TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

^I rode it twice during the Passholder ERT this morning. They were late getting it going because of problems the night before, and it went down again (for the day) at about the time the park opened. They hope to have it running again tomorrow.

Like many launched rides, Verbolten is a bit temperamental. I was with Kyle and Company today, and Kyle received a text from a friend of his who had just experienced his first Volcano rollback at KD.

On a more upbeat note, Mach Tower is back after its extended downtime last week and has been "rock solid," according to the crew.

Edited by cfc

I swear Verbolten is a new ride it is going to have it's aches and pains. If I remember correctly Big Bad Wolf went thru the same startup pains as well. Yea I rode it the first year it opened but never got to ride it the last year but then I was out on the road.

I've actually been surprised by the lack of downtime on Verbolten. With all that's involved with that ride there are infinite points of failure, but it opened on schedule and hasn't really been down all that much for your average new ride. I've been able to take multiple rides every time i've been to the park since it opened.

^I was at the park with some friends yeasterday, and while it was a bit of a bummer that Verbolten was down, we still enjoyed ourselves--along with a nice big lunch at the Festhaus.

Just got back from the park and Verbolten AND Mach Tower down all day!! No facebook post, no web page post. just a sheet of paper saying Verbolten closed AFTER you pay for parking. I would not care so much but my parents and my wife made the trip out today to ride it for the first time.

Mach tower is the biggest piece of crap. I have been about 8 times since it opened in LATE August last year and it has been down all day 5 out of 8 times.

If a new ride is down thats fine, but the least you can do is the absolute best to inform your customers.

Jeff

Just remember that Dragster had a LOT more downtime when it was brand new in the same time period since Verbolten first opened.

The roast turkey sandwich at Festhaus is very good but my favorite is the chicken parmagian and spaghetti at Ristorante della Piazza. Actually you can't go wrong at any of the main eateries in the park.

I just spent a few minutes watching the BGW web cam focused on Verbolten's river drop. I can't believe how quickly the trains come by. Even without the yellow train, this thing has to be a capacity monster. I'd say they were coming by at least every minute. There is a noticeable gap after all four colors cycle before the first comes back again that should be nicely filled when the yellow train is put into operation. Also, what a great web cam. It's clear, fluid and has sound. Forget refreshing the page constantly!

I remember Questar. I went to the park when I was probably 7 or 8 (wouldn't even ride Loch Ness) and it scared the s**t out of me. I remember standing on lights or something before the ride? Then the whole thing was shaking like hell. I've come a long way since then. My parents ribbed me for crying for years.

Edited by willh51

Verbolten was dead the day of my visit a couple of weeks back (having shut down at 6pm the night before). Hey ho. New ride. These things happen. Good excuse to head back in a few years time. Had a great day anyway (DarKastle being the highlight). Europe in the Air isn't a patch on Corkscrew Hill though!

Looks like BGW has another addition to its menagerie this year.

BUSCH GARDENS ADOPTS ORPHANED WOLF PUP

WILLIAMSBURG, VA (June 28, 2012) – An orphaned Gray wolf pup found wandering along the side of a road in central Idaho now has a new home at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia. Idaho state officials transported the 8-week-old male by airplane to the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport on June 20. A team of wolf experts from Busch Gardens met the plane at the airport and took custody of the pup.

Nicknamed “Boise” by the park’s zoological team, the pup is slowly being introduced to his new pack mates. He eventually will be part of the park’s animal ambassador team that helps teach the important role wolves play in the wild. Boise will continue to acclimate to his pack mates and will eventually be introduced to park guests once the zoological team determines he is ready.

Boise’s journey starts near the resort town of Ketchum, Idaho. The orphaned wolf was found in May by a group of campers who mistakenly believed he was a lost or abandoned domestic puppy. The campers contacted a local veterinarian who, in turn, contacted Idaho Fish and Game. State officials, along with a local zoo, assumed the care of the pup and confirmed via DNA testing that the pup was a Gray wolf. After unsuccessful attempts to locate the pup’s pack, Idaho officials began looking for a suitable home for the rescued animal.

