TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I went again this morning and got 2 more rides in. They had some serious downtime at noon for a bit over an hour. Looks like they've gotten more of the effects working properly though. Not sure if it was me or not but the special effect lighting seemed dimmer today.

Someone on YouTube has posted a front-seat POV of Verbolten (wolf version) and claimed that the park gave them permission to do so. According to his YouTube name he works with the park and the ride ops obviously see him filming so it could be true. I hope one of the mods check it out as I don't want to post it and risk getting in trouble on here if he is actually lying.

^He pretty much spends the last half of that video explaining why it is legal. But I really don't want to take the chance it's not.

BTW, for those who have ridden it, how dark is it inside. I.E. can you see some of the other stuff in the building or is it truly pitch black.

I hope one of the mods check it out as I don't want to post it and risk getting in trouble on here if he is actually lying.

Wise choice.

I do recall reading that Busch might allow strapped on Gopro cameras with advance permission, though. Maybe Robb can shed some light on this.

Edited by cfc

About that person who took a "legal" POV of Verbolten, I looked at his videos and he has been posting a lot of BGW videos. Though, on one of the videos I saw this:

Footage courtesy of Theme Park Review

Now, I don't think he asked permission to use that.

Anyways, from watching that POV, the dark ride portion didn't have as much theming that I thought it would be and it looks kind of cheap.

ADMIN EDIT - LINK REMOVED!

Going to remove the link for now. I have contacted the park to ask them if this was in fact an approved video. If they respond saying the video is approved, I will put the link back up.

Edited by robbalvey

Here's another on-ride taken today

Yeah that's the one I was referring to.

And yes, the big competition of getting the first POV always happens when a new coaster opens. When the park or major website (like TPR) doesn't post a POV, the first "illegal" ones always get a ton of views!

^So you think that video is legal. That solves that mystery (I think).

Anyways I've seen video of Gerta but not Gunter. Does he make an appearance somewhere in the que?

Gunter is no where to be seen.... ...... His office is empty with his experiments and kameras looking into the depths of the forest.

Anyways, from watching that POV, the dark ride portion didn't have as much theming that I thought it would be and it looks kind of cheap.

The POVs don't capture half of what you see inside... And it's way more impressive in person. Not as impressive as I was expecting, but still quite impressive.

Edited by Pun_Machine

All these silly "bragging rights" early POVs are as annoying as someone who goes around spoiling the ending of a movie.

And it's not even very good, shaky video, lame commentary. At least when Robb does one the video is very good and when he does comment it's actully interesting and entertaining. So when does the official TPR POV get posted? I think that is the only one worth seeing.

The POVs don't capture half of what you see inside... And it's way mor impressive in person. Not as impressive as I was expecting, but still quite impressive.

POV's on coasters (be it indoor coaster or otherwise) don't spoil that much to me, because it can never create the visceral experience of actually riding.

And Dark Coaster/Ride videos are usually too dark to clearly show whats going on....

The POVs don't capture half of what you see inside... And it's way mor impressive in person. Not as impressive as I was expecting, but still quite impressive.

I agree 100%. The ride requires the rider to look at things flying past him on all sides.

EDIT: I've been looking at photos that I've taken as far back as 2009/2010 and finding the changes to the Oktoberfest area are astounding, not only did Busch add too thrilling rides in Mach Tower and Verbolten, the additional structures and the Beer and Pretzel shop, were pretty crucial to the overall transformation. The pathways are significantly wider, and for good reason. With the rumors of a possible Festhaus renovation and a possible Germany train station, the area is definitely going to need it.

Edited by KDcoasterMAN

^Agreed. Most POVs can't really capture all the lighting effects, or give you the full feeling of how sound is used to tell the story. Look at the second half of Mummy. Most of what they use there consists of painted flats and cutouts.

Sometimes, the best effects are the simplest.

Edited by cfc

Gunter is no where to be seen.... ...... His office is empty with his experiments and kameras looking into the depths of the forest.

If you look closely at the monitors in the station there's one labeled "Guntercam" and it's sort of a "Blair Witch" first person shot of someone wandering around, you can see their feet from time to time. I guess Gunter is currently out wandering in the Black Forest.

If you look closely at the monitors in the station there's one labeled "Guntercam" and it's sort of a "Blair Witch" first person shot of someone wandering around, you can see their feet from time to time. I guess Gunter is currently out wandering in the Black Forest.

Good find! I guess your right Chuck, they may make an appearance at the media day.

^I'm referring to the "Blogger Media Day," which is Thursday, May 17 in the morning. I'll be there for Theme Park Review.

Edited by cfc