TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Yeah my supervisor told me told me today that Mach Tower will be an observation ONLY tower during Christmas Town which makes sense since you are supposed to admire all the lights and decor.

I got a glimpse of the new maze taking over Cursed, I am OFFICIALLY CONFIRMING that it will be a fair themed maze n that area. You can even see the carnival style tents from the train, there is even a ticket booth at the gate just on the inside. I know it was confirmed by inside sources for BGWFans.com however this just me saying I actually saw it so you know its all cool.

I also saw a Howl-o-Scream golf cart. It was entangled in vines with red flowers that had eyes and the slogan The Dark Side f the Gardens was posted on it, maybe we can be seeing a new permanent theme???

Sorry all you Mach Tower fans, the gift shop that was loaded with Mach Tower merchandise was torn down completely and is no longer there, I guess you have to get your shirts and mugs in England for now on.

Employee Ride Time for Mach Tower (which we get paid almost minimum wage for as extra hours) will be Wednesday 9am-5pm. Want to see people scream their heads off? You probably should visit then.

I went over to the park after work last night for a few hours. There was a decent-sized crowd, yet the longest line was for the Loch Ness Monster--go figure. I got a pretty good look at the old Cursed area from Apollo's Chariot. It does look sort of "carnival-like" down there (lots of tents).

My main objective was to check out this new "teaser" signage everyone had been talking about here and to get a few pictures of the work on Verbolten. As for Mach Tower, I did see it test once: It went up and plunged down successfully--yay!

01.jpg.371d823e743208d2caef5d0d2b62a116.jpg

The "big dig" continues (as seen from the bridge over the Rhine River).

02.jpg.29ff5cec12d3b225694d4514825f0b45.jpg

Looks like these poor trees could use a hug.

03.jpg.75210c32e2aabd1cdef270e6cdae0803.jpg

The old Big Bad Wolf station--as reported earlier, the waterfall is gone (or at least shutdown for the duration, I guess).

04.jpg.2a7a8fddb85c0ee3d7129e28cfdd9f82.jpg

This looks like something Dr. Frankenstein would have in his lab.

05.jpg.cc5f2d2ee780e3b0c610e132fc6bdeea.jpg

Hmm-a promise of things to come, perhaps?

06.jpg.e713644ff2f67f89b50e4b4c3a102192.jpg

This certainly looks ominous.

07.jpg.5892bae8d70ff5be9e272ed7e3be724a.jpg

Feelings of dread growing . . . (Is that a logo I see on the left?)

08.jpg.a49a5b8101f5633ab1d97f8d2d4a8bca.jpg

We are?

09.jpg.5f2e2439d70a0da1b32c9eba0b8688ac.jpg

Yep--I guess we are at that.

10.jpg.460d75912c361b969569ccdb9cad185e.jpg

Even more dangerous that the road between Franklin and South Hill, Va.? If so, that's pretty dangerous!

11.jpg.7bdb7bdb68752550dcca993a924a463e.jpg

Let's have a look at this construction, shall we?

12.jpg.38a60801a6e58a6bcecec3d18b6b4f9c.jpg

Even this dragon fly is curious about Verbolten.

13.jpg.5d551e7e170d8dbc873ec7df94de877d.jpg

That's a pretty good sized hole. But it seems that this area's role in Howl-o-Scream will contunue this year. (On the left is Drachen Fire's barn; the old station, which has been infested with vampires in the past, is on the right.)

14.jpg.a09e89e179e9ebf3cd26c02f57b79b4b.jpg

Looks like rebar-and-concrete time.

14a.jpg.eee1aaadc733297f668e18c9b9f6d455.jpg

Remember, when working on Verbolten, do not drink the water!

15.jpg.a35f5e6c995b089d11c745a296c8b75d.jpg

The construction site--through the bumper cars!

16.jpg.da76db4b08f8df71fb56a2412aca82bf.jpg

Noted! That's all for now.

Edited by cfc

Grin and Scare It

Go ahead. Step right up to the creepiest show on earth. A traveling carnival has just crawled into Festa Italia, and you’ll be one of the very first guests to see what terrible traps these carnies have in store. As they unpack boxes brimming with ghastly tricks, the high-pitched laughter of evil clowns echo from the shadows. At this sinister circus, you won’t be calling for an encore.

New confirmed Scare Zone. It'll be fun to see some sort of demented carnival/clown theme return to Festa!

securedownload.png.1042a36c89586a558ee55f6fae28784e.png

Picture on the site.

A great update, Chuck- and those signs really do start pointing the way to Verbolten- and drop enough hints to be curious- yet not so revealing... save the car driving off the bridge image... or the rocks falling... I wasn't aware of how big the hole was till I could see DF's leftovvers in the background- which from memory seemed so much further away than my memories of the Wofl?DF area in years well gone by.

