TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

As to the stairs/buildings in the plans, the old Le Mans queue area was a building about that size and yes, had 2 stories worth of steps involved.

the steps were outdoors, the loading zone was not in a 35 foot long building, and the cars were at ground level - clearly not the case here as the queue walkway cuts between the two buildings. if you really think those plans support a le mans revival then I really just don't know what else to say, except that you're wrong.

Well to be honest, nobody knows anything...Hence the speculation. Until definitive plans are released nobody is right and wrong.

Huh, I wouldn't rule out a return of the Le Man's raceway either. Not saying that's it, but the building plans we've seen would match that, and it could easily go under the flume. Le Mans was HUGELY missed by families when it left, and I know the park got quite a few complaints about it going. Could be all smoke and mirrors still, but I wouldn't personally oppose a family car ride returning to the park.

A Le Mans revival in THAT location?!?!?!

As to the stairs/buildings in the plans, the old Le Mans queue area was a building about that size and yes, had 2 stories worth of steps involved.

the steps were outdoors, the loading zone was not in a 35 foot long building, and the cars were at ground level - clearly not the case here as the queue walkway cuts between the two buildings. if you really think those plans support a le mans revival then I really just don't know what else to say, except that you're wrong.

Why do you keep calling the building a loading zone? How do you know it's a loading zone? Are you inside on this project to make such claims? Does it say that somewhere on the plans that I'm not seeing? There was a 35ish foot long building literally as a part of the Le Mans raceway. That's just a fact. A building can be a part of an attraction without being a loading zone. It's called a "covered queue" so guests can wait without getting rained on. I see no reason why this couldn't be a covered queue. It actually makes more sense as that than a loading station, because the loading station theory doesn't have the most logical entry and exit points for track, whereas if this is just a covered queue, then it has EXACTLY enough entrances/exits (one of each). That area has a few hills, so it's completely possible to need to go up a few steps to get to the "level" surface needed for a covered queue.

I agree that it looks like it could also be a station for a family coaster, and in fact that is what I would prefer. But I don't have any degrees in a relevant field to know for sure. If you do, ok then I suppose you have a one up on me. There's also the fact that they still haven't filed a height waver, giving an increased likelihood this attraction stays on or close to the ground.

Once again, I will say for the third time, this is not my first guess. My first guess is still family coaster. But my guess is a guess, and I would put strong money that anyone in a position to do anything but guess is under an NDA and not participating in this discussion. I would prefer not to be told "you are for sure wrong" by someone who themselves does not "for sure" know any more or less than I do.

Why do you keep calling the building a loading zone?

because I can read blueprints.

All other inaccuracies (and there are many) in your post aside, look at the attached image and tell me this: if the queue enters from the green star, follows the yellow path, goes up a flight of stairs, passes through a building, and then on the other side follows the red arrow down an ADA-accessible ramp back to the starting point...

...WHERE else do you suggest that the loading area might be?

ss.thumb.jpg.b6d93089d8198ab607f9a5b3054555e7.jpg

Huh, I wouldn't rule out a return of the Le Man's raceway either. Not saying that's it, but the building plans we've seen would match that, and it could easily go under the flume.

Are we looking at the same plans? Ive never seen an antique cars ride with a 35 foot long loading station elevated 14 steps off the ground. not to mention the logistics of crossing over the train tracks several times.

Also, didn't they remove Le Mans because of how expensive it was to run the whole thing due to maintenance and, above all else, the cost of using gas for the cars? I doubt enough has changed in that respect over the past ten years (2006 was the final year Le Mans ran) that a similar attraction would make sense.

The park has changed hands twice since that decision. The blowback from removing Le Mans and then Wolf 3 years later was pretty big in the local community. They pull out the cars all the time for special events because people loved them so much. There are also many other parks still running their car rides, so I don't see why it should be considered unreasonably expensive. If they did a scaled down version with fewer tracks, it would fit the more realistic usage they were seeing after the 90s, provide the family ride people enjoyed, and not cost as much to maintain. Plus, they still have all the cars as far as I'm aware (they sure parade at least a few of them out often enough).

