TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

What's the terrain even like in that area? Obviously there's the ravine that Alpengeist and Le Scoot run through, but it isn't nearly as deep as, say, where the Rhine runs. What kind of terrain do they really have to work with?

There are some hills in the area. If it drops down the ravine where Le Scoot and Alpie are it could be a considerable drop. Imagine the coaster interacting with those two rides.

There are some hills in the area. If it drops down the ravine where Le Scoot and Alpie are it could be a considerable drop. Imagine the coaster interacting with those two rides.

And Busch Gardens turning into Hersheypark? No thanks.

What's the terrain even like in that area? Obviously there's the ravine that Alpengeist and Le Scoot run through, but it isn't nearly as deep as, say, where the Rhine runs. What kind of terrain do they really have to work with?

There isn't really much to work with back there actually that isn't already taken up by Alpengeist or the Log Flume. Alpengeist pretty much goes all the way back to the Festhaus loading area, and there's the service road between Alepngeist and DarKastle which is needed not only as a service road, but for emergency vehicles. Other than that, you're mostly looking at flat ground. Between the train and the log flume there isn't much room, and it's mostly flat. There are small hills, but nothing that would allow for a big trench drop down like you have in the old BBW site pre-Verbolten (since they leveled a lot of that out for the Verbolten show room) or LNM. On the other side of the train is also flat, and is actually a very small area between the train and the service road. Any ride crossing the tracks there is very unlikely, and a wooden coaster would shock me even more because of the size of their support structure vs. the clearance needed for the train (leaving very little space left over til the service road).

As to interaction, while not impossible, there isn't much space left around Alpengeist in that area that new construction wouldn't violate a reach envelope for either ride. What little space there is between Alpie and the flume is used by yet another service road for the water main return servicing for the flume. The flume is a pretty tricky animal because there's lots of pavement and piping going on back there. Not impossible, but rather impractical. I'm not opposed to ride interaction, I just don't see it as super likely (I still say they missed an opportunity to wrap Tempesto around AC... only half joking hah)

If they wanted to be really funky and creative, it could go over pathways in France and into that little grassy area behind the Royal Palace Theater, but that would involve going over some large eating areas, paved areas, Trappers, the employee park entrance, the train, caribou station, and multiple shops. That's unlikely.

As I see it, there's really only three major options worth entertaining on the current information:

1) This is a family coasters.

2) This is not a coaster

3) This is smoke and mirrors and if there is a major ride coming, it's going somewhere else.

There isn't really much to work with back there actually that isn't already taken up by Alpengeist or the Log Flume. Alpengeist pretty much goes all the way back to the Festhaus loading area, and there's the service road between Alepngeist and DarKastle which is needed not only as a service road, but for emergency vehicles. Other than that, you're mostly looking at flat ground. Between the train and the log flume there isn't much room, and it's mostly flat. There are small hills, but nothing that would allow for a big trench drop down like you have in the old BBW site pre-Verbolten (since they leveled a lot of that out for the Verbolten show room) or LNM. On the other side of the train is also flat, and is actually a very small area between the train and the service road. Any ride crossing the tracks there is very unlikely, and a wooden coaster would shock me even more because of the size of their support structure vs. the clearance needed for the train (leaving very little space left over til the service road).

As to interaction, while not impossible, there isn't much space left around Alpengeist in that area that new construction wouldn't violate a reach envelope for either ride. What little space there is between Alpie and the flume is used by yet another service road for the water main return servicing for the flume. The flume is a pretty tricky animal because there's lots of pavement and piping going on back there. Not impossible, but rather impractical. I'm not opposed to ride interaction, I just don't see it as super likely (I still say they missed an opportunity to wrap Tempesto around AC... only half joking hah)

If they wanted to be really funky and creative, it could go over pathways in France and into that little grassy area behind the Royal Palace Theater, but that would involve going over some large eating areas, paved areas, Trappers, the employee park entrance, the train, caribou station, and multiple shops. That's unlikely.

As I see it, there's really only three major options worth entertaining on the current information:

1) This is a family coasters.

2) This is not a coaster

3) This is smoke and mirrors and if there is a major ride coming, it's going somewhere else.

