TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

Please no more RMC, until they can come up with something new. Every coaster is basically the same
come up with something new

I hope this is a joke.

Not at all, and its just IMO, while the ride layouts are different, its all the same elements. Never said they where bad rides, in fact out law run is a stunning coaster

Never been on one myself, so I'm probably not the best person to talk here, but I would agree that all of their coasters look, at the very least, pretty similar to each other. But that's pretty much equivalent to saying that all of the early B&M inverted coasters (Batman, Top Gun, Nemesis) are similar / "equal" as well.

Most of the Rocky Mountain coasters do share very similar characteristics - incredibly steep drops, heavily-banked turns, variations on the zero-G roll (heartline roll, regular zero-G roll, zero-G stall, top gun stall), layouts that feel more like a fun drawing than a logically-laid-out design (not necessarily a bad thing), experimentation with outward-banked turns, and other things. But it's a formula that works, apparently, so they're having well-earned success with it.

If Busch Gardens Williamsburg were to get an installation, I'd want it to be a little less extravagant - a little more humble, like Storm Chaser. Maybe they could do a design that has the "Rocky Mountain brand secret sauce" that we love but is a little more accessible and less intimidating to younger riders. I think it's also time for another coaster or attraction at Busch Gardens that doesn't break the treeline.

Agreed, but my original thought was not a standard rmc, but rather an all steel rmc, perhaps on the monorail design they teased. That monorail track would allow all the crazy stuff they already do, sprinkled into more traditional loops and corkscrew style inversions. The heartiness of the track allows minimal supports, so you could see a very free, very open, very twisted coaster concept that could fit in a tighter plot than many modern monsters like beemers.

A while back I made a coaster in no limits on a simulated version of the Drachen Fire site to see how much coaster you could fit back there. Using the old station and train barn dimmensions, I was able to squeeze in a single lift 16 inversion coaster with 4 trains and duel loading that stayed within the footprint and layout of Drachen fire, and didn't step on verbolten. If RMC was allowed to put a monorail coaster back there, I bet we'd all be blown away with the design.

But of course, we don't know it's a coaster, we don't know who is commissioned even if it is a coaster, and we don't have any clues where this mystery ride is even going. That said, I'm glad for the early teaser. It got people talking and pumped about BGW in the midst of an already exciting build year for other parks.

Please no more RMC, until they can come up with something new. Every coaster is basically the same

I understand where Ross is coming from in terms of them feeling very similar, I mean, I really felt that Medusa and Wicked Cyclone felt, really, really, REALLY close other than some obvious track layout differences, the feeling was similar. That being said, I still feel that RMC's coasters are far and above better than just about anything else coming out these days. I guess you can say that a lot of the Intamin non-looping coasters all "feel" similar too - Millennium Force, Superman Trio, Mega-Lite's, SkyRush, etc, but I wouldn't be upset if a park, no wait, EVERY park built one of those!

IMO, having "too many RMC's" is the epitome of "first world problems."

Wow, this kinda came from left field. Maybe trying to make up from Tempesto?

Am I the only one who possibly heard the '17-story' part in the video? It sounded like that to me; I'm not positive.

I think the 17 in the video was referencing 2017, the year.

I am thinking this will most likely be either a wood coaster (RMC, GCI, Intamin?) or a Mack Spinner, similar to Cobra's Curse. I'll tell you why.

What doesn't BGW already have at this point? They have 7 steel coasters, so I think a woodie is possible. I'd really like it if they used terrain if it was. A woodie would also have to be quiet, which leads me to believe it would be of the modern variety (RMC, Intamin). But the park has a lot of intense thrilling coasters, so maybe a family friendly RMC?

I think if we are seeing a steel coaster, it will be more geared towards families, like Cobra's Curse is. This park already has 3 huge B&M's, all of which are taller than 195', and they're all pretty intense. I don't think the park would add another huge B&M mega-looper to their already thrilling coaster line up. I also don't think we're seeing any type of launching coaster considering the past 2 coasters have launched.

