TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

OK this is my Classics nerd coming out, but Apollo is not the Roman god of the sun, nor is he the Greek god of the sun. Helios is the Greek god of the sun, and Sol is his Roman counterpart. Apollo is the god of prophecy and music. In later Greek mythology Apollo became conflated with Helios, as his sister, Artemis became associated with Selene (the moon). The actual myth involves Helios and his son, Phaethon. Apollo has nothing to do with it...

Alright back on topic.

^Actually, he was a Viper pilot on the Battlestar Galactica. Glad I was able to settle this for everyone.

There was a small announcement in the Daily Press saying that Mach Tower was officially open:

Busch Gardens announced the opening of its newest ride, Mach Tower, on Friday.

The ride, which was scheduled to open in early spring, was delayed because of mechanical issues. After a soft opening on Thursday, when some park visitors were invited to ride the drop tower, the park announced Mach Tower's official opening to the public.

The ride is described as a 30-seat drop tower that plummets 240 feet. Thrill elements are incorporated during the ride's ascent to "keep riders from becoming complacent," a press release says.

I guess that's all the hoopla we're gonna get, but that's OK. Park guests are just happy that the ride is running, and folks during the "soft opening" on Thursday were enjoying it.

I saw a quick mention of it on WAVY 10 this morning. Probably would have been more; but, if you live in the Hampton Roads area ALL media has been focused on the opening of a "light rail" system in Norfolk yesterday.

I got an email from the park telling me it was open, as well as the Facebook and Twitter updates.

Off to Williamsburg I go.....

^I would be very surprised if they just announced it without any form of viral marketing this time around. Considering how long they hyped Cheetah Hunt while it was being built before even announcing what it was, I can't imagine they'd throw all of the details out there and ignore the standard marketing efforts.

It's good, not something I'd wait more than 20 minutes to ride. If you do ride, don't close your harness all the way. You'll thank me later.
You wouldn't wait 20 minutes??? Are you impatient

No, it's just not worth it if the lines really long.

In the dark side of the gardens,

there's so much you will find,

the only thing you have to loose is a little of your mind.

In the shadows black,

you can't turn back,

they come from everywhere.

Both above below and behind,

their screams are in the air.

Come play in my gardens.

Nice little chant don't you think so?

In the dark side of the gardens,

there's so much you will find,

the only thing you have to loose is a little of your mind.

In the shadows black,

you can't turn back,

they come from everywhere.

Both above below and behind,

their screams are in the air.

Come play in my gardens.

Nice little chant don't you think so?

Maybe if whoever wrote it spelled lose correctly.

^Agreed. The park is gradually posting information about Howl-o-Scream, so why not discuss it? After all, we're already talking about HHN in California and Florida.

Williamsburg shook a a bit thanks to that quake near Charlotteville. I imagine there are some freaked out people e-stopped on a few rides at the moment.

Edited by cfc

via Busch Gardens Facebook:

Along with most of the east coast, we felt the effects of today’s earthquake. Park officials have closed all of the major attractions and the rides will be returned to service after each undergoes a thorough inspection.

We had some things fall off shelves on my side of VA. Pretty scary stuff.