TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Everything is a la carte. They have several different kiosks for each country/area. Most dishes range from the $4-$6 range, so it can get pretty pricey. I felt like the portion sizes were a little bit bigger this year, so it was actually a pretty decent price considering it's inside of a theme park. If you're going to drink and eat all day, I'd plan on spending at least $75-100.

We just got back from an awesome whirlwind Memorial Day weekend tour of Virginia and were also at BGW on Sunday.

Being that we were with my partner's son, daughter-in-law and grandkids, I didn't get to spend too much time sampling the food and beer. I did manage to sneak in some of that Lax salmon stuff at the Scotland stand...it was interesting, but probably not something I would try again.

Overall a great day despite the fact that I didn't get on Mach Tower, Griffon or Alpengeist. Verbolten was a new credit for me though...very fun ride and a great replacement for BBW!

Going to be at the park in two weeks. We were originally going to go on Friday and Saturday, but it got changed to Monday and Tuesday which I now am a little bummed out after seeing their Food and Whine festival, oh well!

^The samples can run anywhere from $3.00 to $6.00. You can probably enjoy some good stuff if you stay away from the rather pricey alcohol. I recommend the Cheddar and Lager Chowder in Canada, the Steak au Poivre in France, the Chocolate Lava Cake in the American Southwest, and the Hollumi in Greece. But check around the booths, see what you like, and go for it.

Edited by cfc

Wait - BGW has a Spain booth at the Food & Wine Festival? A SPAIN section of the park must be coming after all these years!

In all seriousness, it looks delicious and even better than years before. Thanks for sharing as always Chuck.

Also, hopefully Illuminights gets some love and improvements this season because it just seems to get worse and tackier each year.

So I missed out on meeting up with everyone last weekend, but went and stuffed myself today. The park was nice and empty and the weather was perfect!

I really liked how all of the food booths had nice character to go with the countries- I had almost as much fun looking at the details as I did eating. None of the stands look temporary from the exterior (though during the normal season I find the Greece stand always looked weird as the pizza cone hut).

I may have missed it but I don't think we've heard yet about London Rocks, so I took the task upon to watch it so you don't have to! And I don't think you really do... It is nice to see the Globe being used again, and the stage set-up is quite impressive, with lots of projections providing a drawn video backdrop before and during the show. While technically cool, you still need more to make a good show, and if the name of the show is London Rocks then you'd better have a lot of London Rocking! I did not find this to be the case, as each show scene consisted of 2-3 songs being sung, interspersed with one another so it's one line of song A, one line of song B, some lines of song A, back to B. At one point there are 3 songs, each getting merely one line at a time (and I was being driven crazy that 2 were Beatles songs and 1 was not- where's the pattern!?!) Anyway, I really just couldn't get into it. There's some attempt at a story throughout, but it's very inconsequential as well. They definitely achieve a psychedelic feel, which was the strongest part of the show- seeing the crazy costumes. I might stop in again to check it out, especially on a hot day, but I enjoy Mix it Up or Celtic Fyre much more.

And so, without further ado, too many pictures of food:

1.jpg.e0bff8591aa85cdc1d4ac9ba8bf78fc0.jpg

But first we go through Rock and Roll land- er, I mean jolly jolly London. Remember you need a ticket to see London Rocks except when they decide you don't and are puzzled why you are asking for one!

10.jpg.236c5dc469a693ffb32c68bbd6538014.jpg

Over in Germany, the Schinken Nudel had ham, noodles and cheese and was interesting, but it was really all about the Linzer Torte- excellent crust with a raspberry filling.

11.jpg.615af2bdbb4640127f48365dc9e158e8.jpg

Over in Spain the Ham Wrapped Scallop was a real treat.

12.jpg.b4e7222f73c3341d4c54bf8acbb6ae29.jpg

I was excited that my favorite show at the park, Mix It Up was back! A bit different than last year, but still a fun time.

13.jpg.f1e3366c09524746124ff1f7374ca08d.jpg

Pretty sugar sculptures in DaVinci's Garden.

14.jpg.101f18fe48cf69387a32e05049e51074.jpg

The Halloumi in Greece is a grilled cheese with honey that is not to be missed.

1533305985_151.jpg.42bef41b30bf46a037dee6a1641a52b1.jpg

Preparing my taste buds...

15.thumb.jpg.208e51e61d4aa323fc4df3c2a55954fc.jpg

If only Prince Ludwig had gotten more chocolate as a child maybe he wouldn't be so cranky.

16.jpg.edfb7e6402d0122cd7390f9ebda94311.jpg

Swedish Meatballs with Lingonberry jam were one of my favorites today- I look forward to seeing what kinds of Lingonberry treats I can get in Scandinavia. The dessert was very good as well, though not quite sweet enough for my tastes.

18.jpg.ad23ccce521aca9a679e5e9f62134b5e.jpg

Obligatory coaster picture.

19.jpg.b566cdfd6429b7884170809e50e48d56.jpg

Shrimp Fritters in the Carribean! The chef was very proud of them and I loved them- very theme park-ey but that's what my tastes are.

2.thumb.jpg.cfc0c01ed5925f571aaca46d1112f8b8.jpg

Here's a fine example of the cool booths, though I never knew Canada loved pumpkin so much!

20.jpg.c6649bdb8f1c0cba717038d3a8e10d73.jpg

And finally chicken with a chocolate sauce and lava cake. I liked the cake a lot, but it could use some more lava...

3.jpg.3de13921723e0a8f8ee9e06916442350.jpg

So first Mexico is fatter than us, now Canada's beating us at Macaroni and Cheese? What's happened to this fine nation?

4.jpg.4419b3bd0cb1091a0ad17a71d9168083.jpg

Let's see how it is- nice, cheesy, but I wasn't quite feeling the Canadian Bacon.

5.jpg.21063c9494462f8ab361035ff928ceb3.jpg

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?!

6.jpg.55d3a77e4c4af6a2aa348847ec333fa2.jpg

Octopus's Garden vs. Come Together vs. obligatory "I am The Walrus" line vs. We Will Rock You. But hey, pretty colors!

7.jpg.fa17e9de4d4a9184a342c0ad0f3e4f88.jpg

France band on the other hand was plenty funky, and are so Rock and Roll they won't even tell you when they're gonna play- they just show up and rock the bass!

8.jpg.7e7c8a8413ea60d8148d950fb73e7707.jpg

Chicken Stew on a Belgium Waffle. Highly recommended.

9.jpg.d81d02a11cf31e996999d67237ef9fed.jpg

The clock figures are moving! Have I just never noticed this or have they just been reactivated?

A few friends of mine have seen London Rocks and not one of them actually enjoyed the show unfortunately. Quite disappointing since it's the only "new" attraction of the season.

However, thanks for another view and tour of Food & Wine. I feel like this event is slowly becoming the best time of the year at BGW.

I don't think London Rocks is quite as bad as some people are making it out to be, as it is better than better than all versions of Entwined . . . OK, that's setting the bar pretty low. I liked their use of projections, although I thought the bits with the "Queen" were too "Monty Python Lite."

But, hey, Food & Wine is where it's at.

Edited by cfc

Wait - BGW has a Spain booth at the Food & Wine Festival? A SPAIN section of the park must be coming after all these years!

It would only make sense if a Dragon Khan clone was involved

Especially after the mess that was Drachen Fire...

I love how "Canada", in most theme parks including Disney,

represent the country with either cheese soup - or mac'n cheese...or both!

And Molson/Kokanee/Canadian Beer, and maple syrup pie, and poutine.....

I love it!