Great photos, thanks for sharing them. I'm still bummed that I never got to ride Drachen Fire. For those that did get to ride it, was it really that rough? It looks like it had some really cool elements and it must've had some great airtime on that camel back hill.

I was fortunate to ride it shortly after it opened. At the time it was my 2nd favorite steel behind Steel Phantom. I really enjoyed the ride and didn't think it was that rough. Then again, I had ridden so many Arrow loopers I was probably used to it.

As for the current teaser, can't wait to see what is planned. Would love to see something that is a spin off of Drachenfire.

^ I think shockwave and GASM were rougher than DF personally, and none of those were as bad as flight of fear with the OTSRs, but the BGW target audience typically isn't into any of the above. I'll always be bitter it's gone, but I don't have any question as to why is gone.

Also, if it Ireland gets a wooden coaster, I'd like to suggest "Potato Famine: The Ride" for the name.

Please be an RMC terrain woodie, that would just be the cherry on top of BGW's already solid coaster line-up. And if BGW does indeed work with RMC for 2017, can't help but think that bodes well for BGT's next coaster being something RMC too

Now, where oh where would they find a space, or maybe a thing, per say, to hand over to RMC at BGT? Hmmm....

SeaWorld seems to have been doing some very peculiar things with release dates. Tempesto was basically never released and treated like the big Elephant in the room that went up while Busch Gardens denied they were even building a roller coaster. While not announcing your ride over the off season seems like it makes no sense at least a park can say they wanted to maximize the impact and start an ad campaign that with a short turn around time. A year later Sea World Orlando announce Mako for 2015 before the peak summer season even started which some say is too early.

I feel like the SeaWorld parks are in a step above Six Flags and Cedar Fair and a step below Disney and Universal. The two big dogs make announcements when they want for projects 2-5 years out. Maybe SeaWorld views themselves more like a Disney or Universal and thinks their numbers are teflon tough. I feel like Sea World needs needs to tease this out more. I was going to go BGW b/c hey have Tempsesto and I hear it more fun than it looks. Maybe I'll wait til 2017. I know something big is coming.

I think the hammer was on the table to indicate construction... nothing more. A hammer is probably the most basic tool in existence, and it's something that everybody recognizes and associates with building something new. I doubt it was a "hint" of a specific type of ride.

I am predicting an RMC woodie in Drachen Fire's spot named "Thor".

while i do think RMC will be involved...i think Marvel would have something to say about that name

They can't. They don't have the copyright to the name "Thor" because it's originally Germanic mythology.

has BGW gotten approval to build above 60 feet yet? They have to have county approval for that, and plans for all prior coasters (back to Alpengeist at least) had been submitted by this time of year or earlier. (seems like Verbolten was grandfathered since its height and location were the same as BBW)

has BGW gotten approval to build above 60 feet yet? They have to have county approval for that, and plans for all prior coasters (back to Alpengeist at least) had been submitted by this time of year or earlier. (seems like Verbolten was grandfathered since its height and location were the same as BBW)

Good point. The board has usually already voted by this point. By the way, when people say that x y or z won't happen because of the Kings Mill people, here's an article from Alpengeists approval that quotes some of "those people."

http://articles.dailypress.com/1996-01-26/news/9601260187_1_busch-gardens-roller-coaster-drachen-fire

Once again, I will never understand the mentality of someone who moves in next to an amusement park, then complains about the noise...

I guess in that case couldn't they grandfather the Drachenfire approval? If they reuse the station and keep it under the same height then I suppose it's possible.

I would think it's pretty unlikely you could reuse a height waiver on something that's been vacant for 14 years... especially considering Drachen Fire's proximity to kingsmill was really the first thing that started all the noise issues to begin with, right?

More likely in the case of verbolten they got approval before closing BBW, but that's specualation