TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

As BGW is my home park....

I'm totally stoked for this coaster! I expect it to be a little more thrilling than BLSC, but not a total thrill machine. I do believe it will be better than Th13teen though. This coaster will add to this collection most definitely!

BTW, can anyone take the "leaked" designs and come up with a Virtual POV via NL?

EDIT: Got bored and made a Screen Saver.

Screen1.thumb.jpeg.6309b8917ed1eb253cc0b41d871e994b.jpeg

So far this park has a great hyper, a massive dive machine, a monstrous invert, and a great classic Arrow looper. How can anybody be upset that this attraction won't be more exciting when you have such a lineup already in existence at this park? After all, it's replacing what was the park's one true family coaster so why should it be massive? The park will eventually get another thrill machine but this is filling a void that such a large ride couldn't fill.

I agree with everybody else that it would have been nice to see more of what's going on but it's good to have a little bit more clarity now. As for the long ride time, keep in mind that this probably includes the time spent holding for launches and whatnot. In addition, the show building could consume quite a bit of time as well by possibly slowing and completely stopping the train. What we have here appears to be a launched version of Alton Towers' last investment so how could it possibly be bad? In addition, it looks to have a few new tricks up its sleeve thanks to the leaked images.

I'm wondering if this might have an initial section that is gravity powered from the station level, somewhat like the first section of BBW except without the lift, making use of the deep excavation. This would increase duration and allow more variety and interesting pacing. I suggested this somewhere in view of BBW and being opposite of I305. Launching (delayed, double, or both) allows layouts such as BBW's and Loch Ness without the second lift destroying the pacing of the ride.

The 2 launches are very promising because Flight of Fear and others allow a few seconds of complete craziness off of 50-55 MPH launch or drop speeds, but inevitably most coasters have a tapering pacing over much of the ride. The 2nd launch can be after losing much of the energy of the 1st so is potentially twice the ride. However, in view of the length there is likely braking before the 2nd launch ala BLSR. Also the 2nd launch is probably concerned mainly with reaching the top of the final drop.

I totally understand the need for this and look forward to riding it, but am not overwhelmed. 5 trains@16 seats ea., so it should be practical to get on it by late summer or a year from now.

I'm wondering if this might have an initial section that is gravity powered from the station level, somewhat like the first section of BBW except without the lift, making use of the deep excavation. This would increase duration and allow more variety and interesting pacing.

From what I understand, it's a gravity-powered ride to the event building, then a launch into the event building, then a launch out of the event building.

^kings island has drift capable trains that never seemed to work properly so the bolted the cars in place. If you study the trains carefully you can see how it is designed to drift. The train built after the originals like at CW are static cassis and were never built to drift due to the failed attempt before.

Which coaster?

Don't people realize that this is a family coaster. Just like Cheetah Hunt is. I see a lot of confused GP on the Facebook page and I can see people complaining about it here in the future...

This.

And the coaster it is replacing was more or less a family coaster. I'm kind of glad they went in this direction, considering their last three major coasters were extreme thrill rides. By no means do I believe thrill seekers will not enjoy this ride however. And the uniqueness of it! Zierer launch coaster!

I think this LOOKS like a perfect addition so far. I still think BGE is a great park...maybe it's not as good as it used to be after taking out BBW, Brewmasters Club, and other cool A-B things, but times change and parks evolve. I think this park is in much better hands than many other parks whose ownership has changed hands recently.

No I'm not complaining again. I've gotten to like Verbolten much more than I did 24 hours ago . But I dunno, I'm just asking. After all it is the "Black Forest" and it is "Forbidden". And the leaked event building plan has a lot of stuff that could (possibly) frighten a young kid. But then again the plans are leaked (could be fake), and if they were real BGW could always change the plans.

Edited by Schotcher

I dont really like the idea of gravity driven until the event building. I think a launch from the station would be more logical, and it would make it more fun

The thing is, if Verbolten's station is at the same height Big Bad Wolf's station was, then it will be able to pick up decent speed right from the start, because it can drop down and get close to the ground. Big Bad Wolf sort of meandered because it couldn't drop very far or else the alignment rods on the bottoms of the cars would hit the ground.

Edited by A.J.

EDIT: Proof that it's gravity powered until the straightaway to the event building; If you watch the announcement, the guy (dunno who he is) when announcing Verbolten says "You're going to take a right turn, and all of a sudden the gas pedals gonna hit."

You leave the station, turn left go straight a bit, and then turn right, and ahead of you is the event building.

Edited by Schotcher

I heard about this at lunch during DSB- and was -thrilled- over the reveal; granted, it's a bit anti-climatic after the blueprints/etc. were leaked a few months ago. Overall, I think this is a perfect addition to BGW, and a real chance for Zierer to segue into the large coaster market. Kudos to Zierer for that, and congratulations go all around to Busch Gardens on their new baby!