TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

Speaking of themes, the Corporate Creative Director for Sea World, Brian, was telling us that the themes can be changed and they are currently working on a different theme for Howl-O-Scream that will offer a few, "unique surprises." That will be really cool! (His team developed the three themes for Verbolten.)

I don't recall this being mentioned yesterday--sounds like an excellent idea.

Well I'd let this Gunter explore my black forest.

Looks like a great ride and I can't wait to try it out at East Coast Bash (As well as my first time to this Busch Gardens!)

Id have to agree

Can't wait to check out the ride and have another visit to the park with TPR at East Coast Bash!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one surprised by how Gunter looked in person, don't get me wrong I think he's an absolute hunk so I'm not really complaining.

Well I'd let this Gunter explore my black forest.

^Agreed

All things about Gunter aside hopefully I can get out to BGW and ride this thing, it's been YEARS since I've been to the park so it would be a blast to see all the new rides.

Thanks for the PTR Chuck!

Sadly, I believe that Gerta and Gunter were only around for the media events. I'd like to see them as long-term face characters at the park, too.

Thinking of hitting the park tomorrow, Saturday. Someone mentioned a few pages back that they think the crowds will be huge. I've done a bit of crowd research though and it seems mid-may is a decent time for BGW. I know we as coaster enthusiasts obviously know about the Verbolten opening but does the general public really know and plan their trip to the park based on that?

Alternative would be hitting Kings Dominion or Carowinds tomorrow since we're in Raleigh and have Cedar Fair platinum passes. Thoughts?

--Justin

^Short answer, yes. It's going to be crowded. I went on the Friday that Griffon opened, expecting it to be less crowded because it was a weekday - ended up waiting two hours for the brand new ride. Now, it sounds like Verbolten's line moves pretty quick, but the GP does know about the ride opening and they will be there.

It seems to me the ride hits a slow pace in the building after the launch, kinda killing the momentum of the ride. I think the idea was great to use the building as a prop, but I even found myself thinking "how long are they gonna meander in the building before the drop actually happens?"

The ride does look great though, I love the concept and wide variety of elements.

Nice job, Chuck. Verbolten looks like the perfect-fit for BGW, and really shows that Disney- and others - have some serious competition for themed attractions.

And is it me, or do Gunter and Gerta look like extras from the adult film industry???

Nice job, Chuck. Verbolten looks like the perfect-fit for BGW, and really shows that Disney- and others - have some serious competition for themed attractions.

And is it me, or do Gunter and Gerta look like extras from the adult film industry???

If so it will will allow all of us who are drooling over Gunter an easier oppertunity

It seems to me the ride hits a slow pace in the building after the launch, kinda killing the momentum of the ride. I think the idea was great to use the building as a prop, but I even found myself thinking "how long are they gonna meander in the building before the drop actually happens?"

I feel that way about the videos we've been shown as well - after the helix, it starts to just crawl along until the drop finally comes. But I imagine that there are sounds and sights that we can't pick up on from just a reverse-POV, and that they keep you occupied waiting to drop. Assuming that's the case, it's similar to any other indoor ride, like Revenge of the Mummy's initial ride-through or even just sitting at a standstill looking at the scarab wall, before the action picks up again.

Seriously can't wait to ride this (and all the rest of the rides there) next Friday!

Just got back from opening day.

The opening this morning was unreal. The line filled the queue and went down the bridge to Italy when the ride opened this morning. The wait for most of the day was around 1 hour. The shortest I saw was about 45 mins but it quickly caught up. I got 3 rides in on it today, great as usual.

Good luck tomorrow for whoever is going.

Edited by KDcoasterMAN

^I ambled over to the park after work tonight. Verbolten's queue was full with just a bit of spillover even with Mach Tower around 6:00 pm. The wait time was about 40 minutes, thanks to four-train ops and that dual station. The line just kept moving like the line for Expedition: Everest.

EDIT: Just changed "five" to "four"--error on my part.

Edited by cfc

Yeah, I can easily wait an hour for a ride if the line is constantly moving. Sounds promising, if they've got their system working out so well already!

It is lines like those that just make you cringe when you see an hour wait for what should be half, if not less, of that...

And the Youtube comments on the video make me laugh because it is sad that people cannot fathom that a PoV of this ride would kill a lot of the fun of it. That and you'd need 3 to actually get the full effect...

^The ride has three "storylines," which use different light and sound effects in the building (a storm, a pack of wolves, and the "Spirit of the Forest"). When I described it to my Dad, he actually summed it up like this: "Sounds like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride on steroids." That's not a bad analogy. They use high-tech sound, combined with good, old-fashioned dark ride effects in the show building.

Edited by cfc

Loved you commentary on the POV Chuck, thanks for you're amazing coverage of this project from day 1, It's been a lot of fun to follow from demolition of BBW to opening day!

This attraction looks fantastic, it might not be a top 10 coaster for most enthusiasts but looks like an amazing ride for most guests! Well done Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Sea World Parks and Entertainment !

After watching the pov, I'd like to say how much a difference some solid theming makes. Verbolten is dwarfed by many of the other attractions that opened this year, but it seems enthusiasts are most excited about it! It's crazy to think that a Zierer family coaster can generate as much or more hype than a B&M hyper or giga. I can't wait to ride this thing!