TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I'm visiting BGW for my first time on Monday, July 28. I plan on getting the Quick Queue Unlimited to make the most of my time. Even in moderate crowds, it would still be worth it to me to be able to ride myself into a coma (unless, of course, the park is absolutely dead, but somehow I doubt that will happen). I was just wondering how the Quick Queue works. Are there designated rows for QQ riders, are you seated on the first available seat, do you get to choose where you sit, or is it a station merge? Also, a food question. I love ribs, and see that there is a smokehouse in the park. For those of you who have eaten both, which do you think serves up a better rack of ribs: BGW or Pierce's Pitt BBQ? Thanks for your input.

I'm visiting BGW for my first time on Monday, July 28. I plan on getting the Quick Queue Unlimited to make the most of my time. Even in moderate crowds, it would still be worth it to me to be able to ride myself into a coma (unless, of course, the park is absolutely dead, but somehow I doubt that will happen). I was just wondering how the Quick Queue works. Are there designated rows for QQ riders, are you seated on the first available seat, do you get to choose where you sit, or is it a station merge? Also, a food question. I love ribs, and see that there is a smokehouse in the park. For those of you who have eaten both, which do you think serves up a better rack of ribs: BGW or Pierce's Pitt BBQ? Thanks for your input.

Quick Queue merges with the station for all coasters except Apollo's Chariot, where you ride in Row 2 (or possibly Row 8 if it's a very busy day and they need two rows!). For Escape From Pompeii you will be in Row 2 (which is where you want to be anyway).

I can't attest to Pierce's Ribs, but the Smokehouse has some darn tasty and not too expensive spareribs.

Speaking of food, get a pretzel in Germany.

The views were nice though! Perfect spot to observe the construction going on back by the drachen fire station. (I'm calling new train station btw)

Hey guys, I'm afraid unless something very drastic has changed in the past few years, or is planned to change, there won't be a train station going there.

The reason this couldn't happen is that there is actually a fairly steep uphill grade on the train tracks from the trestle all the way to Caribou station. In fact, if the train needs to stop for any reason in that spot, in most cases they will actually need to back the train up and get a running start as the grade is too steep for them to gain momentum. Unless this is/has changed (upgrades to the engines themselves, reworking the track to follow a different route etc.) I'm afraid a train station there is impossible

I would love to see a new country go back in that area starting with the Drachen Fire site and heading out east, but two things to keep in mind which would prevent this are that the people who live in those houses just south of the park HATE when Busch Gardens expands (Drachen Fire had it's entire rollback system overhauled because they were complaining about noise too much, [in 92 and 93 those rollbacks were as loud as Loch Ness. They removed them and created a rather ingenious new system that would remain disengaged unless the train back to actually roll back, and which point they would ratchet down into place and lock in. To my knowledge it was a one of a kind system, like so many other aspects of Drachen Fire.] every time Busch files for a height permit they go to city hall and fight it, etc. The park has had some pretty amazing sounding plans squashed by those residents in the past:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

(And those were just for Alpengeist. They do this every time. Why people would move in next to a theme park and then complain about said theme park is beyond me, but people move in next to airports and complain about jet noise too, so sometime people are just like that I suppose.)

Also, out east of Drachen Fire you can see on the map "Boneyard Road" and the Boneyard itself. This is where Busch stores it's defunct rides (and sometimes rides they intend to put back in. Katapult has lived back there more than once, as has the spider, the sea dragon, Gladiator's Gauntlet, Drachen Fire's Trains, Wolf's Trains, Le Mann's cars, name a former or temporarily-removed ride from the park, and it's probably spent time in the bone yard). Obviously they could just move it somewhere else if they were going to expand, but BGE seems more interested in taking rides out than expanding into that area. (Griffon easily could have gone on the Drachen Fire site, but they choose not to do so. Obviously none of us will ever know why, but a strong educated guess is to keep the Kings Mill people happy). Additionally the greenhouse is just down south of there, so that whole area would have some issues if a new country goes in.

Obviously, every issue in this post could be overcome (some more easily than others), but historically BGE hasn't appeared to be interested in doing so. A new country really would be a fantastic addition to the park, but if Ireland/Hastings, Wolf/Verbolten, Griffon/Le Mans etc. are any indication, a new country would involve the removal of an old one, not an increase of surface area most likely :/

Hopefully I'm wrong though, a new country would rock, and I am by no means affiliated with BGE or their design process!

One other thing to keep in mind is that

Obviously they could just move it somewhere else if they were going to expand, but BGE seems more interested in taking rides out than expanding into that area. (Griffon easily could have gone on the Drachen Fire site, but they choose not to do so. Obviously none of us will ever know why, but a strong educated guess is to keep the Kings Mill people happy).