On a completely random note, Mach Tower looks good. I remember when I said it was "carny" and some justified it. I spoke too soon, so I was wrong about the final product, but right about the clunky look. So glad for those cover plates! It's a beautiful tower structure now.

Umm ... 2012 theme - again speaking early here, it's probably the most un-BGW-like atmosphere since Wild Izzy The ride will be a family winner regardless, but man is this a departure.

So yeah the park definitely is doing fine without all these crazy coasters; however they are more known for trying to open something that breaks some sort of record. The only coaster that I don't think I could find was a record breaker was Apollo's Chariot. All the other coasters, Griffon, Loch Ness, Big Bad Wolf, Alpengeist; all have some sort of major accomplishment or something of the sorts. I think those coasters just would not look right or fit in with the park, just structural wise as well as it doesn't seem right.

Speaking of Howl-o-Scream, it looks like Festa's carnival theme is taking a turn for a scare. That is cool though, I think we can expect to see some great scares here.

As for Mach Tower, I hope it is open by this weekend.

And finally the new coaster, its a big hole with concrete footer now. Don't forget the station is just an empty shell and the gift shop with tons of Mach Tower merchandise has been completely trashed. That basically cover everything up in a nutshell.

2 Things the Park Needs

1- Family Coaster to Replace Big Bad Wolf (Something in the Middle Between Grover and Loch Ness Monster)

2- Major Looping Coaster to Replace the Void of Drachen Fire (Maybe a Flying Coaster?)

*- Would a Wooden Coaster Work with Busch Gardens? Like an Intamin Pre-Fab or a GCI/Gravity Group Terrain Coaster?

Verbolten might fill the "intermediate family coaster" void. The park has stressed that it's going to be a thrill ride that families can enjoy. We shall see

Edited by cfc

So yeah the park definitely is doing fine without all these crazy coasters; however they are more known for trying to open something that breaks some sort of record. The only coaster that I don't think I could find was a record breaker was Apollo's Chariot. All the other coasters, Griffon, Loch Ness, Big Bad Wolf, Alpengeist; all have some sort of major accomplishment or something of the sorts. I think those coasters just would not look right or fit in with the park, just structural wise as well as it doesn't seem right.

Apollo's Chariot did have the record for most airtime on a steel coaster when it opened.

^Why does everyone want a flyer for Busch? back right when wolfie was taken out, alot of people said they would want a flyer to use the old BBW and DF areas for a flyer themed to a dragon like drachen fire was. Well, i could care less about a flyer. They're good, but B&M's best coasters are their Inverters and Sit-Downs. It's a sin they've only built five.

Now what if busch finally got their wish from 1991 and got a B&M sit down back there well, dream are dreams and that'l probobaly never happen. That's a pretty bad site for a coaster as far as location goes. it really away from the main park.

^Why does everyone want a flyer for Busch? back right when wolfie was taken out, alot of people said they would want a flyer to use the old BBW and DF areas for a flyer themed to a dragon like drachen fire was. Well, i could care less about a flyer. They're good, but B&M's best coasters are their Inverters and Sit-Downs. It's a sin they've only built five.

Huh? Seems to me that B&M has built considerably more than five "Inverters and Sit-downs." Or am I just misunderstanding you here?

Edited by cfc

^OK, I'm using a broader definition of "sit-down" here, which includes diving, floorless, and hypers (or whatever B&M calls their 200-foot-plus coasters). But I'm not here to wage a war of definitions.

Thank you for clarifying your statement, as originally it sounded like you were saying they'd built only five inverted and sit-down coasters.

Please use proper capitalization and punctuation, as well--both are required under TPR's Terms of Service. Thank you.

Edited by cfc

I would say "not really" as they haven't been hyping this as some sort of "psychological thrill ride" ala Th13teen. The rides do share some similarities, but I think BGW is playing this up more as a "family" ride that provides some thrills (like BBW).

But we'll see what happens after they make a formal announcement and their promotional campaign kicks into high gear.

Edited by cfc

Hmm, well I hope its like Cheetah Hunt. I remember they hyped that up as a family coaster and maybe it is. But it's one of the best coasters I have been on in a while. Just a smooth and relaxing ride with a lot of fun. I hope I can plan a trip to Williamsburg one of these days.

As it would turn out, there's a maze in Festa I missed. Glad to see clowns coming back to Festa.

Fear Fair

On the dark outskirts of the Fair Grounds near Festa Italia, a traveling carnival is waiting under a stained and tattered big top. Lift the flaps of the tent and discover the macabre—a fantastic collection of freaks, psychotic clowns and other insane oddities that defy human explanation. Will your sides split with laughter? Or will you turn around and run for your life? Either way, you’ll quickly understand why this evil carnival is doomed to wander the Italian countryside … never stopping in the same village twice.