I'm going with 3. It makes no sense to hype a family coaster this early.

On the other side of the train is also flat, and is actually a very small area between the train and the service road. Any ride crossing the tracks there is very unlikely

the plans clearly show "layout" shaped clearing on both sides of the train track.

What ever ride they build, regardless if it is a B&M or a RMC or what ever I hope it interacts with the river. I am just drooling over the idea of a B&M flyer that dives near the water or an an RMC that plays with that terrain and does some inverted stall element over the water.

Whatever it is, I don't see them formally announcing it in its entirety for a long while - at least not until after the season starts. They'll lose 2016 season pass revenue if they jump too early.

Whatever it is, I don't see them formally announcing it in its entirety for a long while - at least not until after the season starts. They'll lose 2016 season pass revenue if they jump too early.

I think as time goes on they'll begin to space out teasers and then formally announce a month or two into the season.

I'm betting all my chips on a wooden coaster. First the hammer, and then the wooden background at the end of the video.

Sorry to ruin your detective work but that is a metal hammer with a wood handle, the hammer is a hybrid. A mallet is a wooden hammer.

Please send all your chips my way, thank you.

The plans that were released are incredibly detailed sewage/drainage/landscape plans. If they're fake, they took a lot of work, and I'm not sure anyone working in the engineering department of a park has that much time on their hands

When I interned at an engineering firm, everyone mostly did excel work and paper signing stuff and then eat wings during happy hour at a local bar after. Very slow and boring.

Didnt they announce Mako before the season started? I agree with your point and Sea World may be different b/c it is a year long park. I wouldn't be surprised if they dragged this one for the next few months and announced around memorial day. Announcing early I don't think effects the number as much as people think. These marketing campaigns are really for us hardcore fans that make out of market trips.

I'm betting all my chips on a wooden coaster. First the hammer, and then the wooden background at the end of the video.

Sorry to ruin your detective work but that is a metal hammer with a wood handle, the hammer is a hybrid. A mallet is a wooden hammer.

Please send all your chips my way, thank you.

I think as time goes on they'll begin to space out teasers and then formally announce a month or two into the season.

This seems likely to me, as well.

I'd be all for a terrain RMC like the coasters at DW & SDC, but it would be nice if they got a good family coaster as well.

My partner's grandson is still too hesitant to go on much more than Verbolten and the flat rides (which there are not a lot of) when we visit the park. The last time we visited last year, he changed his mind and would not even ride Verbolten despite the fact that he has ridden it a couple of times on the previous visit.

^ gonna have to disagree with the lack of flat rides at BGW. I don't know of many parks with as many flat rides as them (knobels maybe?) Six flags and Cedar Fair parks tend to be coaster heavy more often than not. My GF won't ride any coasters, even verbolten, so she stays home for six flags or CF parks most of the time, but loves BGW since there's plenty of rides she'll go on.

I do agree that a non-inverting and/or family coaster would round them out even more since they already have some high octane stuff, but anything they add will work really given the spread they already have.

RMC is great, but honestly an Intamin woodie would be an awesome way to go if they do finally decide to push for one.

^ gonna have to disagree with the lack of flat rides at BGW. I don't know of many parks with as many flat rides as them (knobels maybe?) Six flags and Cedar Fair parks tend to be coaster heavy more often than not. My GF won't ride any coasters, even verbolten, so she stays home for six flags or CF parks most of the time, but loves BGW since there's plenty of rides she'll go on.

I do agree that a non-inverting and/or family coaster would round them out even more since they already have some high octane stuff, but anything they add will work really given the spread they already have.

RMC is great, but honestly an Intamin woodie would be an awesome way to go if they do finally decide to push for one.

I'll be on the first train out if they open an Intamin Pre-Fab at BGW

capture13.png?w=966&h=912&crop=1

I just found this.

As you can see in this screenshot of the park’s plans, the proposed project site area encompasses the back of “French Fur Trapper’s Village” (better known as New France) and the area behind Le Scoot.

I also found this.

capture-15.png?w=966&h=573&crop=1

Maybe not as big as I thought.

*Credit to Busch Dominion*