TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

I think BGT is an excellent park; one of the best parks around, even. But BGW doesn't quite have that same level of awesomeness about it. Verbolten's a cool ride and all, but it's not a top-10 coaster like i305 just down the road or even as much fun as Cheetah Hunt at BGT. Alpengeist is one of my least favorite inverts (conversely, Montu is right at the top of my list, pending a ride on Banshee). While Loch Ness Monster is one of the best Arrow coasters, it's still an Arrow coaster. Apollo's Chariot blew my mind when I first rode it in spring 2002. But it doesn't have that WOW factor anymore.

They need a ride with that WOW factor. And while this proposed ride might have that, the capacity looks to be such a nightmare that I just don't think the end result will be all that great. I suppose if you think of it more like a flat then it might not be all that bad, but the low capacity may still be disappointing.

And I'm not trying to say that BGW is a bad park by any stretch. It's not. It just doesn't stand up too well to direct head-to-head comparisons with its sister park.

I've only been to BGT once and was expecting it to blow BGW out of the water. Maybe it was the homer in me, but I thought BGT only really edged BGW by a little. Granted, I haven't visited BGT since 2006. I still find Apollo's Chariot as great as it was its first season. I was actually a little underwhelmed by Montu, given its reputation. I will say that Alpengeist for me has gone way down hill for me over the past 5-6 years and I'll only give it a token ride. Also, I really was hoping for something along the lines of Cheetah Hunt instead of Verbolten.

How's Kumba running these days? I remember loving the hell out of it but have the nagging suspicion it may have roughened up a bit over the past 8 years.

Honestly, an additon like this just doesn't seem to add up to me. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't actually a S:UF clone. The Height of 150ft. is roughly the same as the smaller of the 2 new S&S 4D zacspin type coasters. Fingers crossed.

I think it looks like great addition, if it's true, the rides at SFDK and Holiday Park looks awesome.

I'm sure the park have considered the capacity, and are addressing it to fit their needs. Even if they don't, they won't be the first big park to install a low capacity ride, as mentioned earlier.

Also we need to remember that the park got a ridiculously expensive coaster in 2012, I think a big ass, expensive ride for 2015 is out of the question.

I've only been to BGT once and was expecting it to blow BGW out of the water. Maybe it was the homer in me, but I thought BGT only really edged BGW by a little. Granted, I haven't visited BGT since 2006. I still find Apollo's Chariot as great as it was its first season. I was actually a little underwhelmed by Montu, given its reputation. I will say that Alpengeist for me has gone way down hill for me over the past 5-6 years and I'll only give it a token ride. Also, I really was hoping for something along the lines of Cheetah Hunt instead of Verbolten.

I have to agree with this. I think BGT has the better roller coasters, but BGW has a better overall experience and atmosphere.

How's Kumba running these days? I remember loving the hell out of it but have the nagging suspicion it may have roughened up a bit over the past 8 years.

When I rode it last year, it was amazing! The only part I found remotely "rough" was the turn between the interlocking corkscrews. It's still one of my favorite roller coasters.

As for this new ride, if it is a S:UF clone, Drachen Fire won't be the most hated ride in BGW history. I'm sure Busch will the ride make stand out but I will say that I think it's really bizarre that they would put it directly right next to Apollo's Chariot.

I think BGT is an excellent park; one of the best parks around, even. But BGW doesn't quite have that same level of awesomeness about it. Verbolten's a cool ride and all, but it's not a top-10 coaster like i305 just down the road or even as much fun as Cheetah Hunt at BGT. Alpengeist is one of my least favorite inverts (conversely, Montu is right at the top of my list, pending a ride on Banshee). While Loch Ness Monster is one of the best Arrow coasters, it's still an Arrow coaster. Apollo's Chariot blew my mind when I first rode it in spring 2002. But it doesn't have that WOW factor anymore.

You're strictly talking about roller coasters though. I believe that Busch Gardens Williamsburg is a much better complete experience. Plus the landscaping is just gorgeous!

