TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skycoasters

Am I the only one who was let down by the Kissimmee Skycoaster?

The only exciting part of that one is the initial pull up. Most people who have done a lot of Sky Coasters (including the 300 footer) prefer the smaller models like a 150 footer because of the longer flying time. Even some of those who work for the company that builds Sky Coasters (can't remember the name) prefer smaller ones. Out of all of the ones I have done, I enjoy the standard model over any other.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like others have said, your first time is really the best. Go ahead scream bloody murder, the crew will think something's wrong if you don't. My first time, I think I had the whole "life passes in front of your eyes" on the initial fall. Anymore if its over $5, I pass on it. Also safety in numbers, if you fly the first time in a group, just wait till your first time alone, you get to get totally freaked out again as there is nobody there to grab onto or talk to. You just feel that much more exposed hanging out in the middle of thin air in your harness. Also remember that even though you aren't allowed to pull BEFORE the countdown, that doesn't mean you can't add a 5 count or 10 count after it, just to throw the other flyers with you off.

I've done most of my flying at my home park (Kings Island) of course, but have gotten to do the 300'er twice now. The big thing there is getting over the sheer height on the way up.

A couple other interesting ones I have done is the little 100' one at Extreme World in the Dells, it has the manual platform instead of the more common scissor lift, which means you walk up a flgiht of stairs, get attached to the launch cable,then you grab onto the front rail of the plaform which lowerd down as you lower down slowly (as opposed to "The floor is about to go away, DO NOT grab a hold of the sides or any of us" (WHAP). Then the stairs roll away on a track so they are almost back by the back spike. Extreme World has a nice mound of jagged rocks positioned right where your eyes are looking during the first drop.

The other one was a portable model at the Minnesota State Fair, also only 100', but from a crane, a crane that shakes, in the wind. You can actually snap the cable on the first drop, not break it mind you, but snap it, much like on a Flying Skooter, giving you a nice jerk when you hit the bottom.

I've also been subjected to the spinning Skycoaster, I'm not sure how that works, but once you pull the ripcord, you start spinning around as well as swingign back and forth.

So yeah, to the OP - go ahead, try it, $15 is perfectly reasonable for your first go.

Well. I guess Sky Coasters are too much fun!

The past month I ride the Sky Coaster At Selva Mágica, Guadalajara, Mexico. I ask for permission to take a POV video and here is a mix of a log flume ride, and the sky coaster.

I used a Go Pro Camera, with a special chest harness that gives a very good view!

I hope you enjoy this POV video of the Sky Coaster!

Milton

I absolutely love Skycoasters. That initial drop is unparalleled on any other ride (in my opinion). I will say that there is a fright factor, for me anyways, thinking it's just one wire and some material holding me in, but they are great. I don't know if I'd pay full price for one, as I always use my season pass at SFGAm to get it discounted, but it's definitely worth trying at least once.

Like others have said, your first time is really the best. Go ahead scream bloody murder, the crew will think something's wrong if you don't. My first time, I think I had the whole "life passes in front of your eyes" on the initial fall. Anymore if its over $5, I pass on it.

Where is it $5 or less? Six Flags parks charge $35-$40.

Im shocked I still havent ridden the one at Kennywood yet (Or any one for that matter). I go there like 5+ times a year; its not that Im scared of it, in fact I REALLY want to ride it. But my friends are always too lazy to get to the park early enough to get tickets for it, and they never feel like shelling out $15 either

We have a SkyCoaster here at Playland that offers an "hourly deal" (which has been continuously displayed every day since the season began, lol) of 2 for $22 Cdn which works out to $11 each which isn't too bad I guess.

But of course you end up paying more (almost the entire amount for two) if you ride solo. And I don't think I will do that.

Better to ride and scream like a banchee with other people you know, hmm? More fun, too.

And yes, I think it's worth at least one try, if you've never ridden it before.

Playland04.jpg.8eda7cb920da63c53620cd218332aad5.jpg

Here's ours with the corkscrew in back and the "Revalation" to the left of it.

I have been on the one at Wild Adventures twice. I don't think I could venture to do one bigger than that. It tops out at 180ft and that's plenty high for a harness and rope. What was even worse though was in Mazatlan Mexico and going para sailing. Who the HELL knew these things went like over a 1000ft up into the air. I went on one that was 700ft. It was the scariest moment ever with the sky coaster coming in second.

