TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

So now that we've kinda overdone the height argument, how about we talk about the coaster itself... Idk what do you think they'll put in for theming?

Here's an even smarter idea. Instead of second guessing a height restriction that hasn't officially been announced yet, or second guessing theming that hasn't been announced either, how about tabling all discussions about the new coaster until more information is released and talk about what is happening at the park NOW and focus and that discussion and current trip reports since we are barely into the 2016 season and the new ride isn't even supposed to open until 2017?

Edited by robbalvey

This is the Alvey family's website and we are all guests here, you should give the man his due respect for all he does for us both by maintaining this site and all the great events put on by the Alveys over the years.

I wish I saw a little more respect out of this young generation.

Im excited to see lightning rod in july, and make my first visit to the park since 2007. Cant wait to see all the changes over the years and get to ride Wildeagle!!!

Any ideas of how to go about the park?

I think you took a wrong turn.

Even super safety conscious Japan has height restrictions for their full coasters that match this "family one." Looking at Disney following Robbs example, the highest I saw was 117cm for Raging Spirits (and Journey with all it's speed and that nice pop at the end), looking elsewhere, even Kawasemi a air time filled mega-lite and Regina a full sized intamin woodie are only 120cm height restrictions so only 1" higher than 46".

Perhaps it's a racing/dueling ala lightning racer?

Nope, if you look at the pdf file the park released, the plans show a single track coaster.

it's dueling coasters head on, on the same track!

you can only ride it once, but it will be a thrilling ride!!!

I just thought I'd throw in that my 8 (almost 9) year old sister is just over 54" in shoes.
Kristen is 9 and in shoes she's barely 51 inches. Sure there are kids taller

That wasn't my point. I was trying to say that averages can be different everywhere. Since they're just average for their grade, what really defines average now? Especially if your daughter is 51" and that age. Anyway, back to coaster talk because height studies definitely aren't my thing

the median height of a 9 year old child is roughly 54 inches (doesn't that number sound familiar?) without shoes.

Bullshit. Kristen is 9 and in shoes she's barely 51 inches.

Sure there are kids taller, but if I was a betting man, I'd say most 9 year olds would be totally hit & miss on a 54" height restriction. A 10 year old, you're getting closer. But 9? No way most 9 year old kid is going to make it on, not even close.

After doing some research (because I was curious) turns out an average 9 year old child is going to be about 49-52 inches (without shoes). Obviously there are some that will be taller, but the average is 49-52 inches (Without shoes)... So I'm not sure where the:

the median height of a 9 year old child is roughly 54 inches

comes from.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_11/sr11_252.pdf

Mean is 137.9 cm for males (54.29 in), 137 cm for females (53.93). The 50th percentile for both boys and girls is 136.7 (53.81 in). This is considered the most accurate and up to date anthropometric available related to Americans. I had pulled up a different chart where I found it at work, but the posted growth charts would contradict me and suggest that the median 50% percentile mark i cited could be lower than that. It might also be that the label on the chart was erroneously written and they meant "mean". But I can't back up that specific initial statement with 5 minutes of Googling right now, and so take that for what you will. Anyways....

edit: this doesn't mean other tables are "wrong" either - the WHO would be basing their numbers in global data, which means a lot of countries where malnutrition may stunt growth or where the overall population averages being shorter see significant representation (China, India, Japan, etc). CDC's Clinical Growth Charts are based on data from the 2000 survey and attempts to smooth out a significant variance in the height reported between the first six months of 9 year olds lives and the second 6 months. Other charts may be based on any number of different data sets. I can't tell simply looking at them. By and large, insurance companies are not going to sit around and try to cut a theme park a break in pricing by running data sets in ArcGIS to see if there's a disproportionate Asian or Mestizo population near a given park that might affect the average height of the patrons specifically going. They'd look at those CDC mean numbers and adjust accordingly based on the age by which the park/manufacturer wants to allow patrons on.

On to a more interesting topic, the customized cannoli station are assume. I love that they offer shells dipped in pistachio nuts.

I ate in the Italian/Asian restaurant. I was afraid to order the Mongolian Beef as it looked to be sitting for awhile, but is was very tender. The sauce was very tasty, but not like any Mongolian beef sauce I had tried prior. It was not spicy and more resembled a black bean sauce. Still very good, just not spicy as I expected.

On to a more interesting topic, the customized cannoli station are assume. I love that they offer shells dipped in pistachio nuts.

I ate in the Italian/Asian restaurant. I was afraid to order the Mongolian Beef as it looked to be sitting for awhile, but is was very tender. The sauce was very tasty, but not like any Mongolian beef sauce I had tried prior. It was not spicy and more resembled a black bean sauce. Still very good, just not spicy as I expected.

Hey, those sound like great additions! Let's spend the next five pages discussing the height requirement for the cannoli stand. I'm not saying that this cannoli stand is bad, I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense for them to add one, since the waffle cart at Six Flags Great Adventure's holiday in the park has a much lower height requirement! And the rotten stale pretzel carts at all the parks have a low height requirement for all ages. Even though the park needed a cannoli cart, and all the cannoli stations at Kings Dominion are too small, I'm just saying that they should have added a rotten stale pretzel cart.

I'm sorry, I just had to do that joke!

Sorry for the double post but I was thinking about the ride description these past few days....

When it says attack or defend the village, does anyone think we could see a duel station with one train facing forwards and one facing backwards? Or maybe a train with half the cars facing forward and half backwards?

^Hmm--not really. If it does, indeed, "duel," I see it as something more like Lightning Racer at Hersheypark or the woodie at Efetling.

If we are talking dueling woodies (although I doubt it) maybe it could be like Stampida or Gwazi with a few head to head moments, because when everyone wishes for dueling woodies those are definitely top of the list.

I doubt it will be dueling, the schematics show that the area just isn't big enough which is why I suggested the duel station providing two different experiences. I just feel as if there will be something "special" to diffienterate it from the other GCi woodies.