TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

• 3 weeks later...

Does BGW not offer the Quick Queue after Labor Day? I only have one day at the park at the end of September and wanted to purchase it for the day, but there's no option to buy it then. Wasn't sure if it was too early to reserve it, or if it's unavailable at that time altogether...

They're better off just replacing Eurpoe In The Air. An interactive dark ride where riders search for pots of gold and/or leprechauns would be a lot better ride than that simulator.

According to a sign outside the entrance, they're getting the space ready for Howl-o-Scream (some of the HOS decor is already up).

^As for Quick Queue, I'm not sure. They usually cut back to weekend-only operation after Labor Day, and business at the park is usually a bit slow until Howl-o-Scream begins.

Does BGW not offer the Quick Queue after Labor Day? I only have one day at the park at the end of September and wanted to purchase it for the day, but there's no option to buy it then. Wasn't sure if it was too early to reserve it, or if it's unavailable at that time altogether...

My guess would be it's too early, I went in late August two years ago and QQ was not needed even then. Could've rode any of the coasters over and over again with essentially station waits at them all. Obviously it's two years later and in September but I would wait til arriving to see how busy it is before spending the extra money.

The Quick Queue is a different price for Halloween so they probably just haven't updated the website for that time yet. It will be available.

That makes sense to me.

Thanks so much for all the replies! I'll keep my eye on the BGW site.

I'll be going Sept. 27-29 and will do BG Friday and do KD the other two days. Hopefully both parks won't be too crazy... was planning to get QQ/Fast Pass at both places since I haven't been to BGW since Drachen Fire was there, and I've never been to KD. Want to make sure I get on everything! Been dying to get down there since last year!

Ugh, I forgot about Halloween stuff That puts a damper on things...

I'd go earlier in September, but KD is closed for a good portion of the month for private events.

Do any of the BGW rides close to set up for the haunt like FoF at KD does?

^Europe in the Air is already closed, but that's no great loss. Escape from Pompeii will probably run for part of the day, but close early (there's a maze on the lower level).

Had a pretty good day at the park today, with decent wait times, and an overall enjoyable park experience. I arrived at the park at around 11:30 and first rode Loch Ness Monster which only was about a 15 minute wait with two trains running. I just have to say...BGW has either done an excellent job taking care of the ride, or Arrow designed it at their best, because it is one of the smoothest (yet one of the oldest) Arrow loopers that I have ridden. Bravo BGW/Arrow!

Shortly after I walked around a bit and rode Escape from Pompeii, which to me is a fun water ride, but not the best (although the theming is some of the best that I have seen in a water ride). The ride was a walk-on for a good portion of the day, which was surprising considering it was 90 degrees out.

We eventually then rode Apollo's Chariot at around 12:45-ish, which had a 10 minute wait, and was nearly a walk-on shortly afterwards. This ride is definitely my favorite ride in the park and is my favorite B&M coaster. It had some great amount of airtime, and surprisingly had a pop of some powerful airtime on the final drop of the ride. B&M did a nice job with this one.

After Apollo's Chariot we went to the Oktoberfest area to ride Verbolten. It had a 20 minute wait, so I figured that I would go ahead and ride. In my opinion, the theming in the indoor portion of the ride was spectacular and very well done. The ride is definitely the "funnest" ride at BGW, and is definitely a very great ride, with my favorite parts being the launches and the drop section.

After riding Verbolten, I decided to go ride Alpengeist, which is one of the most "unique" inverted coasters that I have been on, with a very original layout. It wasn't too intense, but it was still a pretty thrilling ride, in my opinion.

I then rode Griffon which is probably my second favorite coaster at the park. I love B&M Dive Machines, and the two vertical drops and the two loops were fantastic!

The rest of my day consisted of me re-riding most of the coasters except for LNM, and riding the parks log flume, Le Scoot, which is a pretty decent log flume, and me riding some of the parks flats that they have to offer.

Here are a few pictures of my visit.... And sorry that the picture quality isn't the best..I only had my phone with me to take pictures

987346183_IMG_03401.thumb.JPG.a3405b8ee23b5c32f3ddd8c8eb1da59e.JPG

A nice picture of my favorite ride at the park.

1479556298_IMG_03421.thumb.JPG.f1a70104dc11339ef0e292c16d13ddb6.JPG

Verbolten's drop towards the Rhine.

98823676_IMG_03431.thumb.JPG.c73f6b9babd3a02788c433c9a414df20.JPG

Oh yeah...Guess who wasn't working properly today again?? Go ahead...guess.

792807212_IMG_03511.thumb.JPG.37efde3922b9cb700f6538cbbaf8f1f2.JPG

A picture of Griffon doin' it's thing.

796216334_IMG_03661.thumb.JPG.82c8b28cffbae50032e503f43eaf0a12.JPG

Oh Mach Tower and your broken catch car....shame.

The Goddard Group just posted this drop ride concept that they developed for BGW back in the late 1990s on their Facebook

1013228_10151717174984333_646073883_n.jpg

This week we're going to bring you a series of FIVE AMAZING UNREALIZED ATTRACTIONS that were well into the development process before the plug was pulled for one reason or another.

First up- check out this never-before-seen DROP TOWER concept developed in the late '90's for BUSCH GARDENS WILLIAMSBURG (now Busch Gardens Europe).

Because of the park's height and noise restrictions (pre-Mach Tower), the ride would actually have shot riders DOWN, below ground, into a cavern of FIRE BREATHING DRAGONS!

I really wish this would've been built!

^100 times better than Mach Tower!

No argument there. However, it also would've been 100 times more expensive.

I'd love to see BGW do something along the lines of Mystery Tower at Phantasialand.

^100 times better than Mach Tower!

No argument there. However, it also would've been 100 times more expensive.

I'd love to see BGW do something along the lines of Mystery Tower at Phantasialand.

You're right.

I can't tell if this is being done in the drawing, but how cool would it be if it started above that chamber and dropped down into it like a pit? Like the floors move away from the starting level and it goes up slightly then drops into all the way into the pit, and then launch back out! Just day dreamin' here.

Chuck what do you think they would add for next year?

I can honestly say that I have no idea. BGW has always been pretty savvy about keeping any "big" announcements quiet until they're good and ready (they did have a "leak" before they announced Verbolten, though). The "big addition" this year was the Food and Wine Festival.

We shall see. I'd love to see them come up with something for the old Drachen Fire area.

Edited by cfc

^Agreed. They can do a lot with all that land back there.

So I found out today that I'm going to be visiting Busch Gardens on the 20th of September (Friday), any idea how the crowds will be from the morning to evening?