TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

For those of you looking for a faster transition over a 'transfer' type of track just think of the ones on Everest at Animal Kingdom. You're going much faster and forwards and backwards over them and they're seamless.

And if Vekoma can build something described as 'seamless', anybody can.

I agree with the disappointment, because Busch parks are "supposed" to get original, meaningful coaster additions.

As neat as Superman: Ultimate Flight is, it doesn't match up with Busch's catalog of previous coaster installments, and that that makes me, along with many of you guys -- think Sea World is going to cheapen up on future investments. For example, what's next? A brand new Vekoma Boomerang?

I have a feeling however that BGW is not getting a SUF clone. My gut says something new(although very similar), then BGW can keep its "cool" credentials in the coaster community. Hell, maybe it's the first free flow(4D)(?) ride? Whatever video Robert and Elisa and kid rode in Utah recently. I'm not complaining about a new ride - a new coaster is better then no new coaster.--- I think I'd rather see two new flat rides added however ---- I just think with BGW's history, a low capacity Premier launch coaster is a lackluster addition. It seems rather rushed/forced. And when the word get around the area that the line doesn't move, and that the ride is 24 seconds in length, attendance won't see much of an uptick, and rider satisfaction on this attraction will be quite low. Save the 4 million you would have spent on that addition, and put it towards a wicked adult launch coaster like Helix!

On a completely different page............

I haven't been there in 8 years, but how great would it be to hear that they were knocking down Mach Tower, and putting in a Falcons Fury clone? Now there's a clone I think everyone could get behind!

Also..... why does Mach Tower have such a bad reputation? I understand it's apparently always down, and never operating. Why? What is the newer technology that led to the current situation, and such a bad word of mouth? What's the difference in Mach Tower, vs. a ride such as Drop Zone at Kings island?

Thanks, coaster kidS!

I agree with the disappointment, because Busch parks are "supposed" to get original, meaningful coaster additions.

As neat as Superman: Ultimate Flight is, it doesn't match up with Busch's catalog of previous coaster installments, and that that makes me, along with many of you guys -- think Sea World is going to cheapen up on future investments. For example, what's next? A brand new Vekoma Boomerang?

I have a feeling however that BGW is not getting a SUF clone. My gut says something new(although very similar), then BGW can keep its "cool" credentials in the coaster community. Hell, maybe it's the first free flow(4D)(?) ride? Whatever video Robert and Elisa and kid rode in Utah recently. I'm not complaining about a new ride - a new coaster is better then no new coaster.--- I think I'd rather see two new flat rides added however ---- I just think with BGW's history, a low capacity Premier launch coaster is a lackluster addition. It seems rather rushed/forced. And when the word get around the area that the line doesn't move, and that the ride is 24 seconds in length, attendance won't see much of an uptick, and rider satisfaction on this attraction will be quite low. Save the 4 million you would have spent on that addition, and put it towards a wicked adult launch coaster like Helix!

I think with how cheap these coasters are, and how well of a ride they give, it's a good bang for the buck. If you think of it, it's like any flat ride out there. There's always another one like it at another park, yet they still add one, whether that be Canobie, Six Flags, Cedar Point, or BGW. They are also much easier to market than a flat ride, so it's a smart move for almost any park to make.

For those of you looking for a faster transition over a 'transfer' type of track just think of the ones on Everest at Animal Kingdom. You're going much faster and forwards and backwards over them and they're seamless.

THIS

Two of the three San Antonio coasters are clones and one of them is a common Batman clone. It's not like the Busch parks haven't built clones in the past. Clones are common for a reason. They're cheap, easy to install, and they provide bang for your buck - even a boomerang or an SLC.

Also..... why does Mach Tower have such a bad reputation? I understand it's apparently always down, and never operating. Why? What is the newer technology that led to the current situation, and such a bad word of mouth? What's the difference in Mach Tower, vs. a ride such as Drop Zone at Kings island?

The ride has tons of moving parts which means it's more prone to shutdowns. Combine that with a spotty track record (including crashing to the ground during testing) and you've got a bad reputation.

When it works, Mach Tower is a decent ride (the rotation as you head up is its best feature). But it isn't as good as Drop Tower at Kings Dominion.

How has no one mentioned the best part of this whole rumor yet? It's supposed to be named Diavolo. How's that for a bad-a$$ name?! (Okay, maybe it's just a project name, but it still bodes well for the theme...)

Well as long as there's a dual station then my opinion changes. I really hope that the story and theme around it work really well. My only other concern is they get rid of Europe in the Air and and replace it with something else.

How has no one mentioned the best part of this whole rumor yet? It's supposed to be named Diavolo. How's that for a bad-a$$ name?!

Actually I do like the name, pretty bad-ass indeed.

^ Winner! And boy, would a coaster like that be welcomed up there!

I dunno, I love Premier launching coasters, and I think this model (though I've yet to ride one) looks pretty awesome myself! Add some Busch theming and I think the park has a potential kick-butt and unique (the only other one in the U.S. is on the other freaking side of the country!) ride on their hands. I haven't seen anything that dismisses the notion of a dual station, so I don't think anything can be ruled out until the park announces something. And if it doesn't have a dual station? It won't change the fact that it's a great ride. Shoot, if the line is that long, then that's what Quick Queue is for!!

I'll be at the park tomorrow (Sunday). What's good to eat in the park?

The pretzels at the shop in Germany. Don't even think about buying a pretzel anywhere else in the park. I usually just eat them (or a pretzel wrapped sausage) rather than meals.

The BBQ in New France is good for a big meal.

I also enjoyed the Irish Stew in Ireland, and the Italian restaurant is pretty good. The only time I've been disappointed in the food was when I tried the pizza/pasta buffet- never again!

