TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

Does everyone realize that construction projects are outsourced to contractors? It's not like the BGW maintenance department was building this. There's a long list of people and/or companies you could blame for any construction delay, and more often than not, the park isn't anywhere near the top of that list. Sometimes there are delays. If some of you would take some life lessons from watching Forrest Gump, shite happens.

From what the GM said on Saturday, originally the plan was to have Mach Tower assembled and tested over in Italy and then taken apart and brought to Busch Gardens. But when they fell behind in manufacturing, they just decided to get the thing over here and assemble it from scratch at the park so as to not cut into too much of the season without the new ride, not to mention doing construction when the park is in daily operations mode. Sure it increases the risk of needing tweaking (which is what is happening now), but otherwise it would have taken even longer just to get it on site.

He also said that the park president is hoping to have the new coaster (name he confirmed as Verbolten) ready for opening day next year, but the GM was pretty skeptical about that timeline.

He also said that the park president is hoping to have the new coaster (name he confirmed as Verbolten) ready for opening day next year, but the GM was pretty skeptical about that timeline.

Last fall when they announced Mach Tower, BGW's John Reilly confirmed on video that the ride would be ready when the park opens for the season next year. They opened Alpengeist and Apollo's Chariot in March of their debut years so it's very possible that this new one could do the same.

Also, someone on BGWFans.com whose company put a bid in for the ride construction posted a tentative construction schedule with some target dates.

The sfx building (building 80) foundation 5/31/11, floor slab 6/16/11, building erection 10/25/11 so we have to wait until Hollowscream to see the building. This building is slam full of stuff, lights, sounds, effects.

The station; selective demo 6/28/11, station reconstruction 9/7/11, theming 11/30/11. The theming is really nice.

The ride; ride fabrication 5/2/11, (where does Zierer build their track? Zierer is the manufacturer) deliver event building track 9/26/11, ride install inside sfx building 9/27/11, deliver remaining track 11/1/11, ride install outside 11/2/11, deliver 1st train 12/15/11, deliver remaining trains 1/16/12, startup and test 2/9/12. The schedule is very aggressive and the intent is to have the ride ready for opening day.

Does everyone realize that construction projects are outsourced to contractors? It's not like the BGW maintenance department was building this. There's a long list of people and/or companies you could blame for any construction delay, and more often than not, the park isn't anywhere near the top of that list. Sometimes there are delays. If some of you would take some life lessons from watching Forrest Gump, shite happens.

But...who hires these contractors?

It's a new ride and there's bound to be problems in the ride system. Plus Busch had a little less than a month to get the ride on property, construct the ride, test it without riders/with dummies, set up the entire area so it looks nice, train the operators running the ride, test it with riders, (all while trying to fix any major problems the ride might have) THEN finally opening the ride to the public.

I remember when Griffon opened, the ride broke down constantly. Couple that with long lines and 1 train operations and you've got 2+ hour long lines every weekend in May. My guess is that BGW is trying to minimize that for the first few weeks of operation.

But...who hires these contractors?

To sum up: Mach Tower will not be opening on its scheduled day due to technical problems. Busch and Moser are working on it.

Nothing to see here, folks. Let's move on.

Thank you,

Chuck

Guess what guys! I was one of the 14 winners of the Facebook contest to be the first to ride Mach Tower before the official grand opening ceremony! Stay tuned for a trip report!!

Don't know if you have heard, but they are pushing back the opening date due to "issues" with the ride. They are ordering a part from Mouser in Italy and rumor is that the opening will be 2 weeks late. Congrats for winning though!

I was at Busch this past Sunday and enjoyed myself. One observation though. Do they normally send an empty row 2 (quick queue) if there are no guests in line for it?

Especially on Apollo, that would shorten the line by 4 if they filled it. I observed this on all rides with quick queue.

I was at BGW with a couple friends for the first time on Sunday, and we were wondering why the second row on Alpengeist was sometimes empty. When we were in line for the third row and it was our turn, we asked an op if we could go to the second row and they allowed us to do so. This explains it!

It seems like it makes sense to fill it in if it would otherwise be empty. The only downside I could see is if a group behind the front group in the third row was trying to ride at the same time as some friends, as they would then be mis-aligned.

On another note, however, the park made a great first impression on me. It's definitely a great looking park with all of the trees, flowers, landscaping, etc. The trees are especially nice on a hot day as there are lots of places to get shade. I loved all of the coasters... but Loch Ness Monster when you don't know what exactly to expect.... OWW!

I did find it quite interesting that a Fun Card is the same price as a single day ticket. Doesn't everyone just get a Fun Card in that case? Or, is it not always the same price?

Edited by PennStater

I think they opened the fun card up to anyone this year, you no longer have to be a VA resident. It has always been the same price for a Virginia resident as a one day pass; but, its only good until Labor Day.

I had one for the first year, but realized since I go to the park often, I was better off with the Platinum Pass. The money I saved in parking alone makes it worth it. Plus, I get Hallowscream and discounted Christmas Town tickets.

The Fun Card is ideal for someone that may only visit the park twice a summer, if more you are better off with an annual pass of some sort.

I think they opened the fun card up to anyone this year, you no longer have to be a VA resident.

Correct.

Last year they lifted the Virginia residents only restriction to include non-resident Military members. This year is the first year they made it available to everyone.

I remember when Griffon opened, the ride broke down constantly. Couple that with long lines and 1 train operations and you've got 2+ hour long lines every weekend in May. My guess is that BGW is trying to minimize that for the first few weeks of operation.

I dont remember that, then again maybe I was just lucky haha

On another note I was really hoping to go on the Mach tower soon oh well, so does anyone know why it was delayed, like what was wrong?