TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

Obviously they're the professionals but if you're building a new ride wouldn't you... I don't know? Tell people about it that way it actually brings people into your park.

Carowinds has already had at least 2 media events for their ride, they're filming a TV show and they're doing whatever they can to make sure everyone knows that they have a huge new coaster and everyone should come visit the park, spend money, buy season passes and ride the ride. They promoted it like crazy before the holidays to get people to buy Season Passes as gifts, they're promoting it now since construction is well underway... BGW is doing absolutely nothing.

I don't get the logic in building a huge new coaster and not telling people you have it. If nobody knows it's there, how will it increase revenue at the rate they probably hope to increase it given their current situation.

They're the experts but this is really confusing.

Exactly.

You don't need to be an expert to know more advertising=larger crowds (most of the time).

It's sad to watch the Busch/Seaworld chain struggle right now but it's decisions like this that make it a little less surprising.

Obviously they're the professionals but if you're building a new ride wouldn't you... I don't know? Tell people about it that way it actually brings people into your park.

Carowinds has already had at least 2 media events for their ride, they're filming a TV show and they're doing whatever they can to make sure everyone knows that they have a huge new coaster and everyone should come visit the park, spend money, buy season passes and ride the ride. They promoted it like crazy before the holidays to get people to buy Season Passes as gifts, they're promoting it now since construction is well underway... BGW is doing absolutely nothing.

I don't get the logic in building a huge new coaster and not telling people you have it. If nobody knows it's there, how will it increase revenue at the rate they probably hope to increase it given their current situation.

They're the experts but this is really confusing.

Spot on. Carowinds is advertising like crazy over Fury 325 since they are trying to bring in more people by the end of the expansion. Why is BGW not saying anything? I guarantee you BGW will sell more season passes if they already announce Tempesto. Theme park enthusiasts only account for 5% of the park's attendance, and the GP knows nothing about this ride but the structure.

I work in marketing, but it doesn't even take a 1st grader to figure this out. Busch/SeaWorld will gain something (money?) if they announce Tempesto earlier.

I agree with most people here, I can only see this lack of announcement as a negative thing. This is the time of year when families start planning trips for the summer and judging by the BGW website, they would have no idea that BGW is opening something new this year. I am not a person who likes marketing by any means, but there's a reason why you should use it, it will bring people to your park! I LOVE this park, but they sure have made some odd decisions in the past few years...

Holiday World announced their coaster last JULY! I'm sure everybody around the park is well aware of Thunderbird by now.

I agree with most people here, I can only see this lack of announcement as a negative thing. This is the time of year when families start planning trips for the summer and judging by the BGW website, they would have no idea that BGW is opening something new this year. I am not a person who likes marketing by any means, but there's a reason why you should use it, it will bring people to your park! I LOVE this park, but they sure have made some odd decisions in the past few years...

Holiday World announced their coaster last JULY! I'm sure everybody around the park is well aware of Thunderbird by now.

Holiday World had a MASSIVE pr event to announce Thunderbird. It was significant enough that I actually found it appear outside of the regular channels you would expect for a theme park like Holiday World.

Who knows whats going on with this but perhaps they see it as a cheap investment?

Kentucky Kingdom just reopened with several of their old rides as well as new ones, including a new coaster, this year they are opening their SLC, and next year Twisted Twins. It doesn't seem like a Premier Clone would be on their investment radar.

You never would of guessed it would be on bgw's radar as well. But its being built. But kk is opening alot of new stuff this year and more stuff coming so i assure you there not getting a premier clone like zach said

^Are you talking about the article in the Virginia Gazette? There's already a post with a link to that one.

According to an interview with BGW president Carl Lum in the Virginia Gazette, there will be an announcement concerning the new ride in March.

I'm trying to plan a trip around the first weekend in April. I really wish they'd announce an opening date, though it sounds like it won't be open by then if they aren't even announcing it until March. Maybe it will be like an Apple announcement: "Hey, we have a new ride, and it's open today!"

I'd imagine this coaster probably won't be on the park's Quick Queue system because it's already a low capacity ride, and if Quick Queue users kept on coming to this ride, that would make the regular wait time unbearably long. Even if it has the rumored three-car trains, the situation wouldn't be much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I know BG is in the middle of alot of changes but Im surprised we still havent heard any announcement on pass member day. We are a little over a month from pass member day unless its been announced and I just missed it. They usually have this announced already. They have the opening day already posted.

I know BG is in the middle of alot of changes but Im surprised we still havent heard any announcement on pass member day. We are a little over a month from pass member day unless its been announced and I just missed it. They usually have this announced already. They have the opening day already posted.

It's March 21. Opening day is March 27.