TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

Anyone think that in the video when "drop" is mentioned it could be in reference to a new passenger drop for the train? Possibly a new themed area thats been rumored for years?

I also wouldn't be surprised if Pompeii is getting axed. Either for a new coaster or a new improved water ride.

^I'd be very surprised if Pompeii got the ax. As for a new country where Drachen Fire used to stand, I'd love to see that happen.

My reasoning for it would be that it has a high operating cost and low ridership. A Mack water coaster re-theme could be pretty cool.

I think the based on the time and they way they said "the drop" it appears they are building some roller coaster that will be big and expensive. My money is on a B&M winged rider that will use that the terrain, and have some great near misses. I don't think they will be getting a record breaker but they will get something that is reliable, beautiful and integrates well.

I'd also be shocked to see Pompeii get the axe. I don't think it has low ridership. If any water ride would go or be overhauled, I'd suspect rapids. Ever since the loading policy change, that ride has been a capacity nightmare.

I'd also love to see a new country, but I like to always bring up whenever people discuss a possible train station at the Drachen Fire site that the train actually can't stop there because of the grade of the tracks. If the train has an e stop there, they actually need to back the train up to the trestle, then get a running start to make it up the grade. I'm not saying they couldn't divert the track because I honestly don't know. I just know that as of now it's not a possibility.

I'd also be shocked to see Pompeii get the axe. I don't think it has low ridership. If any water ride would go or be overhauled, I'd suspect rapids. Ever since the loading policy change, that ride has been a capacity nightmare.

I'd also love to see a new country, but I like to always bring up whenever people discuss a possible train station at the Drachen Fire site that the train actually can't stop there because of the grade of the tracks. If the train has an e stop there, they actually need to back the train up to the trestle, then get a running start to make it up the grade. I'm not saying they couldn't divert the track because I honestly don't know. I just know that as of now it's not a possibility.

I agree with you that Roman Rapids could use some work. Even with a short line, the wait is often ridiculous.

As for the train and the "grade" question, of which I've seen no actual corroboration outside of posts on the Internet (but I'm not saying you're wrong, either), I imagine that where there's a will, there's a way, whether it's changing the grade, rerouting the tracks, or modifying the trains (but I'm not an engineer). The old Drachen Fire spot would be a logical place for a new country and train station, and I'd be quite happy to see this happen.

Pompeii is one of the best rides in the park, we ride it every time we go regardless of temperature.

I'm not saying it is a bad ride, it is actually one of my favorites as well. I've also never waited over 5

minutes for it even on summer weekends. The idea of it being removed isn't as far fetched as it seems. Some ride ops over at BGWfans say the ride has some of the lowest ridership along with a high operating cost and being a maintence nightmare.

The ride location itself makes the perfect area to put a new rollercoaster. Less tree removal would be needed (we know how they love their trees) and it could use the ravine near by for some great terrain elements. Think of this as well, if it is a wooden rollercoaster (whether it be RMC or something else) it makes sense to put it towards the front of the park away from KingsMill. San Marco is one of the only area's in the park without a coaster besides Ireland and England, so I wouldn't rule this out.

My speculation is based off of facts I've heard. At the end of the day it is just speculation, but it seems to be a growing idea that Pompii could be removed. Just my .2 cents.

I agree with you that Roman Rapids could use some work. Even with a short line, the wait is often ridiculous.

As for the train and the "grade" question, of which I've seen no actual corroboration outside of posts on the Internet (but I'm not saying you're wrong, either), I imagine that where there's a will, there's a way, whether it's changing the grade, rerouting the tracks, or modifying the trains (but I'm not an engineer). The old Drachen Fire spot would be a logical place for a new country and train station, and I'd be quite happy to see this happen.

I agree. I also don't think it'd be impossible to divert, and would personally love to see that as an option, but I have no idea so I don't want to speculate if the park would ever consider or not.

Also, I can tell you with confidence the grade is a legit issue. Unfortunately I don't think the park would like if I or anyone else posted a source to the grade question, but when I was crosstrained (harr harr) to ride on the back of the train, it was part of the SOP and training test. I still have all my old SOPs but even though I'm quiet long departed from the company, I doubt they'd want me scanning those on the internet. (Which is a shame because all it really shows is how well their emplyees are trained and how safe the rides are.)

