TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I've never been to this park, so please forgive me if the answer to my question is obvious.

A coaster enthusiast friend and I were talking (he's never been to the park either) and he said how great it would be to have a terrain woodie at BGW. Is there room for one and isn't there a rule that limits or prohibits trees being removed there(hence Verbolten following BBW route so much)?

Thanks..

^It may be more of a noise issue than a space or tree issue. BGW has to deal with Kingsmill, which is a rather expensive neighborhood not far from the park. Woodies make more noise than steel coasters, as a rule.

I don't rule out the possibility of the park getting a woodie someday, though.

I completely agree with everyone about this being a really really strange choice for the park to add, but if it makes anyone feel any better.. Superman at SFDK is a -really- fun ride.

Agreed on all counts. I can't complain about the ride itself, because it's actually fantastic, but it's just interesting that Busch would choose to install it.

Probably gonna try to go to the part on Oct 4. Looking for more info on Quick Queue, it's a little pricey, but as a coaster dork the more rides I can get without waiting the better . How does the system work at BGW? How long do lines usually get during HOS?

Thanks!

On a Saturday during HOS, Quick Queue is a necessity. I don't want to comment on how it works because it may have changed since I was last there two years ago.

There isn't as much need for it during the day but during Howl-O-Scream queues are a nightmare (Zing!).

The Quick Queue entrances aren't always next to the maze's main entrance - Bitten and Cut Throat Cove had their two entrances close and Deadline's is a split off from the main queue, but the Quick Queue entrance for 13: Your Number's Up is actually next to the exit. It's very weird. I don't remember where Root of All Evil's was.

There isn't as much need for it during the day but during Howl-O-Scream queues are a nightmare (Zing!).

The Quick Queue entrances aren't always next to the maze's main entrance - Bitten and Cut Throat Cove had their two entrances close and Deadline's is a split off from the main queue, but the Quick Queue entrance for 13: Your Number's Up is actually next to the exit. It's very weird. I don't remember where Root of All Evil's was.

Well... I have been convinced, guess I'll have to get quick queue.

Edited by Keetz

^It may be more of a noise issue than a space or tree issue. BGW has to deal with Kingsmill, which is a rather expensive neighborhood not far from the park. Woodies make more noise than steel coasters, as a rule.

I don't rule out the possibility of the park getting a woodie someday, though.

Nail on the head! Because of the terrain at BGW, the sound carries really well. It's not during the day that noise is the issue, but BGW starts cycling its coasters very early in the morning (sometimes as early as 4-5am) as part of their maintenance inspections. It would be an issue for anyone in the neighboring homes which are actually fairly close to the park, but add to the fact that it's a wealthy community with lots of political influence, and that Busch does everything in their power to be a good neighbor, and I'm afraid a good woody starts to be a lot less likely. It's a shame though, a low-to-the-ground that dips out over the rhine river wooden coaster would be a GREAT addition to the park. I'm still an optimist for one! A lot of the things that were previously ruled out by the community, like a drop tower, have found their way into the park in recent years, so who knows!

Any opinions on best order to hit the major attractions in the morning?

I was thinking quick jolt to get 1-2 laps on AC, then Verbolten, Griffon, then Alpengeist?

Thanks

The park opens in stages so if you are there before/at opening, you can ride Loch Ness Monster before anything else opens, Griffin at 10 a few times, Alpengeist a few times, Verbolten at 10:45 and you've missed Apollo's Chariot opening but there still won't be any line.

Any opinions on best order to hit the major attractions in the morning?

I was thinking quick jolt to get 1-2 laps on AC, then Verbolten, Griffon, then Alpengeist?

Thanks

You might as well do Alpie before Griffon, if you're going in that order. What I would do is at rope drop go to LNM, then if it's open sky ride to griffon, then work around the park from there. Verbolten's line may look long, but it moves quickly. If you ride griffon later in the day, there will be a line. Any flats/ Mach tower lines should be manageable, if you're going during the day.