I'll be at the park tomorrow (Sunday). What's good to eat in the park?

The pretzels at the shop in Germany. Don't even think about buying a pretzel anywhere else in the park. I usually just eat them (or a pretzel wrapped sausage) rather than meals.

The BBQ in New France is good for a big meal.

I also enjoyed the Irish Stew in Ireland, and the Italian restaurant is pretty good. The only time I've been disappointed in the food was when I tried the pizza/pasta buffet- never again!

I also like the pretzel dog (or sausage) for lunch, and agree that the pizza/pasta buffet isn't very good.

Went to BGW this past Sunday. My first time back to the park in 15 years! I had a blast! Rode my first Dive Coaster, Griffon.... and I am a fan! The operators were great. They were excited and interacted with us. The forces and power in the drops were awesome. I didn't have high expectations for Verbolten... but it definitely gave me overall the best experience. It is just full of laughs, giggles, and good times. I enjoyed the theme and I was too busy having fun to worry about the unfinished look of the building. Ride looked great. It was the only ride to jolt me a little however that concern subsided quickly. Mach Tower ran all day. The seats were uncomfortable to me... the view was great but I thought I read the ride carriage was supposed to vibrate and play music. Neither happened.

Apollos Chariot was great! Definitely still one my favorite B&M hypers, if not my favorite (still deciding). Not happy that the operator never said enjoy your ride or engaged us riders. He didn't say anything actually ... just dispatched the train without any added hype or excitement. Alpengeist was full of nostalgia for me... and this was the ride that turned me from a chicken into an all out fearless coaster riders back in the 90s. I forgot how snappy and fast the cobra roll was. I loved all of it! The Operator at this ride was on the phone the entire time and likewise didn't really care to engage us riders. Just kept on in her conversation on the phone and dispatched. I have to give BGW total praise and kudos for maintaining Lochness the way they have. The ride was smooth as butter. It shows that BGW is doing something right that most parks are doing wrong. Nessie runs great!

Curse of Darkastle was.... just... OK. The ride fell short somewhere for me. Maybe it was because I couldn't get into the theme due the fact that the attendants and operators were being un professional on the speaker and killing the pre show. Also, I am still trying to figure out if I was spit on at the end of the ride. The final scene made it appear as if the dude spits on you. Ughh! A girl was crying her eyes out as we exited the ride... I think she felt offended by being spit on as well lol

I think overall, I was just shocked at all how quiet all the coasters seemed. The coasters didn't drown out conversations or the ambient music. I love plethora of trees... it really helps keep you invested in the surrounding theme of each country. Definitely still the most beautiful park in my opinion. Having journeyed over by Apollos Chariot... I can say that another coaster in that area is definitely welcomed in my opinion. I have no problem with them adding a Premier clone. More coasters are fine with me. Plus it gives something else thrilling to do in that section of the park.

I absolutely loved the wine tastings, the beer, and the ride on the Ferry. I have to personally say the captains on the ferries were an absolute joy to interact with. They were awesome and really added to the day. In general, I think I think it was the operations outside of the rides that really solidified this visit.,... From the parking lot trams, food and beverage vendors, to the retail vendors. The workers on the midway seemed very enthusiastic and more than willing to help... Whereas the ride operations (aside from Griffon, Verbolten, Mach Tower, and the Ferries) seemed to care less about engaging guest and more focused on the chatter among themselves, on the phone, or just didn't care).

I look forward to visiting again..

*Sings*: "Auf Wiedersehennnnnnnnnnnnnn"

Mach Tower ran all day. The seats were uncomfortable to me... the view was great but I thought I read the ride carriage was supposed to vibrate and play music. Neither happened.

Curse of Darkastle was.... just... OK. The ride fell short somewhere for me. Maybe it was because I couldn't get into the theme due the fact that the attendants and operators were being un professional on the speaker and killing the pre show. Also, I am still trying to figure out if I was spit on at the end of the ride. The final scene made it appear as if the dude spits on you. Ughh! A girl was crying her eyes out as we exited the ride... I think she felt offended by being spit on as well lol

Mach Tower did, indeed, have music and "vibrating" seats. They still play holiday music during Christmas Town, when the park operates the ride as an observation tower. But the vibrating seats were an annoying, unreliable gimmick, which didn't really add anything to the ride (except for a rather loud "fart" sound that you could hear all over Octoberfest).

Although there is a water effect at the end of DarKastle, it isn't King Ludwig "spitting" on you. He's been turned to solid ice, and the water is supposed to represent ice crystals when his body "explodes."

The wine tastings are very nice. I'm glad you enjoyed your day.

Mach Tower did, indeed, have music and "vibrating" seats. They still play holiday music during Christmas Town, when the park operates the ride as an observation tower. But the vibrating seats were an annoying, unreliable gimmick, which didn't really add anything to the ride (except for a rather loud "fart" sound that you could hear all over Octoberfest).

Although there is a water effect at the end of DarKastle, it isn't King Ludwig "spitting" on you. He's been turned to solid ice, and the water is supposed to represent ice crystals when his body "explodes."

The wine tastings are very nice. I'm glad you enjoyed your day.

Ahhhh... well then yeah if the vibrating seats on Mach Tower weren't anything special then I guess the effect is not missed. The ride actually dropped faster than it appears in videos. It was ok for a drop tower ... I'll give it that.. but those seats were not comfortable... and the harness pinched my arms... I could hold my arms up like i would on other drop rides.

Thanks for clearing up that King Ludwig did not spit on me.... I was about to hold a grudge against him. I was like how is he going to invite me into his home and then spit on me for leaving LOL!

I can't wait to ride Griffon again... when i rode Verbolten I kept getting the Wolf story line.

Edited by vacoaster09