The only time I'm personally aware of an evac on a train actually happened on the end of the Rhine river trestle, because they had an e stop, and we're having trouble getting blue moving again and they actually dislodged the Johnson Bar (big drive stick on the wheels) while trying. They evac ed the guests, then decoupled the cars and had red come tow the blue cars backwards slowly around the track after the park closed, then towed the engine back to caribou. It was an interesting day and I wasn't even working on the train when it happened!

Hey guys,

So I just came across an archive of press-release photos for the park, ranging from opening year to present. The pictures were so cool I just had to share them with you!

First guests arrive at the park on opening day.

Loch Ness Monster construction photo

The original "trams" to the park.

Dedication ceremony for the Loch ness Monster

Opening year at the Loch Ness Monster

Vincent Price on the Loch Ness Monster.

Octoberfest under construction. The big cleared area is where Das Festhaus is today.

Anyone on these boards that road "Glissade?" The park's first coaster. I think it's in Mexico now IIRC.

Das Wilderkatz, a short lived coaster that was replaced by the Big Bad Wolf and later Verbolten.

Big Bad Wolf testing.

The Oakridge Boys on the Big Bad Wolf.

Media day for the Big Bad Wolf in 1984.

Vincent Price on the Big Bad Wolf.

Yup, Busch used to have one of these! It sat where the Swings are today. The swings at that time were where Mach Tower is now, and the Katapult was in Hastings!

It takes a special kind of brave to go no-hands on Drachen Fire! I like this picture because it's like a coaster-nerd "upskirt" photo where you get a good look at the flat running boards under the train where the feederwheels pushed the ride along in the station/ready brakes.

My avatar! This picture was taken in the off-season before 1996 (after DF was castrated and lost the diving corkscrew).

Wildmaus when it was still called Wildmaus and at BGW.

Alpengeist just after getting topped off!

Opening year Alpengeist media shot.

The infamous "Fabio" incident.

The (thankfully) short lived "King Arthur's Challenge" ride that was briefly in the park between Questor and Corkscrew Hill. It was worse than Europe in Air if you can believe that.

I love these kinds of promotional coaster photos.

Really awesome picture of Griffon.

Media Day hardhat tour for Verbolten. (Were any of you there?)

Many of you likely saw a shot like this, but I think it's a particularly good one of both Tempesto and Larry Giles.

And now for a few really great aerial shots!

Really cool! Drachen fire is probably the ride I wish I could have ridden the most. I don't know why but I find it very interesting. Also, I'm aware it wasn't exactly smooth but I like how it appears to be the only arrow with "normal" corkscrew entries.

Pompeii is one of the best rides in the park, we ride it every time we go regardless of temperature.

I'm not saying it is a bad ride, it is actually one of my favorites as well. I've also never waited over 5

minutes for it even on summer weekends. The idea of it being removed isn't as far fetched as it seems. Some ride ops over at BGWfans say the ride has some of the lowest ridership along with a high operating cost and being a maintence nightmare.

The ride location itself makes the perfect area to put a new rollercoaster. Less tree removal would be needed (we know how they love their trees) and it could use the ravine near by for some great terrain elements. Think of this as well, if it is a wooden rollercoaster (whether it be RMC or something else) it makes sense to put it towards the front of the park away from KingsMill. San Marco is one of the only area's in the park without a coaster besides Ireland and England, so I wouldn't rule this out.

My speculation is based off of facts I've heard. At the end of the day it is just speculation, but it seems to be a growing idea that Pompii could be removed. Just my .2 cents.

That's a real shame to hear, I hope they keep it forever. I'd have to see them remove one of the best rides in the park

... again

I love it when parks tease so early on. Makes me believe it will be something big. Weird how they barely marketed tempesto but now they seem to want to market this ride from the very beginning ....hmmm....

I too hope it is a RMC creation, because if it is then maybe Sea Parks could consider a gwazi makeover if this ride is successful. I can also see something similar to cobras curse. If history taught us anything is that the Busch parks follow a similar trend despite some exceptions.

Other than those 2 options (a woodie or a spinner) I really don't know what else the park is going to build. It could be a non coaster ride afterall... who knows. Whatever it is can't wait to see it being developed.

Since someone brought up the height waver, a cobras-curse type ride would actually be under the height restriction. Also, it would be fairly quiet compared to other coasters, so I don't think a similar ride on the DF site is out of the question. As an enthusiast, this wouldn't be my first choice of a ride. But, considering they have Verbollten for the family niche, LNM for the classic looper niche, Alpengeist/AC/Griffon/Tempesto for the high thrill niche, I think a ride like cobras-curse would probably be a better rounding out of their collection than an RMC.