I always hit up Loch Ness Monster first before it builds up a line and then head to Griffon once they open up France. After that, I head over to Oktoberfest and ride Verbolten. I usually don't worry about Alpengeist until later because it usually doesn't build up much of a line. Of course, I've never been during the haunt, so I could be wrong.

To my knowledge they only publish the 10 AM opening. During summer the gates open at 9 and Nessie at 9:30 I believe. My map from last 2 weeks ago (man do I need to clean off my desk) says England and Nessie opened at 9:45 for Sundays in September. I'd guess that is the case for October in general, but not completely certain.

You need to take a tram to get to the main gate from general parking, so if you really need to be there at opening remember that, but there's really no need to rush, enjoy the park and have fun.

Oh, and it's been awhile since I've posted "Eat a pretzel from the German pretzel shop" so make sure you do that too.

And at least one of your meals needs to be a Trappers Smoke House, it's over by Griffon! All of the parks food is very good and worth having (unlike many parks), but if you only eat one meal there, make sure it's at Trappers! Every country has different food, including some replications of food from the country in question, though mostly American or Americanized food. Since people don't always talk about the food, here's some options (though I haven't been this season, so hopefully this info is still accurate):

England has Burgers/fries/pizza etc, and sometimes a few other things like fajitas. They also have a candy shop and generic concessions stands.

Scotland has a little restaurant with a few sandwhich options but mostly fried foods like chicken fingers and corn dogs.

Ireland has some REALLY good food that people often overlook, including very nice soups served in a bread bowl.

Italy has classic american-Italian food like spaghetti, ziti, lasagna, etc.

France has this nifty Bistro, but it's a bit more expensive than the other dining.

New France has Montreal style smoked meats, like beef ribs, brisket, and chicken, but unlike Montreal, they include BBQ sauce! This is my personal favorite

Germany has Das Festhaus, which unfortunately doesn't have some of the great German cuisine it used to anymore, but still has great options, and also American options like pizza.

There's also carts out and about with giant pretzels, turkey legs, etc, and also several places to get icecream/funnel cake. Oh, and beer is EVERYWHERE!

Like most parks, the food is a bit pricey, but unlike most parks, it's high quality and delicious!

The Smokehouse is a bit inconsistent. If you get there at the right time, when food has just been brought out, it's pretty good. This is true of the Italian restaurant, too (I like their cannelloni).

• 3 weeks later...

^ My honest guess? Simply because they can. They announced Griffon around August, because it was VERY obvious at that point what was happening, as the construction schedule had track coming in. There was no way to hide that track coming into the park from the train/Alpengeist short of closing those attractions. The same was true for Verbolten thanks to Mach Tower, so they announced it in September. However, this ride is going to go up so fast, they don't need to start moving track in to the site yet. It looks like they've only just started pouring footers, which are going to need to sit for a LONG time before track comes in. The park frequently puts up a construction wall and says nothing about it. They have a long history of not doing a press release until it's very obvious, so if they can keep track out of the view of the GP, they probably will stay tight lipped about everything.

To the coaster nerd community, this seems obvious that it's a premier launch coaster, but to the GP? It's just a construction fence that could be anything, and without following coaster forums, I'm not sure my first guess when looking at that fence would be roller coaster, since the footprint is so small, and it's sitting literally right next to AC.

Also, I'm wondering if BGW fans got the name right with their leak, and BGW is re-branding the ride just to spite them for leaking since they are exclusively calling it Tempesto on the BGWfans site with full confidence.

The Smokehouse is a bit inconsistent. If you get there at the right time, when food has just been brought out, it's pretty good. This is true of the Italian restaurant, too (I like their cannelloni).

I agree with this statement. The inconsistency at the Italian place seems to occurs when the food sits a little longer. It's a paradox as that makes it best to hit the place when it is most crowded.