I went on the Skycoaster at Michigan's Adventure by myself, thinking I was all badass and stuff, and I made the mistake of telling the operator that I was scared of being hung up at the top. Well, I got up there, and guess who leaves me hanging for more than a minute? A minute and a half might not sound like a long time, but when you're hanging face down over two hundred feet above the ground, it almost caused me to poo myself .

Seriously though, it was an amazing experience, and I don't think I ever screamed louder in my life (I was told twice throughout the park that my scream should definitely be put on America's Funniest Home Videos for those of you who know that show). I don't think it'd be as fun/scary if I did it a second time around, but it's something I'll never forget!

The price was a bit hefty, I mean, I paid about $30 for the flight, but then I bought the ORP and the video, so I ended up spending about $60 altogether, but it was worth every penny.

Just like others said, you should at least try it once as it is an experience you won't forget especially if it is your first one.

I only been on one and it was the 300 feet one in Old Town. I went on with a friend and the ride up to the top was terrifying however I will have to admit, the view was great. After they told us to pull the cord, we purposely just let ourselves sit up there to enjoy the view. After a little bit, I pulled the cord and off we went. It was terrifying right when I pulled the cord but going head first right at the beginning was amazing. It was thrilling and an amazing sensation. After the initial dive towards the ground, it was an very enjoyable experience just swinging back and forth.

I say it was worth it and something I won't soon forget but for me to get on it again, well I'm not sure if I would do it again.

I went on the Skycoaster at Michigan's Adventure by myself, thinking I was all badass and stuff, and I made the mistake of telling the operator that I was scared of being hung up at the top. Well, I got up there, and guess who leaves me hanging for more than a minute? A minute and a half might not sound like a long time, but when you're hanging face down over two hundred feet above the ground, it almost caused me to poo myself .
Hehe, yeah, we like doing that.

I'm a Skycoaster Site Controller, so (obviously) I love skycoasters. I've been on around 20 of them, now, from the smaller models like at Kings Island to the big one at Old Town. To me, once it's over 175 feet they all feel the same.

For a first timer, it's definitely worth it. I took my first flight when I was training to be a Site Controller, and screamed the entire way. Solo flights are definitely the way to go, even if it does cost more money.

Skycoasters are great fun. If anyone has any questions I might be able to answer, let me know!

Skycoasters are the most fun you can have at a park! Iv'e been on the one at SFGAm which is a total rip off and really lame because its only 120ft and 30 bucks! But Iv'e also been on the ones at Valleyfair and SFKK, both of which are 180ft and much much more thrilling and cheaper too! the one at SFKK was only 15 dollars a person, and the one at Valleyfair I rode twice in the same day, overall I think there alot more fun and scarier by yourself because you really get to feel free and being that high up just hanging there is relaxing to me. The first fall is about the most godly experience you can ever imagine, But definetly dont waste your money on one thats less then 150ft

*LOVE* Skycoasters! I've only been on one (Darien Lake, about 180 feet if I remember correctly) and IMO, it's worth the money, for the most part. It's definitely a unique experience unlike a ride on a rollercoaster. You'll be screaming your head off

If I also remember correctly, after you fall, you fly past the arch and can unlock your arms with your partner (if you're riding with someone that is). I honestly don't even remember doing this or any kind of instructions for that matter because I was so scared. I don't know what kind of significance it holds but try to keep a sense of calm during the ride because you completely loose it the minute they start to raise you up.

Well, I got up there, and guess who leaves me hanging for more than a minute?.

Yourself?

You know, since you pull your own cord, you decide how long you hang up at the top. Just saying

Well, I got up there, and guess who leaves me hanging for more than a minute?.

Yourself?

You know, since you pull your own cord, you decide how long you hang up at the top. Just saying

While that's true - you technically aren't allowed to pull the cord until you have been cleared by the crew on the ground. That whole "3, 2, 1, Fly" is more than just a motivational countdown, it also means everything and everybody on the ground is clear of your flight path.

So if the guy on the mic doesn't clear you to fly for a minute or two after you've reached the top, you are technically hugn there for a minute or two.

I was just in New Orleans for the ELCA National Youth Gathering last week. In their huge interaction center, they had sort of a mini skycoaster. It was really cool. It was like a skycoaster made from a zipline kit. I didn't do it (the line was too long and we had to go), but it was fun to see.