TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Let's be honest with ourselves here - how many typical Busch Gardens Williamsburg guests do you think actually know that Superman Ultimate Flight exists over in California? Have a number? Awesome! Divide that number by 74,632 and you'll get how many typical guests know that Sky Scream exists.

Busch Gardens has the right to invest their money in anything they want, and in this case it's an [apparently] really fun launched coaster in a seemingly-neglected area of the park that will absolutely be a hit with their guests.

Let's be honest with ourselves here - how many typical Busch Gardens Williamsburg guests do you think actually know that Superman Ultimate Flight exists over in California? Have a number? Awesome! Divide that number by 74,632 and you'll get how many typical guests know that Sky Scream exists.

Busch Gardens has the right to invest their money in anything they want, and in this case it's an [apparently] really fun launched coaster in a seemingly-neglected area of the park that will absolutely be a hit with their guests.

I can count on one hand the number of locals in Williamsburg who know this--one.

Just be glad they are building a new coaster. The whole company is suffering right now and this was probably all they could fit in their budget.

Just because it is a clone does not mean it is by default a horrible ride (unless it is an SLC).

A Premier Launcher can never be a bad thing.

That said-

...The whole company is suffering right now...

This addition does kind of give that vibe off.

There is no park I'd rather be at than one of either Busch Tampa or Williamsburg. I hope this ends up working well for BGW.

What irks me more than it being off-the-shelf model with awful awful capacity is the fact that they just built a multi-launching coaster 3 years ago. They could've used any other type of coaster instead. For the first time in a long time, BGW has received a high thrill attraction, but it seems wasted with this ride. It's simply an all encompassing disappointment of a new ride. Sure it's a fine coaster (at least superman is), but it is exactly not what BGW needs at all.

Tempests will not be comparable to Verbolten in any way. Verbolten is, for all intents and purposes, a family coaster. That doesn't mean it isn't thrilling or a great launched coaster, but it is nothing like Tempesto.

I don't have any issue with this being a clone. The capacity might be iffy, but with the extra car and a promise for fast dispatches, after some of the hype dies off I don't see it being an issue. The park said themselves this is not a major investment, so I don't think the argument of "this feels cheap" is valid.

Personally I think it is a good choice for BGW's coaster lineup. It's not meant to be their star attraction at all, so why critique it as if it were?

Tempests will not be comparable to Verbolten in any way. Verbolten is, for all intents and purposes, a family coaster. That doesn't mean it isn't thrilling or a great launched coaster, but it is nothing like Tempesto.

I don't have any issue with this being a clone. The capacity might be iffy, but with the extra car and a promise for fast dispatches, after some of the hype dies off I don't see it being an issue. The park said themselves this is not a major investment, so I don't think the argument of "this feels cheap" is valid.

Personally I think it is a good choice for BGW's coaster lineup. It's not meant to be their star attraction at all, so why critique it as if it were?

I really enjoyed Verbolten but it could have used some airtime. Outside of that, I enjoyed it.

It's grown on me, and it's a solid ride for what it is...my problem is just that I expect Busch Gardens Williamsburg to do so much better. This is the park that put in the Spider-Man Ride system, that somehow came up with a suitable high-themed replacement for Big Bad Wolf, that one-upped Sheikra in Tampa, that has one of the best chute the chute rides out there, several other amazing-looking and riding B&M's.

It's gonna be a minorly-themed clone. Six Flags could have done this and has, any park could have done this. I expect more from the Busch Gardens brand. If this was the same ride type but with double the ride length, a dual-loading station, a proper announcement, a well-developed story, and didn't look so gangly and clashing next to Apollo (just some of what people have thrown out) I would be more excited. It is what it is, and at least it IS something cool as the company is having attendance, revenue, and PR issues.

It especially looks a little down while seemingly every other park is putting in their "Yep the economy has recovered and here's our best effort" level of attraction this year.

What irks me is the numerous complaints about the ride in general. I worked for this park many, many years and always supported what they did. Am I biased? Sure! I loved working for the park (especially under the old A-B regime), but times change.

First, people are going to complain the park is due for this coaster or that coaster..etc....and now the the park has made the investment for another coaster (especially after Verbolten).

Second, the park has plans in place to reduce wait times and the lines (not talking about Quick-Que-which will not be active for this coaster). Give it time...it does have a low capacity, but it also is a new ride and people want to experience it.

I'm more than satisfied with the result and the locals and tourists alike will eat this thing up. Remember, the entire park chain is going through an 'identity' and financial crisis and it shows the commitment in making this type of investment. Did you want a flat ride instead for the 40th Anniversary?