As to the stairs/buildings in the plans, the old Le Mans queue area was a building about that size and yes, had 2 stories worth of steps involved. Nothing in the plans screams roller coaster either. Those buildings are TINY! I think a family coaster is very possible, but it's not a guarantee and unless the teaser is designed to throw people off, I really don't see the park having two different car themed family coasters.

Oh, and last I checked, the Quebecois still speak french so I wouldn't rule out a French sounding name.

Like I said in my first post, it's not where I'm putting all my eggs, but there's plenty of clues to support it, and nothing to suggest it as something to rule out.

Yes, that is absolutely true, but New France is meant to be Frontier-Era Canada where cars were still a ways off. I just think a car ride in an area that is meant to be set in the 1600's-1800's would feel strange.

Why do you keep calling the building a loading zone?

because I can read blueprints.

All other inaccuracies (and there are many) in your post aside, look at the attached image and tell me this: if the queue enters from the green star, follows the yellow path, goes up a flight of stairs, passes through a building, and then on the other side follows the red arrow down an ADA-accessible ramp back to the starting point...

...WHERE else do you suggest that the loading area might be?

Once again you're hinging your assumption on the fact that this is a ride, which is not confirmed. It's fine to assume it is, but to STATE it, is something a bit different, which is what I'm trying to get you to notice about your verbiage. Also, if this was a loading station for a coaster with an entrance and exit pathway how you highlighted (which is again very possible, and I reached the same conclusion about 10 pages back), the track only seems to be able to come out the front. I'm not say it can't do that, but if it's a single story building, for the track of a coaster to go out both ends with stairs oriented on the northwest and south east walls, it will either need to go over or under what you are calling a queue path, and directly through another building. Maybe this is a single in/out style station. Maybe the track goes underground (doubtful from looking at the sewer drainage plans on the same blueprints) maybe the track goes over a path (doubtful given the height of the building, although not impossible either).

Or... maybe it's a covered queue. You might also note that the ADA ramp you pointed out is labeled "alternate ADA access ramp," which means it could be an exit doubling in use for ADA access, or it might just be a ramp to let wheel chairs in from a different direction than the main entrance.

And once again, there is the very important point that they have not filed a height waver, meaning this attraction almost certainly stays on or near the ground. Even cobra's curse is over the height restriction, so this would be a very short coaster if it is one. That doesn't rule it out, but that is something that really should be noticed when making predictions on the information we currently have.

Again, I am not saying you are wrong, but I don't think we have enough information to make definitive claims. You have already decided on certain "facts" that are unproven, which means all the arguments you're making hinge on unproven facts. That makes any argument speculation. Which is fine. But you need to acknowledge that.

Edited by DrachenfireOP

^ I would ride the hell out of a beaver car. But lets not forget the real mode of transportation for the great white north: MOOSE!

No, silly, that's for the next German expansion. A roller coaster themed to the Moose test.

IF by the amazing chance that it is indeed a coaster that interacts with the log flume. Do you think the Le Mann's car is hinting what the train would look like if it was a coaster? isnt that car of french origin. and they use to race them if im not mistaken.

I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but my OCD is going wild on this one: Its a Lemans car, not Le Mann's (which would imply it belonged to a guy named Le Mann). Yearly 24-hour race in France. As for the plans, I would hope we're seeing something big (a la RMC or even a GCI), but I have a gut feeling we're seeing a Cobra's Curse-style ride.

For whatever reason I don't see this on their website, does anyone know the hours for Season Pass preview day? We had planned to go to Dollywood but since a delayed opening for Lightning Rod is seeming more and more likely by the day we're considering going to Williamsburg as they're the only other park in the region open that weekend (and we still need to check out Tempesto).