So, to appease the residents of Kingsmill, they built Griffon in France, which is closer to Kingsmill? That doesn't really wash, being as you can see Griffon from the Kingsmill Golf Course.

I went in July last year on 2 consecutive days and aside from midday, it was DEAD. Stormy weather probably helped, but my longest wait was on half-day #2 waiting for the front on Alpengeist. Be warned, though; this may not be a typical experience.

Hey I am gonna be there too I have the exact same question. Plus can we just up out stuff in the station while we ride rides or do we put them in metal boxes that lock.

It keeps changing what I'm trying to say to the gooey bunny thing

Hey I am gonna be there too I have the exact same question. Plus can we just up out stuff in the station while we ride rides or do we put them in metal boxes that lock.

I could be completely wrong, but I don't remember any sort of mandatory metal-locking-box policy in place

As for crowds, you might have seen my post up there. I was there for two half-days in the middle of the week in July (one evening and one morning). I would guess that the worst of the crowds will descend at midday, judging from my visit, but I understand that my visit might have been a once-in-a-lifetime dead period. Of course, it's summer, so I'm sure you can factor that in there.

Bags have to be left in a locker or with a non-rider for all the coasters. I believe you can take your stuff with you on the water rides at your own risk. DarKastle and all the flats allow bags.

Weekday crowds during hot season tend to be pretty slow. You won't have to worry about lines much. Just keep an eye on the weather as that usually determines crowds.

Felt like forever since I'd been to Busch Gardens (though I had a good reason) so I took a quick trip over tonight.

WHile I had been on the puzzled side with the whole America thing...

IMG_5636.thumb.JPG.69b94db163a97ca5b0f38106acd695a1.JPG

The Statue of Liberty: Truly, DaVinci's finest masterpiece

but I've decided that, you know what, this festival rules!!!!!

IMG_5633.thumb.JPG.3c22a5abb471c7b8bb6c90fe90571ee2.JPG

(Not technically part of the festival, but still greatly affected my opinion of it)

It was so friggin hot out, Roman Rapids still had a line at 8:30 PM. Of course it doesn't help that they use the turntable to load rafts one at a time. Has it always been like that? I miss the Scandi rapids rides....

Still, my biggest hope for Busch Gardens this year was to get the Bacon Pretzel Fury, and they still need a name for it but it is here

I was pretty puzzled as to why Lady Liberty was in Italy, too. As for the Roman Rapids operations, yeah they've been doing that for years. DarKastle was fairly busy, with no stopping for the preshow.

Edited by cfc

About the clone, I think it'll be called diablo or something.

Also, I may be able to go to either BGW or SFA in August. Kings Dominion is my home park, so I go there quite often. However, I have not been to SFA but have been to BGW but only been able to ride Loch Ness Monster, Verbolten, and Pompeii. Is BGW still worth it, or should I go to get some new credits at SFA?

Side note: if I do decide to go to BGW, should I do a roller coaster insider tour?

^^^ Busch Garden's Williamsburg is easily one of the most pleasurable parks I have ever been too and sits atop my favorite parks list along with Hershey Park and IOA. They have 3 world class B&M's with Alpie, Apollo's Chariot and Griffon. A classic Arrow looper with Nessie and Verbolten which I haven't ridden, but have heard only good things.

Is BGW still worth it, or should I go to get some new credits at SFA?

Er, you're kidding, right?

Side note: if I do decide to go to BGW, should I do a roller coaster insider tour?

The tour is worth it.

Is BGW still worth it, or should I go to get some new credits at SFA?

Er, you're kidding, right?

The tour is worth it.

Thanks for the help. I read about clean up attempts at SFA, but all in all BGW is much cleaner. I was (sort of) kidding with the credits at SFA. It is almost as close to me as BGW, so I figured, why not look into it. Also, from what I remember the service everywhere was good at Busch Gardens.

So i went to Busch last week and i have to say it was a perfect day. No lines for anything. The one thing that bothered me was Europe int the Air. I have never been on it and just went on it to see how bad it really was. It was Horrendous! Worst simuator ever and i even got motion sickness (which never happens)! So here is what im leading up to, why did Busch replace a great ride with this crap? Couldnt they have improved what they had rather than create something new? I never got to ride Corkscrew Hill but ive seen videos and it looked wonderful. The annimation wasnt there but they could have overhauled it like Spiderman. I guess it bothers me to see a great theme park take out a great ride and replace with something not up to par. Lastly, would it be possible to bring back the old movie or is it gone forever?