TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

^ I sure hope that is it. But it's weird that we haven't seen any testing with water dummies... Aren't they supposed to do that type of testing for measurement of forces making sure it is safe for people..?

Also, Busch still has to do their testing. Maybe Moser is cleaning up their personal mess for Busch to get in there and do their own testing? I'm very hopeful, as i'm sure everyone else is, that it opens soon. Especially so people can stop asking "Is Mach tower open yet??" on the Busch Gardens Williamsburg Facebook.

Well considering that at freefall the minimum one will experience is 0.0G and when slowing down vertically isn't terribly stressful (unless, of course the brakes don't manage to catch it again) so I wouldn't see a need to. With this said, I have no knowledge of what testing is done this is just my thought.

Yes, but they had water dummy testing in May, and have had them on-site. Weird that they haven't re-done the dummy tests with the newly added (since then) shock absorbers.

Well it looks long enough and as long as it drop as fast as they said I'm fine with it...the only thing is after being slowed down it moves at a constant speed for about 10 seconds before coming to a stop. Comparatively, KDs Drop Zone moves at a constant speed for about 3-4 seconds before stopping (according to

). It would seem that they could have made the drop slightly longer. Why would they not? Anyone care to elaborate?

Remember this is a new company. I don't BGW trusts Moser as much as it would a big name company. Accidents are more likely to happen with a newer company then a well trusted name, so I think BGW wanted to play it safe.

A drop doesn't make a drop tower good, it is what you can do with it. I am sure the vibrating seats, on board audio and spinning make it better than what it looks like now.

I guess that makes sense regarding the fireworks, but they just seem louder. I guess I just need to go live in Kingsmil and hear it for myself. I actually don't like Kingsmil, they are terrible drivers, I almost got hit by one

They really are slow too, every time I go to work there is always 10 of them blocking me.

^ KIngsmill is mostly elderly/retired people, so I'm not surprised.

The ride goes into pure freefall for about 40 feet and spends the next 100 feet at 60 mph (it doesn't go any faster than that). Basically you're still dropping at 140 feet, which isn't too bad.

Remember this is a new company. I don't BGW trusts Moser as much as it would a big name company. Accidents are more likely to happen with a newer company then a well trusted name, so I think BGW wanted to play it safe.

Moser's actually been around for a long time. They're just better known for building kiddie rides and family-style attractions. Looking at their website, they have quite a collection of traveling thrill rides in operation, but this is their tallest drop tower and the first in the word with shaking seats and onboard audio. That's why they're having so many problems. A lot of small carnivals carry Moser bounce towers (you can see the manufacturer's name on the bottom of the seats).

A drop doesn't make a drop tower good, it is what you can do with it. I am sure the vibrating seats, on board audio and spinning make it better than what it looks like now.

I'm pretty sure the point of a DROP tower is the drop... Plus, the vibrating seats are going to be a perverted joke by teens standing in the queue line.

But anyways, I'm just glad BGW got this to look at the park from that height since they don't have any form of an observation tower.

I'm pretty sure the point of a DROP tower is the drop... Plus, the vibrating seats are going to be a perverted joke by teens standing in the queue line.

But anyways, I'm just glad BGW got this to look at the park from that height since they don't have any form of an observation tower.

I agree with the point of a drop tower... as that's what the ride is called... However, I might be in the minority here that a drop tower is something that ruins the skyline of BGW: It didn't need one before, and perhaps the malfunctions of Mach Tower now is the ride's way of saying "I don't belong here. Get me out of here."

^I disagree. I think that Mach Tower is actually pretty attractive as such structures go, and fits Oktoberfest because it looks like a giant Maypole (I also like the color scheme).

How is it any more intrusive than, say, Griffon?

^I disagree. I think that Mach Tower is actually pretty attractive as such structures go, and fits Oktoberfest because it looks like a giant Maypole (I also like the color scheme).

I guess I'm old-school BGW, when it was still The Old Country of years back; for me, a drop-tower just doesn't quite fit my memories, if that makes any sense. Of course, getting in Geist Almighty back in 97 did start to change the skyline; Griffon more so.

I can see your point- but my memories I guess are still lingering on a bit more than they should...

I guess I'm old-school BGW, when it was still The Old Country of years back; for me, a drop-tower just doesn't quite fit my memories, if that makes any sense. Of course, getting in Geist Almighty back in 97 did start to change the skyline; Griffon more so.

I can see your point- but my memories I guess are still lingering on a bit more than they should...

I'm that way about Knott's Berry Farm and Silver Bullet, although Xcelerator doesn't bother me--go figure. I've lived in Williamsburg since the mid-1980s, and it has been interesting watching the park evolve since then.

Catacombs is now confirmed for Howl-O-Scream;

Through a ruined cemetery filled with statues lies a tunnel that leads to an underground city. Its history is more terrifying than that of France’s worst revolutions. Deep within these tunnels lie mile after mile of bones—the final resting place for those who are buried here. But all is not as quiet as it appears. As guests venture forth into the dank, dripping corridors of rat infested remains, the voices of the dead begin to speak, and some have taken shape.

http://howloscream.com/williamsburg/homepage/haunted-houses/catacombs.aspx

The big boss Mr. President of SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment is coming to Busch Gardens Willaimsburg today (Friday, July 29th, 2011) to ride Mach Tower. Or at least that was the plan, he is still coming, but I am not sure if he will be riding it? Also, they have been cleaning up Mach Tower, a quick peek inside the fence shows the area is pretty much preped and ready for the public (almost). So maybe Mach Tower will be open soon, this is either really good news or really bad news. I know because my supervisors have been doing some extra cleaning around the place. He can literally walk through the park and say your fired right now, leave, and you have to do it.

So I went today, and besides being really hot, it was really fun. Unfortunately, Mach Tower was still not open. However, I will say that it was testing (it only tested when the crowds came for Illuminights, though, as if it were saying "oooh look at me...I am so enticing...don't you wish I was open...you will have to come back when I am open), and that the testing video is deceptive. I think its the upward angle from which that testing video was taken but I watched it from the side and it drops very quickly, and from what I could tell farther. They seem to have tweaked it to not slow down as early and have a longer drop. So that's good.

As for other new developments, the area that was Big Bad Wolf's swoop through the town is now a crater. I don't know why they scooped out so much but the hole in the ground is ENORMOUS. I thought they were just going to build the event building on top of the ground...guess not.

Anyway, all the other rides were running good. Alpengeist was running the fastest I have ever seen. Apollo's Chariot was also fun (duh). I was waiting with my friends for the very back row on AC (best place to ride), and as the train was loading the next train rolls up to wait outside the station. My friend looks at the front row and goes, "That girl looks a lot like Miranda Cosgrove." Then she looks again and is like, "That is Miranda Cosgrove!" (She was there for the concert series.) I waved and she smiled and waved back. Good day.