TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

The remote control boats have been around for a few years now. They're removed during Christmas Town because Pompeii is decked out in lights.

Not sure how long the monster trucks were around. I saw them in 2011 but I assume they've sat underneath Griffon since it opened.

Drachen Fire looks interesting, too bad it was so rough. Do you think the ride would still be around if Arrow had started "heartlining" their rides with computer systems (Like B&M) in the late 80's/very early 90's?

They couldn't find a disc drive to hold a coat hanger.

Hearlining the ride in the design stages would have increased the output quality of the ride and therefore I Think it would have stayed. By heartlining it, the ride is almost on the same level as a B&M and there haven't been many B&Ms removed from parks, or at least not lately.

Drachen Fire looks interesting, too bad it was so rough. Do you think the ride would still be around if Arrow had started "heartlining" their rides with computer systems (Like B&M) in the late 80's/very early 90's?

They couldn't find a disc drive to hold a coat hanger.

Hearlining the ride in the design stages would have increased the output quality of the ride and therefore I Think it would have stayed. By heartlining it, the ride is almost on the same level as a B&M and there haven't been many B&Ms removed from parks, or at least not lately.

That's mainly because B&M's also provided interesting new elements to the coasters that Arrow did not provide at the time. Also, for the most part, B&M's are capacity monsters and are very reliable.

I bet the residents of Kingsmill were thrilled when DF was taken down. They complained left and ride about the noise from the coaster.

I do miss the LED lighting on the side of the trains at night.

*Side note: Anyone seen all the track sections of the flume missing?

BG is putting alot of $ and effort to keep that flume ride open....coming up on 40th Anniversary pretty soon.

here are some great photos of the park (including park construction)

"Back in the day"

links:

http://touch.dailypress.com/#section/-1/gallery/p2p-49691936/

http://touch.dailypress.com/#section/704/gallery/p2p-78447220/

Came back yesterday from a quick show run.

Deck the Halls was a great show. Good cast, fun music. It was about on par with last year.

Miracles on the other hand. Wow. I dunno what changes they made to the show, but it seemed a lot better than last year. It might've even dethroned Gloria as my favorite CT show. The singers and actors did an amazing job.

I went to the park after work last night to get my Christmas Town pass and grab a bite to eat. While I was there, I took some more pictures and shot a little video of the "O Tannenbaum" synchronized lights-and-music show in front of the Festhaus.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Christmas_Town_2_092_5q0j[/coastertube]

Here are some more pictures from that night.

03.jpg.7568dda1717e7ceebe96ea08f27a09d1.jpg

The little waterfall by the ticket booths. How many of you even knew this was here?

04.jpg.49eece4ee8478beb5ce6e6da8e834b7f.jpg

The big-balls Christmas tree--in extreme close up!

05.thumb.jpg.0d855b3839b29199b44645fa6316d9ac.jpg

A wreath on the exterior wall of the Union Jax store in England. If you're looking for Beatles-related Christmas ornaments, this is the place.

06.jpg.0d05e6ca805449a627389b297afece67.jpg

Candy apples--where nutrition and teeth-rotting goodness team up.

08.thumb.jpg.20250325513bcc130ed8a591884ef281.jpg

They do a little light show in France to the "12 Days of Christmas." The queen just loves the paparazzi as she hangs out by the tree.

11.jpg.30544b7dc5bc32d3427b88b3b88e966a.jpg

The carousel has Christmas music and a light scheme to match.

13.jpg.1dd250c6b533254ae98a0dd6a4b9e887.jpg

Trees in Germany--if you look closely, you might just see an actual working Nacht Tower! ;)

14.jpg.235a5b24e0139137a106eb2dc15e1926.jpg

The marketplace looking toward the Festhaus, where I chowed down on a prime rib sandwich. They serve a nice turkey dinner, too, along with the sausage sampler (only with mashed garlic potatoes instead of German potato salad). The gingerbread cheesecake is good, too.

15.jpg.b94d32215073e66c446799dc94683c0f.jpg

A model train set chugs around in the gift shop across from DarKastle. (King Ludwig refuses to decorate for the holidays. Every neighborhood has someone like that.)

18.jpg.9043524e0767ce3922b77a807fccb834.jpg

Speaking of the Miracles show, I bumped into my neighbors Chico and Irma, and this was their favorite one this year. It's in Italy.

19.jpg.330bddd0211a3534cb1ccec5c677f99d.jpg

Angels are a big deal in Italy, too.