Also, are pass processing lines generally manageable that day?

Thanks in advance!

I never got to ride Drachen Fire as I was too short when I was last at the park when it was still running (I think it was 1995). By the time I made another visit (2001), it was still standing, but not operating. Then when I last visited in 2003, it was gone. I am well aware it had an earned reputation of being terribly rough, so it's probably best it was removed. Despite that, I think the name and logo are simply awesome and I wouldn't be against them reusing the name if they ever chose to put a roller coaster in Drachen Fire's old location. Does anyone agree or disagree?

I never got to ride Drachen Fire as I was too short when I was last at the park when it was still running (I think it was 1995). By the time I made another visit (2001), it was still standing, but not operating. Then when I last visited in 2003, it was gone. I am well aware it had an earned reputation of being terribly rough, so it's probably best it was removed. Despite that, I think the name and logo are simply awesome and I wouldn't be against them reusing the name if they ever chose to put a roller coaster in Drachen Fire's old location. Does anyone agree or disagree?

I agree, but I won't go into detail why. This has been discussed 500 times in this thread, just skim back some pages and you'll see numerous opinions on this topic.

I think the Le Mans piece of the teaser is really a red herring... I'd be a little surprised if this ended up being another coaster so soon after Tempesto but it would be nice if this was a collection of new rides including a coaster and the return of a Le Mans-level family attraction, similar to how SeaWorld San Diego is adding the submarine dark ride as well as a few flat rides.

Hello everyone, planning my first trip to Busch gardens Monday March 21st. Wanted to know what kind of crowds to expect? My friend is also concerned if he will be able to fit on most of the rides as he is a bigger guy, about 6'0 250lbs. Will any rides in particular be trouble?

Hello everyone, planning my first trip to Busch gardens Monday March 21st. Wanted to know what kind of crowds to expect? My friend is also concerned if he will be able to fit on most of the rides as he is a bigger guy, about 6'0 250lbs. Will any rides in particular be trouble?

It is spring break in Virginia, but Monday should be OK. Your friend should be OK, too, although he'll need the "big boy" seats on Alpengeist and Griffon. It's hard to say without knowing his body type.

I think the Le Mans piece of the teaser is really a red herring... I'd be a little surprised if this ended up being another coaster so soon after Tempesto but it would be nice if this was a collection of new rides including a coaster and the return of a Le Mans-level family attraction, similar to how SeaWorld San Diego is adding the submarine dark ride as well as a few flat rides.

I think that would be a pretty good addition, but I don't think they'd be able to fit Le Man's and a coaster in that footprint.

I'm 6' 4" and 250 lbs. and I can manage just fine in the normal seats on Alpie/Griffon and can get on AC. I know I'm 4 inches taller than your friend which might edge him into "big boy" seats as mentioned above, but he might just get into the normal seats! I actually have a little room to go for Griffon/Alpie without it being an issue. That said, thighs are the issue on AC, so if his legs are larger, he might be SOL there since that's a "you fit or you don't" coaster

Just use the demo seats at the entrance to the rides to be sure. If the belt clicks, he fits! On AC if the harness on the demo locks, he's good to go. LNM, Verbolten, and Tempesto won't be an issue at all.

For non coasters, the only rides in the park that MIGHT be an issue are Mach Tower and Wave Swinger. Again though, he is almost certain fine for those (and neither of those is going to ruin your trip if he can't. Mach Tower may well not even be running when you're there, and if it is, it's not really the best drop tower out there other than a killer view).

IF by the amazing chance that it is indeed a coaster that interacts with the log flume. Do you think the Le Mann's car is hinting what the train would look like if it was a coaster? isnt that car of french origin. and they use to race them if im not mistaken.

Outside chance this could be it....But there is already car themed trains on Verboten so I can't see that being it.

That being said, "Le Scoot" and "Le Mann's" have been teased, leaving me to believe that the new ride will have the word "Le" in front of it.

Leetaka