TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

That's probably because it rolls so fast you get thrown around. Thanks for the info guys. I just wasn't sure since a guy on a youtube channels called coaster studios said it was the roughest invert around. I know of many that are probably worst.

I have another question. How much and how strong is the airtime on appolos chariot

That's probably because it rolls so fast you get thrown around. Thanks for the info guys. I just wasn't sure since a guy on a youtube channels called coaster studios said it was the roughest invert around. I know of many that are probably worst.

I have another question. How much and how strong is the airtime on appolos chariot

The cobra roll is by far the worst part of it. Its not BAD, but its not rough. Its just a headbanger. If it had the wingrider restraints a la banshee, I'm sure it would be a lot better.

Yeah, nothing on Alpengeist is rough, it just whips you like a good old-school B&M invert should. Hold your head to one side for the cobra roll and the snap into the MCBR and you'll be good to go.

For the record, Alpengeist is one of the most underrated coasters out there, if you ask me - people think it's a step away from some good old-school forcefulness (maybe because the MCBR bites nowadays), but that first half is hard to beat.

Good, because I found raptor to be a bit too much for me, and patriot to be good enough for me, but I'd still like better.

How smooth is it

Take my opinion with a grain of salt because it's not the opinion of the majority but I think Alpengeist is one of the best inverts in the country. The first half is extremely forceful and while the second half is less so, the great theming and close proximity to the ground absolutely makes up for it. Plus, the second half of Alpengeist is still more forceful than anything you'll find on a newer B&M invert (minus Banshee).

Alpengeist's cobra roll is awesome and I like the snappy turn into the mid course. It throws you around but it's not painful.

Like I said though, this is coming from someone who loves pretty much every B&M invert and someone who loves Raptor which I know you said you weren't a fan of. I actually consider Raptor to be my favorite invert because of it's snappy transitions and relentless intensity, giving it the slight edge over rides like Montu, Afterburn and Alpengeist and blowing Banshee out of the water (though I really love Banshee).

Honestly I'm sure I'd like raptor nowadays, because I was eight when I rode it. The only other invert I was on before was patriot so I thought it would be like patriot. Alpengeist, appolos chariot, and intimidator 305 are the coasters I'm most excited for this summer,

Also describe to me the airtime on appolos chariot. Is it strong, long or floaty

I have to admit the first time I rode it I was very underwhelmed (that was back in 2001). I didn't ride it again until a few months ago where I had the exact same opinion. Then later in the day we rode it in the very back row and I have a whole new appreciation for that coaster. The difference between the last row and second to last row (or anything in front of it) is night and day. I'd have to say it's my favorite B&M hyper now, and it's also much smoother than Nitro, Intimidator and Diamondback... the other B&M hypercoasters I've ridden (none of which are rough, but they're not nearly as smooth as Apollo).

The wait for the back is never much longer than any other row... do yourself a favor and ride it there and you'll love it. The ride provides some great airtime, especially on the first drop thanks to that weird pre-drop it has.

So apparently theres construction going on back behind the drachen fire station. Could all of those diavolo/tempesto rumors have been false? Or could it be going back there instead? Or perhaps its still on, but this is just something different. But it seems odd that 2 potentially big things would be coming in the same year.

Well I'm hearing that they're still trying to determine where this new coaster will go. Most people I've talked to don't really like the idea too much. I already have my plans as to what they should do with that space back where Drachen Fire used to be.

I still think the new coaster is going up near Apollo's. In regards to the Drachen Fire area, I thought this was planned construction and utility work for the new train station and some final power/utility upgrades for that area.

I actually enjoyed Mach Tower quite a bit though the seats are a little small.

Verbolten is a lot of fun too... I thought Big Bad Wolf was better but this ride is still a lot of fun. The indoor section is really cool and disorienting.

As a drop ride, Mach Tower is OK, although the seats are a bit uncomfortable and it can't hold a candle to Drop Tower at Kings Dominion. The revolving as you ascend is Mach Tower's best feature, and BG definitely offers a nicer view than KD.

Verbolten is a very good ride and a worthy successor to the Big Bad Wolf.

I attended on 06/19 and this was my experience:

Griffon (9.0 of 10): This is by far my favorite B&M. This one was quite intense, original, and all around fun. It had the turns and everything at the right moment.

Loch Ness Monster (8.5 of 10): This offered the best airtime on the initial drop of all the coasters on my trip. It was fun getting to experience the interlocking loops after losing the Orient Express.

Verbolten (8.0 of 10): This ride packed quite a punch despite its size. Very fun.

Apollo's Chariot (8.0 of 10): This was definitely better than the Diamondback (no head ache from all the rattling and had some actual airtime) though not quite as good as Magnum XL-200.

Alpengeist (5.0 of 10): This was the biggest shock. This ride while it was definitely quick didn't feel intense but made me feel more nauseous than anything else. To its credit, It wasn't rough.

All in all, the theming was well done, the staff was great, and the queue's had plenty of shade (thank goodness).

Alpengeist is my favorite coaster there right now. (I know I'm in the minority saying that) I just love a good B&M invert I guess. Then it's definitely Apollo or Verbolten. Loch Ness is always better at night. I skip Griffon when I visit nowadays, as I kinda got bored of it. Grover's coaster is actually pretty fun though.

I attended on 06/19 and this was my experience:

Griffon (9.0 of 10): This is by far my favorite B&M. This one was quite intense, original, and all around fun. It had the turns and everything at the right moment.

Loch Ness Monster (8.5 of 10): This offered the best airtime on the initial drop of all the coasters on my trip. It was fun getting to experience the interlocking loops after losing the Orient Express.

Verbolten (8.0 of 10): This ride packed quite a punch despite its size. Very fun.

Apollo's Chariot (8.0 of 10): This was definitely better than the Diamondback (no head ache from all the rattling and had some actual airtime) though not quite as good as Magnum XL-200.

Alpengeist (5.0 of 10): This was the biggest shock. This ride while it was definitely quick didn't feel intense but made me feel more nauseous than anything else. To its credit, It wasn't rough.

All in all, the theming was well done, the staff was great, and the queue's had plenty of shade (thank goodness).

Please tell me you did the Pet show.

I still think the new coaster is going up near Apollo's. In regards to the Drachen Fire area, I thought this was planned construction and utility work for the new train station and some final power/utility upgrades for that area.

Yeah, it'd make more sense to put a Premier next to Chariot, bigger draws for both lines. However, my main concern is low ride capacity - will they have to distribute Disney-like Fastpasses with specific times?