That said, as an enthusiast, I'd love an RMC more than anything.

I could see how this might be an RMC. Nobody has built one in that region of the country yet. They know it's only a matter of time before Six Flags America gets one. Why not be the first to build in that area? If it uses the terrain and is themed well, it could be a home run for the park. Personally I hope it's RMC...The more the merrier. And maybe, just maybe, BGT might just decide to RMC Gwazi if BGW does in fact build a RMC. One can hope.

I hope this isn't the case, but what if BGW is going to remove Lochness Monster and replace it with a new coaster in 2017. They are announcing it early to give everyone a chance to ride one last time before it closes forever on Labor Day 2016. It is an Arrow coaster, which are hard to maintain (at least that's what they said when they announced the removal of BBW in 2009), and it is almost 40 years old.

While it would be nice if BGW got a RMC or similar woodie, IMHO it won't go in to DF's old spot. When I asked Carl Lum about a woodie going into that spot at an ACE event a few years ago, he said BGW would never get a woodie because of the noise they generate and an agreement with a local community association (Kingsmill). Maybe that agreement expired. Or maybe they are going to open a new country (Spain?). It will be fun to speculate until the announcement is made!

I hope this isn't the case, but what if BGW is going to remove Lochness Monster and replace it with a new coaster in 2017. They are announcing it early to give everyone a chance to ride one last time before it closes forever on Labor Day 2016. It is an Arrow coaster, which are hard to maintain (at least that's what they said when they announced the removal of BBW in 2009), and it is almost 40 years old.

While it would be nice if BGW got a RMC or similar woodie, IMHO it won't go in to DF's old spot. When I asked Carl Lum about a woodie going into that spot at an ACE event a few years ago, he said BGW would never get a woodie because of the noise they generate and an agreement with a local community association (Kingsmill). Maybe that agreement expired. Or maybe they are going to open a new country (Spain?). It will be fun to speculate until the announcement is made!

Zero percent chance that happens. Pompeii or Europe in the Air are the two candidates for removal.

Loch Ness Monster is in VERY good shape right now because of how Busch Gardens handles it.

Edited by madmax

Losing Loch Ness Monster would be much sadder than losing BBW, as Nessie was always more of an "icon" for the park (thanks to those interlocking loops). That being said, the park said when BBW was removed that the Loch Ness Monster wasn't going anywhere, and they take great pride in how they've maintained that coaster over the years.

Time will tell. I certainly wouldn't object to an amazing new Loch Ness Monster--especially if it's an RMC coaster.

The maintanence cost of nessie is pretty low all things considered, and the capacity on it is still very good. As chuck said, the park has stated it's going no where anytime soon. They also said they can't think of a better use of the land than LNM currently using it, and since a lot of the woods around it are one of their "protected zones," putting something in its place would be hard. I wouldn't mind seeing it shutdown for a year and receiving upgrades and overhauls to modernize a few problematic things to reduce setups and minimize downtime, but even that isn't necessary. For example, if they installed a variable lift motor on lift 1 like what some KI coasters have with smart software (like on Banshee, where the lift slows down if it detects a setup, then speeds up when the next block is clear) they could bring capacity up and return the lift 1 speed to the old "double looper" standards, but minimize setups with a smart lift that slows the speed if the train in front hasn't cleared C block yet. They could also re-track the MCBR so that it's at a grade instead of level, which would let ops reset block brake setups very quickly compared to now.

The track and trains themselves are in amazing condition as is. If for some reason it ever gets pulled, it's replacement would likely be similar to it (like how with verbolten they made sure to have a family coaster with a 42" height requirement similar to BBW).

I have a strong feeling that Nessie will recieve a lot of work for the 2018 season to celebrate its 40th anniversary, possibly even adding some special effects in the tunnel. I would be shocked if it was removed as its still in great condition and is a park icon. BBW and other Arrow suspended coasters are extremely difficult to maintain as the swinging puts a lot of strain on the track and trains, but the sit down loopers seem to hold up better. The 2017 attraction is probably a thrilling coaster and/or a new land as they're hyping it up this far in advance. A family coaster probably wouldn't be hyped up over a year in advance so I'm really leaning towards a new land as that's a major expansion.

I've been hoping for a Spain for years, not too sure if they would be willing to put a coaster in DF's old spot though so it may be somewhere else. I also think Europe In The Air is unfortunately safe for now (or at least irrelevant to the new attraction).