TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

Chuck, Am I reading that right, they opened the line for what an hour around dinner time and then closed it for no reason?

Correct, I was in the right place at the right time and just barely made the cutoff. We were one of the last rides before they cut the line off. I left at 5:30, so I am not entirely sure if it remained closed for the rest of this evening.

I was in the right time at the right place. We were walking near Da Vinci's garden when we heard a yell "Pesto's open!!!". We then proceeded to sprint to the ride. They trickled groups of about 30 or so into the queue where they were held and then trickled those people into the station. When I got on, most rows were empty because we just barely made the cut off. There were only lines for the front row and back row after we got off. I then asked an operator if we could ride again because their were about 10 open seats, he said yes, and then a 2nd op shot him down. While I'm glad I got to ride it, I don't understand why we weren't allowed to board a train which then launched out of the station mostly unoccupied. Oh well, great ride!

EDIT! Still processing but it will be finished shortly!

Edited by robbalvey

Chuck, Am I reading that right, they opened the line for what an hour around dinner time and then closed it for no reason?

Correct, I was in the right place at the right time and just barely made the cutoff. We were one of the last rides before they cut the line off. I left at 5:30, so I am not entirely sure if it remained closed for the rest of this evening.

I think this is what they did on Friday, too. That's the nature of soft openings.

What a shitty thing to do, If you are gonna open the ride then OPEN it!

But this is what a soft opening is all about. It's an unannounced test and adjust period so they can see how traffic patterns work and get an idea of how the ride reacts to real guests and vice versa. They open the ride for a couple of hours, see how things go, collect data, react to it if they need to, etc, etc...

I think it's incredibly smart when parks do this so they don't wind up having a media day or opening day with even more surprises. Maybe we're just more used to this process here in Orlando because we see it happen all the time?

Edited by robbalvey

^I understand that Verbolten "soft opened" before it's "official" opening, too--but up until then, soft openings were a bit unusual for BGW. I agree that it's a good way for ride staff to get used to "normal" operations (like a "dress rehearsal").

I was in the right time at the right place. We were walking near Da Vinci's garden when we heard a yell "Pesto's open!!!". We then proceeded to sprint to the ride. They trickled groups of about 30 or so into the queue where they were held and then trickled those people into the station. When I got on, most rows were empty because we just barely made the cut off. There were only lines for the front row and back row after we got off. I then asked an operator if we could ride again because their were about 10 open seats, he said yes, and then a 2nd op shot him down. While I'm glad I got to ride it, I don't understand why we weren't allowed to board a train which then launched out of the station mostly unoccupied. Oh well, great ride!

EDIT! Still processing but it will be finished shortly!

Great vid! Looks intense and smooth

Got a text from Shawn saying that they've soft opened Tempesto again. As usual, I'm in the wrong place (actually had to go to the office to do some work this weekend).

Go on during a soft opening today in the pouring rain. This ride is a lot of fun--particularly the backward launch and the pop of air you get when you go over the top.

^ Busch runs their rides in the rain all day long. It's if there's lightning in the area that they close things down, and even then, it needs to be pretty close. If there's lightning near by but no rain, it'll still close things down. Rain but no lightning? Enjoy getting wet cause they're open! I can think of one time in my years working there that we shut coasters down when there was no lightening, and that's only because we had insanely absurd winds coming in that set off the wind alarm (meaning faster than 40mph gusts).

^ When I went two years ago, they closed all the coasters because there was a cloud so yeah, I would say they are.

Yes, you must be thinking of Kings Dominion and other Cedar Fair parks. The old Wilde Maus would close in the rain, but unless there was lightning in the area (or it was a hurricane-style deluge), BGW will continue operations in the rain.

And, by the way, the "comfort" straps aren't a problem; they do not interfere with one's enjoyment of Tempesto.

Edited by cfc