TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I forget where I heard that rumor. It might have actually been on this thread. Someone posted a picture of the transition after the drop and said," This may be the reason the ride was so unique, but in the end, was its downfall." It might have been on BGW fans, but I don't remember. They also said there was rumor that it had to be welded every week.

^You might have been thinking about this post I made awhile back:

BBW has always been a bit of a maintenance nightmare from what I understand. One of my coworkers had a son who worked there as a tech a few years back. One day, this coworker mentioned to me that no one could make her ride the Big Bad Wolf because her son had to "weld it back together" each night.

Take that for what it's worth, folks.

I'll still miss it, but nothing lasts forever.

She didn't specify any particular part of the ride that her son had to weld together.

No, I think that is nearly impossible.

Why is it nearly impossible?

I don't think they would waste that much money on that. If that was true the ride would've been down a while ago

If a ride did need welding each week, how do you know much money would spent on this process? How do you know spending would be exorbitant? Isn't it possbile that there were certain problem areas where welding became routine. I'm not saying it is fact or not, just that it is not impossible.

I don't find it hard to believe at all that BBW was requiring some re-enforcement after that many years of service. Lagoon wouldn't have half the coasters they have if they weren't re-enforcing parts! Jet Star 2 at Lagoon is Welded on almost Daily during the Operating Season and that's been going on for more than a Decade, even after Lagoon Refurbished it in 2004/2005.

^Time will tell. I'm quite intrigued with what I've seen and heard about Verbolten so far. I'm sure the park will be teasing us with more details as the year grinds on.

As for me, I'm looking forward to Christmas Town this year--should be a great view of all the lights from the top of Mach Tower.

^I was going to mention that I thought it might be 6.022x10^23 times better...

The funny thing is is that I just learned Mole's in chemistry today.... Weird! Nonetheless, I do think Verbolten will be much better than BBW was. I never liked the feeling of the back of the train trying to catch up to the front of the train the whole ride.

^

- Hit all the rides early. Do rerides/see shows later (you may want to opt for the fastpass if it gets too busy or if you wanna get water rides in)

- Water rides get very long lines.

- Oktoberfest is gonna be crowded because of Mach Tower and Verbolten. Make those a priority if you can.

- Loch Ness Monster is a great warmup to the bigger rides.

- Griffon in front (or back), Alpengeist in front, Apollo in back, and Loch Ness Monster in the middle (a bit toward the back)

- Best spots to view fireworks (Mach Tower, Apollo's Chariot, Waveswinger , parking lot, area around Festhaus, Italy bridge, Griffon area).

- Discounts can be found in local supermarkets (Farm Fresh has coupons and bags with discounts on the back) as well as fast food joints surrounding the park. I believe there are also discounts on admission if you bring marked soda cans).