TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I think that if you're definitely planning to have lunch and dinner in the park, it's worth it. Note that the baby back ribs at the Smokehouse aren't part of the deal and require an extra charge, and the $22 version doesn't include dessert.

And the suspense is over . . . congratulations to the winner!

WINNER ANNOUNCED FOR BUSCH GARDENS’ LANDSCAPING GIVEAWAY

Busch Gardens Landscaping Pros Headed to North Carolina

WILLIAMSBURG (March 25, 2013) – Busch Gardens® landscaping experts are hitting the road to bring the awe-inspiring beauty of the park to North Carolina. Busch Gardens announced Tammy Bennett from Washington, N.C., the winner of the first-ever Busch Gardens’ Landscaping Giveaway. Bennett’s prize is a yard landscaping package that includes consultation services from Busch Gardens’ horticultural professionals, landscaping and gardening supplies and landscaping installation.

“I am so excited and cannot wait for them to get started. Busch Gardens has the most beautiful flowers and gardens. Every time we go, I wish my yard would look like that,” said Bennett after learning she won the landscaping giveaway.

Busch Gardens announced the giveaway in early March via its Facebook page - facebook.com/buschgardens. Entries poured in from the Southern and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. Participants submitted a photo of their home and a story about why they deserved to win the Busch Gardens’ Landscaping Giveaway. After reviewing hundreds of submissions, Busch Gardens narrowed the landscaping giveaway submissions down to 20 finalists. According to Bennett’s submission, she purchased her dream home right after receiving a kidney transplant; her husband was her kidney donor. The Bennett family hoped to fix up their home right after purchasing it, but due to medical and financial hardships they had to put their dream on hold.

“We have been living here 6 1/2 years, this house was in foreclosure and it was a mess. There were trees and bushes growing into the side of our house and into the attic, we had to rip them all down. The lawn had not been mowed in a year, so it was pretty much knee high and mostly weeds. With all the money we spent on the inside of the house, we just never could afford to do the outside or any landscaping projects,” said Bennett.

After announcing the finalists, Busch Gardens invited its Facebook fans to cast their vote for their favorite finalist. Bennett received more than half of the 43,000 votes cast for the giveaway. Later this spring, the Busch Gardens team will visit the Bennett home to install the landscaping.

For 22 consecutive years Busch Gardens has won the “Most Beautiful Park” award from the National Amusement Park Historical Association.

I think the key is to get there early and check the opening times for the various sections of the park--they print them on the map. If Verbolten opens with the park, head there first.

Hey guys, we may be heading to Busch Gardens next week (probably Wednesday or Thrusday) and was wondering a few things:

1. What will the crowds be like (I imagine light but then again you never know)

2. What order should we do the rides in so we can get all the coasters in and the major flats/darkrides?

3. Are there any deals avaible at stores (I remeber one from last year but I dont know if it is still going)?

I have Wednesday free. Would you like to do a meetup? I could give you a tour around the park and you won't have to worry too much about lines/crowds. Speaking of lines/crowds, that's usually dependent on the weather. If it's warm, expect the park to be slammed.

In other news, Mach Tower officially reopened today. I got no rides on it, but definitely saw it running with people on it.

I've heard that Mach Tower has definitely been improved, but still isn't quite "Intamin-quality". At least it will be worth riding now as a thrill (besides the fact that it feels like it will fall apart), rather than a calm observation tower. I'm glad the park noticed the problem and fixed it to the best of their (and Moser) abilities.

Now only if they could do something with the slight rattle on Verbolten.

^What rattle? I mean, when it's cold it has the cutest little rattle, but otherwise it's fine!

I rode it a month after it opened and it rattled quite a bit! I mean it wasn't BRAIN RATTLING, but surprising for a brand new coaster.

Just got back from the park. Two things to report:

1) The salted caramel gelato in Italy is pretty good (they have a slew of other flavors, including double chocolate, cappuccino, and raspberry).

2) Mach Tower's free fall is, indeed, a bit longer.

So, here's my question -

If this whole rumor about Gwazi and its trains becomes true, could we possibly see another racing GCI being built at Busch Gardens Williamsburg? Would they ship all four trains to Williamsburg - and subsequently use all four for something along the lines of Joris en de Draak - or would they just take three, build something along the lines of Wodan at Europa Park and use the last one for parts?

^I'm still not buying it all too much, and I can't really see Busch going with GCI again as I don't think they were all that thrilled with Gwazi. I think there are plenty of parks that would buy those MF trains though, or maybe they can be used for parts for a different manufacturer.

I'm hoping to see a RMC dueling racing coaster!

^My gut feeling tells me that as long as RMC keeps doing what they're doing we won't ever see another Intamin Woodie in the states. This is good and bad. RMC built a bunch of the Intamin woodies and they make the ride that is probably closest to one of them! The Intamin's were a ton of money, so if we can get more of those quality and type of rides now, I'm all for RMC doing it!

If BGW actually ends up getting a woodie, IMHO I think that a non-racing GCI such as Prowler would work much better. I mean, that and Knight Valley's GCI were two of GCI's best, and those were terrain coasters that were rather close to the ground.

It really looks like there's room for this kind of think across the river from Verbolten's main drop.