I'm happy for the park to get this coaster....no matter what color it is and where it is placed. It will blend it rather nice when the trees are in full bloom again and compliment the colors with its sister right next to it. The story fits the theme and the area it is located. For those who have NOT ridden any of the sister coasters....CHILL OUT and give it a chance when you ride it, then form your opinion.

Everyone is in the right to have an opinion, but until you wait until the ride is actually OPEN and ride it...then give us your opinion.

Also, Larry Giles (Engineering Dir.) has told me that this will be the most intense coaster in the parks line up. It will be exiting to see how the 3-cars act with the layout versus 2-cars.

I'm not saying this is for sure going to be a good ride, and I didn't like it at first either, but:

1) The VERY few people in this thread that have seen it in person from in the park seem to think it fits well in festa.

2) No one has ridden it yet. We have no idea how the third car will change forces, and I have yet to meet anyone who thinks the other clones are tame and boring.

I too like BGW theming when they do it, but if you're trying to tell me AC has good themeing, you're smoking rocks. They painted an old midride queue house and put an ugly throne in front of it. So far, with construction not even done yet, Tempesto has more visible theming.

Hell there's no real theming for griffon either, though at least the station is nicer than AC. Doesn't mean either are a bad ride.

Edited by DrachenfireOP

Also, Larry Giles (Engineering Dir.) has told me that this will be the most intense coaster in the parks line up. It will be exiting to see how the 3-cars act with the layout versus 2-cars.

He said this at Passholder Preview Day, too. I rather like Premier coasters, so I'm looking forward to Tempesto.

He said this at Passholder Preview Day, too. I rather like Premier coasters, so I'm looking forward to Tempesto.

Superman @ SFDK is a hell of a lot of fun so Tempesto is sure to deliver.

And the more I hear statements like this, the more I anticipate for this ride. BGW says this will be their most intense coaster so I'm not going to complain. I may not make it to the park this summer but hopefully I'll get the chance for HOS.

And the more I hear statements like this, the more I anticipate for this ride. BGW says this will be their most intense coaster so I'm not going to complain. I may not make it to the park this summer but hopefully I'll get the chance for HOS.

I can believe it. Superman is pretty intense in the back seat and that's only row 6, you guys will have 9 rows to choose from and I'm betting row 9 is gonna be where it's at.

The only bummer is the OTSRs, but they seem unassuming enough from the photos.

I can get where the complaints are coming from, but honestly, if you had to get a clone, this is the clone to get! I think you guys will appreciate it a lot more once it opens.

I'm not saying this is for sure going to be a good ride, and I didn't like it at first either, but:

1) The VERY few people in this thread that have seen it in person from in the park seem to think it fits well in festa.

2) No one has ridden it yet. We have no idea how the third car will change forces, and I have yet to meet anyone who thinks the other clones are tame and boring.

I too like BGW theming when they do it, but if you're trying to tell me AC has good themeing, you're smoking rocks. They painted an old midride queue house and put an ugly throne in front of it. So far, with construction not even done yet, Tempesto has more visible theming.

Hell there's no real theming for griffon either, though at least the station is nicer than AC. Doesn't mean either are a bad ride.

I am referring to the theme of Tempesto, not A/C.

I can believe it. Superman is pretty intense in the back seat and that's only row 6, you guys will have 9 rows to choose from and I'm betting row 9 is gonna be where it's at.

I can get where the complaints are coming from, but honestly, if you had to get a clone, this is the clone to get! I think you guys will appreciate it a lot more once it opens.

Agreed. Also, B:TRs are clones and they are 2nd in my top 3 B&Ms with #1 going to S:KC @ SFFT.

Agreed. Also, B:TRs are clones and they are 2nd in my top 3 B&Ms with #1 going to S:KC @ SFFT.

True but those wouldn't make sense for BGW because of Alpengeist.

To clarify, I don't think Tempesto is a bad addition. For all those complaining that it is a clone, it is one of three in the world, with the other two located in California and Germany, so it's not like every park in the chain has gotten it before and you can find it at any remotely nearby parks. Premier rides are always thrilling (The Chiller at SFGA was one of my favorite coasters of all time despite rarely operating), so I really look forward to riding this. My only complaint was the color scheme in relation to Apollo's Chariot being in the background, but once I'm on the ride itself none of that will matter. Also for those upset that Busch got another launch coaster, this launch will probably be much more intense than Verbolten, not to mention there is no such thing as too many launches. To me that's like saying "Why are they adding another roller coaster with a drop? They already have one like that". To sum it up, my only complaint with Tempesto is not even the ride itself, it's the existence of Apollo's Chariot