Idaho Fish and Game along with the host zoo, Zoo Boise, selected Busch Gardens Virginia as Boise’s new home based on the park’s extensive experience with wolf training, husbandry and education programs. The Williamsburg theme park is home to 10 wolves split into three packs, including two 6-week-old pups the park recently acquired from a private breeder in Montana.

“Because of our 12-year experience with wolves and the fact that we already had two wolf pups at the park played a major role in the decision by Idaho state officials to choose Busch Gardens for the pup’s new home,” said Jay Tacey, zoological manager for Busch Gardens.

Tacey said Boise immediately took to his new pack, which consists of the two 6-week old pups and a German short-haired pointer named Mia who is serving as their surrogate mother.

“The young pack mates are getting along and adjusting very well,” Tacey said. “They are playing and discovering their new home.”

Eventually Boise and the two yet-to-be-named pups will be introduced to one of Busch Gardens’ three mature wolf packs. Until then, Mia, the surrogate mother, has taken on the role of pack leader and is ensuring the pups remain submissive until they are transitioned into the larger pack with an already established pack hierarchy.

Once integrated into the pack, Boise and his young pack mates will help teach the public about the important role wolves and other apex predators play in the wild. Daily stage productions and interactive training opportunities let Busch Gardens’ guests experience the power and agility of these animals while they learn about the company’s wildlife conservation efforts and ways they can help.

Several public and private organizations in Virginia and Idaho worked together over the past several weeks to ensure Boise found a good home.

“Boise has been given a second chance at life thanks to the leadership and support of Idaho Fish and Game, Zoo Boise and the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries,” Tacey said.

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment inspires people to celebrate, connect, and care for the natural world through the power of entertainment. The company owns and operates 10 parks across the United States, as well as the newly formed SeaWorld Pictures division. The parks play host to 23 million guests a year and provide lasting memories through up-close animal encounters, world-class shows and rides, and high-quality themed attractions. Locations include SeaWorld parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio; Busch Gardens parks in Tampa, Fla. and Williamsburg, Va.; Discovery Cove and Aquatica in Orlando; Sesame Place near Philadelphia, Pa.; and water parks Adventure Island in Tampa and Water Country USA in Williamsburg.

A global leader in animal care and conservation, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment cares for more than 60,000 animals including 200 endangered or threatened species. This commitment extends to animals around the world: The company has contributed more than $50 million to conservation, wildlife rescue and environmental stewardship initiatives and operates one of the world’s most respected animal rescue and rehabilitation programs. SeaWorld has rescued more than 20,000 orphaned, injured or ill animals over four decades.

Looks like a banner year of new animals at the park. A Clydesdale colt named Aidan was born this year, and they have a new hawk over in New France, too.

79281853_BGWWolfCub.jpg.d42bc94659b629e151d45375b04ed6fd.jpg

Hi Boise.

Edited by cfc

Went over to the park for the last day of Verbolten Passholder ERT--in a shocking development, Verbolten was down but Mach Tower was running. One of the attendants mentioned that someone from Zierer was here to further troubleshoot Verbolten. They gave all the Passholders waiting there Verbolten one-time exit passes, which can be used anytime during the rest of the season.

A big storm blew through Williamsburg last night, and a large tree went down in Da Vinci's Garden; fortunately, it doesn't appear to have damaged anything, but that section was closed until the tree can be cut up and hauled away. (A crew was working on it, so I imagine the section of the park will be up and running later today, if it isn't aleady.)

If there is one thing that Busch Gardens Williamsburg needs to focus less on, it's the animals and wildlife side shows. Who really cares for it? I think we can all agree that it is largely a waste of time and especially money that could be used as CASH to upgrade the park and invest in new rides.

^ Now, come on. Think about this little situation: The management team at Busch has a meeting one afternoon and decide to make some changes to the place.

These are the options:

1) Do away with all the rides.

or

2) Do away with all the animal type things.

In a moment of inspiration the top team choose to put it to an online public internet voting system.

2 weeks pass....The Results!!

By 99.999% majority vote the winner is "We are keepin the rides!"

Who would kid themselves to think that this situation isn't exactly how it would play out?

P.S. .001% margin of error!!

Edited by grimby