TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

^ The QR code now takes you to the video that is posted right above your post.

I just got back from the park and I will say they have done a wonderful job decorating the place like they usually do. Pompeii is the highlight of the event.

On Verbolten, they have almost finished putting up the wall on the side viewable from guests so by next week you will no longer be able to see the track inside the building. Pictures below:

1.jpg.ab4553ea78b16890b942711a3ddcbb5f.jpg

2.jpg.416cca1fe623e2d2eeb41bdb35c8f913.jpg

3.jpg.2b0ba226e95a12933f298ab43345208d.jpg

4.jpg.aaa87db9a2b09ea0b589706915260069.jpg

5.jpg.46b1df0bb392d6fcf18edc4c4f3a603d.jpg

6.jpg.2519e567998cf0bc606b86e65cadadb4.jpg

^It ran down the hill behind the old Big Bad Wolf station. They to shut it down and tear some of it out for the construction, of course.

Edited by cfc

Second to last picture- What are those?

those look like concrete footers for the coaster, and some supports

Agreed on the Footers. But those don't look like supports to me.

Well I'm wondering about the supports. Could it be that they were placed there to prevent erosion or something?

^^ Thats a pretty strange... thing. Is it track?

That's what I thought it was at first.... But the only black track is in the building (supposedly) and it is a squarish track segment - not flat or rectangular like we've seen. I think it's just a piece of equipment for the ride installation.

^^ Thats a pretty strange... thing. Is it track?

That's what I thought it was at first.... But the only black track is in the building (supposedly) and it is a squarish track segment - not flat or rectangular like we've seen. I think it's just a piece of equipment for the ride installation.

Pile driving rig. those steel tubes in the previous pics are driven into the ground - you can tell by looking at the numbers marked on them.

Yeah, I was wondering what those things were, I was walking out of work the other night and saw them (by the way, you know you work there late when there isn't any music playing anymore.)there. I thought they were peculiar. Now I understand what the are doing. They are preparing the area for supports and track building. I think it would actually be kind of funny if they used those to put up a big black tarp so we couldn't see the outside track. Talk about secrecy .

Anyways, I think park expected attendance for Fridays is 6K. It is sad they don't expect more and the first Friday was the fastest Christmas Town reached capacity. The second Friday was a bit calm than the first Saturday but busier than that first Sunday. The Maximum Capacity for Christmas Town is like 18K where as during the normal season it is 36K. Big difference there. I wonder why?

Also, I am planning on visiting Christmas Eve, and since it will be my only time going this year, I want the ultimate Christmas Town experience! Pictures and all so look forward to that . That is unless my plans are some how ruined but they shouldn't .

Anyways, I think park expected attendance for Fridays is 6K. It is sad they don't expect more and the first Friday was the fastest Christmas Town reached capacity. The second Friday was a bit calm than the first Saturday but busier than that first Sunday. The Maximum Capacity for Christmas Town is like 18K where as during the normal season it is 36K.

I feel like this is the beginning of a math word problem

Had a nice time at Christmas Town last night. People used to joke about the penguin exhibit, but little kids love those freakin' birds. One of my office buddies (Carola) was babysitting a two-and-a-half-year-old boy for a friend who's at a conference in DC, so we took took him with us. He loved two things to death: the carousel and the penguins ("More penguins! More penguins!"). The roast beef dinner and egg nog cheesecake at the Squires Grille were pretty good, too, but I would rank the holiday cheesecake offerings in this order: pumpkin, gingerbread, egg nog.

Fortunately, there was a really light crowd (although the skyride drew a huge line later in the evening). I think the Grand Illumination in Colonial Williamsburg siphoned off a lot of people.

Edited by cfc

. The Maximum Capacity for Christmas Town is like 18K where as during the normal season it is 36K. Big difference there. I wonder why?

Can you access the entire park during Christmas Town? If part of the park is roped off than the maximum capacity would be lower.

^Festa Italia, Forest of Fun, and Land of the Dragons are closed, and the only coaster open is Alpengeist. So, I imagine it's an issue of reduced staffing and the desire to keep the park from getting slammed over the holidays (the line for the freakin' penguins can get ridiculous on busy nights).

I was being a bit sarcastic with that question But, actually if you think of all the places guests can't go during Christmas Town, it seems to be a lot. Here is what I come up with:

Whole Areas Closed:

- Festa Italia

- Sesame Street: Forest of Fun

- Land of Dragons

- Loch Ness Monster Area

- Floating Bridge

- Heart Attack Hill

- Griffon Area

- Jack Hanna's Wild Reserve (except main path)

Ride Queues Closed:

- Loch Ness Monster

- Griffon

- France Sky Ride

- Log Flume

- Apollo's Chariot

- Festa Train Station

- Germany Sky Ride

- Pompeii

- Curse of DarKastle

Anybody think of any thing else? Here is the math problem During the regular operating season Busch Gardens Williamsburg allows 36K people in their park. If the park lays on approximately 21 acres or 920,847 square feet of 'developed' land, with the above mentioned closed areas, what would be the new limit of people they would allow in the park?

Here is what I am thinking:

Regular Season

Max. Capacity (MC) = 36K

Max. Space (MS) = 920,847 sq. ft.

Person(s) per sq. ft. (P) = ???

MS / MC = P

920,947 / 36,000 = 25.58

25.58 person(s) per sq. ft.

Christmas Town

Max. Capacity (MC) = ???

Max. Space (MS) = ???

Person(s) per sq. ft. (P) = 25.58

MS / MC = P

MS * P = MC

Here is the trick! What is the space during Christmas Town?