They need a ride with that WOW factor. And while this proposed ride might have that, the capacity looks to be such a nightmare that I just don't think the end result will be all that great. I suppose if you think of it more like a flat then it might not be all that bad, but the low capacity may still be disappointing.

And I'm not trying to say that BGW is a bad park by any stretch. It's not. It just doesn't stand up too well to direct head-to-head comparisons with its sister park.

I think both parks are beautiful and both parks have great coaster collections. They're both world class parks.

That being said one park has Kumba and one park doesn't... so there's no debate for me. I love the coasters at both parks though... the only bad coaster at either of them is Gwazi.

By the way, I just wanted to point out that I love Alpengeist. I don't know why people think this ride is rough... it's really not, at least not when we rode it this Spring. Maybe we just got it on a good day or maybe it had an issue with a wheel last year but I loved this ride in the front and the back. That Cobra roll is flat out nuts. Montu is better, but in my opinion only slightly.

Oh... and Kumba isn't rough at all, no need to be concerned. We rode it for the first time this February and it puts every other B&M I've ridden to shame.

I just don't get the bitching about the capacity of this ride. They could do nothing and capacity would be zero. It is a unique ride and there isn't another one like it for thousands of miles. Why does everything have to be a people eater? Be happy they are getting something.

I am taking my 4 kids on Friday for the first time. I am hoping for a small crowd. Now I can get that Air Grover credit without looking like Chester the Molester. I will then have both Air Grovers out of the way. They all want to wear their BGT shirts. I am not a fan of wearing amusement park shirts to amusement parks but it is for the kids. If you go Friday and you see a dorky looking family in BGT shirts its me. My wife refuses to wear one.

^^^Agreed. Premier has a dual station option (IE: Mr. Freeze coasters) that maybe BGW could be considering. Still won't make it a people eater but who cares? These Premier coasters are a lot of fun and it is better than no addition at all.

Plus there's no confirmation that is the type of ride/coaster they are getting....

^^^Agreed. Premier has a dual station option (IE: Mr. Freeze coasters) that maybe BGW could be considering. Still won't make it a people eater but who cares? These Premier coasters are a lot of fun and it is better than no addition at all.

Plus there's no confirmation that is the type of ride/coaster they are getting....

Exactly. I'm a fan of Premier launched coasters, myself; then again, we really don't know for sure yet, do we?

Exactly. I'm a fan of Premier launched coasters, myself; then again, we really don't know for sure yet, do we?

Would it be possible to add an extra car or more seats to the two cars? This would increase capacity on top of the duel station. I am excited for an addition like this. It has a unique look plus an twisty layout.

Mäch Tower is open?!?! What!!!! No way! That's crazy. Every time I go its broken down...hopefully I'll get lucky next time I go. And has the Loch Ness monster train always not had the logo on the front of the train? In that photo, there was no logo. Thought it looked odd. Is Europe in the air up snd running? I've been to the park a bunch of times but still have yet to ride it.

You're strictly talking about roller coasters though. I believe that Busch Gardens Williamsburg is a much better complete experience. Plus the landscaping is just gorgeous!

There are several big things that people consider when ranking parks. For the comparison between BGW & BGT, I'm mainly considering the rides and the animal attractions. While I do agree that BGW is much better landscaped, I think BGT has the better ride collection and animal experiences. Unless there's something I've missed out on on my past visits, that is.

So far, I prefer BGT over BGW. And I visited BGW first, am not particularly interested in African theming over European, and do feel BGW has more potential with its terrain (though BGT does an amazing job with what they have). I feel like I "got" the atmosphere of BGT right away, whereas I was a little "off" about BGW and had to gradually get into it, though that's not necessarily a sign of lower quality (also has happened to me with places as fine as SDC and Hersheypark). I think BGT also has a better coaster collection; one of the highest-quality in the nation. Then again, it matters little in the end as I have BGT as a top-5 park and BGW as a top-10 park, a small difference in the scheme of things.