20.jpg.9c11065ff3c33eabd2bf6999af6da77e.jpg

Yay! All the lights are working tonight! (They had some problems with this sign on opening day.)

21.jpg.5d33ddf5f4b33c364ac3559d0681e3c5.jpg

There's another light-and-music show here.

22.jpg.461f70b46c62def7837105f582a44660.jpg

The Trade Wind becomes Snowman Summit for Christmas Town.

25.jpg.282f210a6b7e8ef921722038bd3ee8f0.jpg

The Elephant Run is the Reindeer Run until December 31.

26.jpg.b598be3ced24cf13638ba3cd24f23e63.jpg

There's a nice little Christmas shop near Apollo's Chariot (the ride is closed during Christmas Town).

27.jpg.dce9d0bfd639ad44060e8fa593c60d3d.jpg

The tree is decorated with retro toys . . .

28.jpg.dbed501dac7351dc3df707fba63c7a26.jpg

. . . some cool . . .

29.jpg.9e982dbc3aa08bbcf66cfd94b91b212f.jpg

. . . some a little creepy.

30.thumb.jpg.edf1b588b79b9f1c7a509fd3152361e7.jpg

The fireplace is a nice touch.

31.thumb.jpg.82b04e5164494ac82644c33115726748.jpg

"Bow to your robot overlords!"

32.jpg.259e7b3134a638bed1cf256fe4a9e788.jpg

As I've said before, I really like what they do with Pompeii during Christmas Town--even if the ride looks a bit like two enormous Domos with long blue tongues.

33.jpg.ef7917eb49bd89db391f88a2fe7565d0.jpg

That's all--Merry Christmas!

Thanks for sharing the great photos of ChristmasTown Chuck! I seriously miss Busch Gardens Williamsburg and hope I can make it back up there sometime in the near future to see for myself all that has changed since our visit during the 2006 East Coast Tour!

All three shows are phenomenal this year. Deck the Halls is about as good as last year. Gloria is phenomenal with it's amazing actors and music score. Miracles is amazing. Probably even better than it was last year. I actually felt it was the best show of this year.

I've never taken the tour myself but I do know there are plenty of perks.

Go to the top of Griffon.

Tour Alpengeist and Loch Ness maintenance bays

Front of line access to the coasters.

I haven't heard if the Verbolten tour is incorporated with the regular coaster tour yet. Assuming it has.

You'll tour Verbolten's building

Get up close to the bridge drop

And access controls

I dont recall the price tag, but I reckon it'll be worth it for all the stuff you get to do.

Thank you to Busch Gardens for another great season. Food and Wine, Howl O Scream, and Christmas Town were fantastic.

Christmas Town rundown.

Park is as beautiful as everthis year. Rode Mach Tower for the first time since last CT and it was beautiful from the top. All three shows are amazing as well.

Gloria.- even better than last year. The singers were incredible. Still dont care for the power point presentation in the foreground.

Deck the Halls - about as good as last year.

Miracles - after last nights show, I'd say its about the same as Gloria. Great music and dancing. Visuals arent as heavy as the othsr two shows but I dig the minimal stage.

Can't wait to return to the park next year.

Edited by netdvn

Was planning on finally hitting up bgw next year and saw that they offer a guided behind the scenes coaster tour and was wondering if anyone on here has taken it before and if so, was it worth the money?

I did it earlier this year - was definitely worth the money, you get a good behind-the-scenes look at Loch Ness Monster, Griffon and Alpengeist, as well as multiple rides on all coasters including Apollo's Chariot. It had rained very heavily the night before our tour so instead of going up Griffon's lift hill the guide gave us a behind-the-scenes look at Verbolten as well, again with multiple rides. And then after the tour you get a front-of-line pass for the coasters as well - I'd definitely recommend this tour!

Cost of tours will increase slightly for 2014. The park has not posted the $ yet. You will still get 10% off with your season pass.

here is the website: (2014 tours and prices will be updated before new season starts-check back periodically).

http://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/Book-Online/Extras/BehindTheScenesTours?from=Top_Nav

How does BGE's Christmas Town compare to their Howl O Scream and even the regular park? For me, BGT's Howl O Sceam is light years better than Christmas Town, and I would even put a visit to the park on a regular day higher than visiting during Christmas Town. There are too many rides closed, none of the good animal exhibits are open, and none of the added experiences really make up for it. BGE looks like it puts on a better Christmas event, but how does it compare?