TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

Just got back from our first ever trek to BGW. Amazing park! We did three days open-til-close and loved every minute (except the heat). Alpengeist is the fastest most forceful invert that I have ridden thus far. We were also treated to an insanely cool fireworks ride on Griffon! We had such a great time at BG we almost forgot about i305 being down at KD...

Since last night was the final night of Illuminights, time to post a quick review. Despite being at the park for most of the Illuminights season, I only managed to catch one show. I saw Giardinio Magico last year and the year before. It was good both years, so I assumed it never really changed.

Killarney Kommotion (3/5) - Even though everyone absolutely hated this show (friends and fans alike) I thought it wasn't the worst show ever and with a bit of retooling, it would be greatly improved. If the park added a lot more acrobatics on the tower and changed out the music choice to include a bit more Irish music, it would be a ton better. I didn't really have a problem with the pop music that they played. I also noticed the musicians from Celtic Fyre play in the background too (although Celtic Fyre is infinitely better than this).

Decor (4/5) - Although the decorations still look ugly and tacky in some places, I really dig the scaled back event. In years past, the park would be covered from head to toe in ugly garland and streamers. This year there's an emphasis on the "gardens" motif with all the animals. Just wish the park took a bit more effort putting together the animal props. They look a bit ugly. Glow tree in Oktoberfest is better than Wunderbarn and Clocktoberfest, but could use a bit of alcohol and a more interactive tree. I'm sure the park would make a killing off both glow and alcohol.

Overall: I still prefer the park to stay the way it is without decorations during summer and would rather see Illuminights leave for a bigger budget in Food & Wine, HOS, and CT.

Edited by netdvn

The Drachen Fire station has been a Howl-o-Scream maze (it's the site of Bitten) for quite a few years (the ride's barn has been used for one, too).

Edited by cfc

So what is in the area where Drachen Fire was?

Right now that area contains the Black Forest picnic grounds, the old Drachen Fire station, which houses a haunt maze during Howl-O-Scream, the Drachen Fire barn, and a big, huge grassy area *cough cough*

Ok, thank you everybody for your responses! I've never been to BGW so I need people to paint me a picture from time to time so to speak lol. I remember a rumor of a possible wooden coaster going in the park. (weak rumor I might add), but if this were to happen would the Drachen Fire plot be the best spot for it? Also from an enthusiast standpoint, BGW needs a bigger coaster line up. It seems like a great, and beautiful park none the less.

Ok, thank you everybody for your responses! I've never been to BGW so I need people to paint me a picture from time to time so to speak lol. I remember a rumor of a possible wooden coaster going in the park. (weak rumor I might add), but if this were to happen would the Drachen Fire plot be the best spot for it? Also from an enthusiast standpoint, BGW needs a bigger coaster line up. It seems like a great, and beautiful park none the less.

BGW tends to go for quality over quantity when it comes to coasters--not that I would object to, say, an RMC coaster or an Intamin woodie in the park.

The park has released some more information about Howl-o-Scream 2013. And, yes, it looks like Fear Fair has been replaced with a pirate-themed maze: Cut Throat Cove.

HOWL-O-SCREAM® AT BUSCH GARDENS®

RETURNS WITH A TERROR-IFFIC PLOT

Howl-O-Scream® is back for 2013 and it’s scarier than ever starting Sept. 13

WILLIAMSBURG (August 15, 2013) – With less than a month to go until Howl-O-Scream® begins another haunting season, Busch Gardens® is lifting the veil and revealing the frightening tricks and treats guests will experience if they’re brave enough to enter the park after dark.

Starting Friday the thirteenth of September, Busch Gardens’ charming European villages are transformed – taken over by demons and creatures of unspeakable horror – into four Terror-tories™. With the introduction of Terror-tories, transformed lands where spirits and fiends walk amongst the living, Busch Gardens has introduced a whole new immersive aspect to Howl-O-Scream. France, Italy, Germany and England will be transformed into an over-the-top thematic experience that transports guests to another time and place full of startles and frights.

Chart a course through the haunted waters in Italy, flee the flames of burning France, avoid becoming a vampire’s dinner in Germany or hunt for Jack the Ripper in London’s East End. In this immersive experience, guests are the main characters whose fates are linked to the creatures roaming through the dark side of the gardens. Pirates, demons, vampires and Jack the Ripper himself await, so beware or become their latest victim.

Keep a weather-eye open in Cut Throat Cove™, Howl-O-Scream’s newest haunted house where bone-chilling surprises lurk at every turn and mutiny is afoot in this pirate-themed attraction.

Looking for a little liquid courage? Stop by Demon Drinks, Pirate Baarrrrgh™, Open CASKet™ and the Inoculation Station for drinks that are frightfully good. Or reserve a spot at one of three immersive dining experiences at Blood Banquet™, Fright Feast™ and Buccaneer Galley. Then check out one of Howl-O-Scream’s signature shows. Night Beats™, Dig It Up! and Fiends are all returning to entertain and terrify audiences for the 2013 season.

