from the stress of the trains.

That being said Verbolten is a stellar replacement. The first time I rode it, I too was pleseantly surprised.

I feel like the unfortunate reality of the old Arrow Suspended coasters is that the "better" they are (as in - more forceful, more moments of hard swaying), the quicker they wear out, and the shorter their shelf life is. This would explain why coasters like BBW, and Eagle's Fortress are now gone, and coasters like Draggin' Iron at Cedar Point will likely last forever...

I never had a chance to ride Big Bad Wolf, but my wife and I really enjoyed Verbolten. Standing on its own as a roller coaster it wouldn't be much worth riding, but the dark ride and theming elements make this ride really fun.

Big Bad Wolf was world class and better than anything the park has now as far as I'm concerned. That being said, Verbolten is a very good coaster. I wish they would have invested the money to keep BBW running but I understand why that wasn't economically feasible.

To be honest, Im glad BGW didn't add another B&M to the park. They already have 3 huge world class B&M coasters. Its nice to see them branch out to more unique rides these past couple additions. I'm sure they will go back to B&M one day, but some coaster diversity is always nice.

I think a better replacement for BBW would have been a B&M Flying coaster. The dive down to the river with some sort of splash down effect ala Manta would be amazing.

I like how this guy thinks!

I'm not a big fan of the flying coasters, myself. I enjoy Verbolten--something a bit different from the norm.

We need to hold on the LNM for as long as we can. Arrow Looper's heading to extinction quicker than polar bears these days.

I highly doubt that ride is ever going anywhere.

Me and you hope. It should be fine for awhile, they can get plenty of parts from the dead Arrow coaster gravyard.

I think a better replacement for BBW would have been a B&M Flying coaster. The dive down to the river with some sort of splash down effect ala Manta would be amazing.

I like how this guy thinks!

I'm not a big fan of the flying coasters, myself. I enjoy Verbolten--something a bit different from the norm.

I'm not knocking Verbolten, but you could pretty much replicate much of the Verbolten experience if you placed the ride elsewhere in the park, and Flying Coasters are perfect for being interactive terrain coasters! Myself, I really like them, so yeah, I'm all for anybody adding one, especially if it's well located. Obviously, it's not going to ever happen in Verbolten's spot, but I'm saying that I would have preferred that particular area be used for another terrain-interactive coaster like BBW. Not knocking Verbolten though...

We need to hold on the LNM for as long as we can. Arrow Looper's heading to extinction quicker than polar bears these days.

I highly doubt that ride is ever going anywhere.

Me and you hope. It should be fine for awhile, they can get plenty of parts from the dead Arrow coaster gravyard.

I think S&S makes parts for Arrow coasters don't they? I don't think there's any issue getting parts.