TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

Are there only 3 storage tracks ...or are the other 2 in the area behind the station? It looked like it was themed to look like a garage in the area behind the station but when I look closely, I think I see 2 more storage tracks.

This doesn't surprise me for a 5 train ride. They will likely park one in the loading station block, one on the unloading station block and the remaining three on the storage tracks when it's not in operation. The space behind the loading station is likely for maintenance.

other than being the largest investment in Busch Gardens history was an actual number ever attached to this project? I was curious how it compared to something like Everest or even Wild Eagle or another major coasters at a seasonal park.

$50 million was thrown around a few months ago, which is a pretty significant amount for a park like BGW. You could buy two giga coasters with that much money. Or pay for Everest's animatronic Yeti

Thanks for the trip reports and photos! Great stuff, i've been looking forward to this since you announced you were going. I'm getting really pumped up to ride this thing, summer can't come soon enough.

I was comparing the leaked plans to the latest photos to get an idea of what to expect from the final ride. I noticed something in the show building that i hadn't seen before. It looks like there's going to be some theming element on the floor in the center of the helix... It's labeled 'vortex' and looks like swirling branches... Looks like that part of the ride is going to be a pretty intense experience. There's also something in that area called the 'moon box.' Any ideas what that might be?

They were very coy on specifics about the thematic elements in the building. But what you're saying would jibe with the hints they've dropped in the animated videos the park has released.

I'm hoping there's something involving a Big Bad Wolf and gnomes, myself.

The center’s rental cars keep disappearing, and the passengers are never seen again. Gunter covers this up by collecting the missing motorists’ personal effects from their crushed, vine-entangled cars, which he hides amid the clutter of his office and garage.

His main assets keep disappearing. His clients go missing, with next of kin and local authorities apparently uninterested. And yet somehow he continues to have a fleet of 1960's Italian roadsters in his garage with an unending line of interested customers? I seriously need to invest in this business.

^^^It sounds like your dream gig, Scott. You get to maintain a fleet of amazing vintage sports cars, and annoying customers are never seen again!

Edited by cfc

Thanks for the trip reports and photos! Great stuff, i've been looking forward to this since you announced you were going. I'm getting really pumped up to ride this thing, summer can't come soon enough.

I was comparing the leaked plans to the latest photos to get an idea of what to expect from the final ride. I noticed something in the show building that i hadn't seen before. It looks like there's going to be some theming element on the floor in the center of the helix... It's labeled 'vortex' and looks like swirling branches... Looks like that part of the ride is going to be a pretty intense experience. There's also something in that area called the 'moon box.' Any ideas what that might be?

They were very coy on specifics about the thematic elements in the building. But what you're saying would jibe with the hints they've dropped in the animated videos the park has released.

I'm hoping there's something involving a Big Bad Wolf and gnomes, myself.

I'm hoping that maybe they'll have a wolf's howl in the background during that section, that would be such an amazing tribute!

^At least one of the trains' "license plates" appears to say "wolf crossing," I understand. This question came up during the tour, as well, and the answer was "there may be some more BBW tributes."

other than being the largest investment in Busch Gardens history was an actual number ever attached to this project? I was curious how it compared to something like Everest or even Wild Eagle or another major coasters at a seasonal park.

$50 million was thrown around a few months ago, which is a pretty significant amount for a park like BGW. You could buy two giga coasters with that much money. Or pay for Everest's animatronic Yeti

$50 million seems somewhat accurate based solely off of observations. Since the track length is under 3000 feet and the height is under 100 feet i would think that a 50 million dollar price tag probably goes a LONG way in the themeing department. I'm expecting this to be an incredible overall experience.

It all begins in a quaint Bavarian travel center run by a rather eccentric pair of siblings: Gerta and Gunter Schwartzwald. Gerta is the actual “brains” of the business, which also includes a gift shop and the second-floor Black Forest Inn. As children, Gerta and Gunter were fascinated with the dark Black Forest, and often explored its mysterious depths—despite their parents’ warnings. In fact, samplings from the forest that Gerta planted in the travel center’s courtyard are creeping over the building’s walls and poking through its windows.

Gunter, now 38 years old, remains obsessed with the Black Forest and the dark forces at work there. But 40-year-old Gerta has become so paranoid about the place that she often scares their customers away.

And she has good reason. The center’s rental cars keep disappearing, and the passengers are never seen again. Gunter covers this up by collecting the missing motorists’ personal effects from their crushed, vine-entangled cars, which he hides amid the clutter of his office and garage. He installed video cameras in the forest in strategic places, the better to watch the dark forces of the woods at work.

I much prefer Dollywood's once upon a time there was an eagle that lived near the smokey mountains. Far more compelling and rich.

This could very well end up being one of the most beautiful roller coasters in the country once the trees start growing around it.

It all begins in a quaint Bavarian travel center run by a rather eccentric pair of siblings: Gerta and Gunter Schwartzwald. Gerta is the actual “brains” of the business, which also includes a gift shop and the second-floor Black Forest Inn. As children, Gerta and Gunter were fascinated with the dark Black Forest, and often explored its mysterious depths—despite their parents’ warnings. In fact, samplings from the forest that Gerta planted in the travel center’s courtyard are creeping over the building’s walls and poking through its windows.

Gunter, now 38 years old, remains obsessed with the Black Forest and the dark forces at work there. But 40-year-old Gerta has become so paranoid about the place that she often scares their customers away.

And she has good reason. The center’s rental cars keep disappearing, and the passengers are never seen again. Gunter covers this up by collecting the missing motorists’ personal effects from their crushed, vine-entangled cars, which he hides amid the clutter of his office and garage. He installed video cameras in the forest in strategic places, the better to watch the dark forces of the woods at work.

I much prefer Dollywood's once upon a time there was an eagle that lived near the smokey mountains. Far more compelling and rich.

Allow me to demonstrate something.

Questions? To each his or her own. I think they're both going to be very good or great rides.

So much for the "family" part of this ride! Between the very creepy theming and exciting almost-extreme elements I'm not so sure I'd say this is a more calm ride than LNM and maybe even Apollo's Chariot (sorry B&M hyper fans). From a coaster enthusiast standpoint, this makes me thrilled but I can imagine kids being terrified of this ride already. The theming of the queue (creepy), the big indoor building (fear of the unknown), launches (a first for BGW & probably a lot of guests), that rumor that "the track drops down!" (the free-fall), and then the big final drop that families will see while walking to Oktoberfest just seems like its going to cause concern in those who think the park is missing a "family" coaster since the Wolf left.

I'm not complaining, I was just stating that I'm in shock as I was expecting more of a "Backlot Stunt Coaster" family ride, not a scarier version of Expedition Everest.

Anyways, thank you both for your reports! I can't wait until this thing opens up!

Please tell me that's not a serious post. Big Bad Wolf had almost the exact same drop and it was very much a family coaster. Also, since when does theming effect how family oriented the ride is? Does that mean Darkastle isn't a family ride since it has "very creepy theming"? The ride is marketed as an "extreme family coaster", just like Cheetah Hunt, so of course it will be intense. I'm sorry if I came off like an @$$hole, but this post just annoyed me.

^This isn't about Darkastle. This is about Verbolten. He said Verbolten wasn't a family ride because of the theming and intense elements. I was simply pointing out that there are family rides that have the same stuff Verbolten does, and it definately is a family ride.