Parents and guardians of young children should heed this warning. At the stroke of 6 p.m., the ghouls and haunts come out to play and Busch Gardens becomes a seriously scary place. Guests are advised to consider the park’s elevated scare factor when deciding to visit Busch Gardens with young children during Howl-O-Scream.

Get a Fall Fun Card and enjoy unlimited admission to Howl-O-Scream for the price of a one-day admission. Howl-O-Scream begins Sept. 13 and continues to terrify weekends through Oct. 27. For more information and a complete operating schedule, visit www.howloscream.com/va or call (800) 343-7946.

BGW tends to go for quality over quantity when it comes to coasters--not that I would object to, say, an RMC coaster or an Intamin woodie in the park.

I also think a GCI would be great!

Definitely looking forward to Howl-O-Scream this year. I found out I'll be there for two days so thats enough to check out everything.

As for putting another coaster in Drachen Fire's spot, that would be awesome and I'd love to see it happen. I wouldn't mind seeing a GCI or RMC in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

I have what may be a stupid ticket question, but I just want to make sure before I buy...

For the BGW Fall Fun card, does that include all-day park admission AND haunt? On the website it says "Pay for a day and get unlimited visits to Howl-O-Scream." I have to believe that this also includes park admission outside of haunt hours, but KD has separate haunt/park ticket options, so I wanted to make sure that wasn't how BGW worked too...

^They're supposed to make some sort of announcement concerning 2014 this Saturday as part of Passholder Appreciation Weekend. The only thing I know of for certaib is that a new show is going into the Globe Theatre and that it might be themed to British pop music (Madagascar has been kicked around, too).

Edited by cfc

Ahoy! Thar be a new pirate-themed store fer Howl-o-Scream this year, swabs.

X MARKS THE SPOT FOR PIRATE TREASURE AT BUSCH GARDENS®

WILLIAMSBURG (September 3, 2013) – Busch Gardens® is making it easy to get into the pirate spirit during Howl-O-Scream® with the introduction of Captain Barghbie’s Booty™, a pirate-themed store in the park’s new Ports of Skull™ Terror-tory™.

Captain Barghbie’s Booty will bear little resemblance to Bella Casa Gifts, the shop’s prior iteration, after its piratical transformation.

“We’re very excited about how the store is going to look,” said Phil Barbie, the park’s merchandise director and the store’s reluctant namesake. “It’s going to be like you’re actually on a boat. You walk into one area and it feels like you’re in the belly of the ship. In another spot we’ve filled the captain’s quarters with treasure. “

In addition to traditional Howl-O-Scream items, the shop has a vast ocean of new riches to offer, including nautical-themed gifts that are perfect for the whole year as well as pirate-themed plunder for purchase.

“There are going to be great toys for kids including pirate toys and some dress-up accessories to help you transform into a fearsome pirate,” said Barbie.

For buccaneers 21 and over, Captain Barghbie’s Booty will also offer a select sampling of adult beverages. During the day, guests can still enjoy wine tastings. In the evenings, guests can enjoy a selection of rum-based drinks.

“We’re also offering gold by the inch, so you can pick your chain and a charm,” said Barbie, “Since it’s by the inch, you can decide whether or not you want something a little more fitted or more of a pendant.”

Busch Gardens’ artisans will have a selection of Capodimonte jewelry and sculptures including the famous “eyeball rose” that has become symbol of serious scares at Busch Gardens.

To help guests immerse themselves in the frightening worlds created in the Terror-tories the store will also have face-painting artists “so pirates young and old can come and get their faces transformed.”

Ports of Skull is one of four new Terror-tories that will transform Busch Gardens into a much darker place. France, Italy, Germany and England will be transformed into an over-the-top thematic experience that transports guests to another time and place full of startles and frights. Enter murky waters haunted by swashbuckling pirates in Italy, stroll through London’s East End on the trail of Jack The Ripper or face vampires and underworld creatures in Germany and France.

Purchase a Fall Fun Card and enjoy unlimited admission to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, including Howl-O-Scream, for the price of a one-day admission. Howl-O-Scream opens September 13, and terrifies weekends through October 27. For tickets and more information including shopping, visit www.howloscream.com/va.

For buccaneers 21 and over, Captain Barghbie’s Booty will also offer a select sampling of adult beverages. During the day, guests can still enjoy wine tastings. In the evenings, guests can enjoy a selection of rum-based drinks

Best part of that press release! Busch is certainly going all out with the pirate theme this year, hoping more and more I can get down there in October.

^It all starts on September 13. They used have the Sea Dog Cemetery maze where the Forest of Fun is now, and, frankly, they have nowhere to go but up after two years of the Fear Fair maze in Festa Italia (that one never quite worked). They seem to be beefing up the dining options for HOS this year, too.

Edited by cfc

Looks like we have a replacement for Pirates 4D.

It's supposed to be a theatrical-esque show that focuses on British rock music. Being a big fan of classic rock, I'm very interested to see how this show is next year.

Not sure if this is one of the buses from the 70s, but it's still pretty cool.

20130907_105627.thumb.jpg.8604d7c2867471109e5cb3f23a9d4802.jpg

LONDON ROCKS!