TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skycoasters

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place, sorry if it should be somewhere else.

Anyway, I'm going to Lagoon wednesday and i just have a couple questions about the skycoaster:

1. Are skycoasters fun?

2. Is it worth the extra pay? its $15 at Lagoon

3. Is it worth it to go by yourself?

ADMIN EDIT: I edited your thread title and subtitle to make them a bit more descriptive.

Chuck

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's your 1st time on a skycoaster, pack an extra pair of pants.

That is all.

Seriously though...

1. Skycoasters are absolutely scary as hell, if only for the first time. The sensation of hanging on your back hundreds of feet in the air with nothing but a vest and a inch-wide cord isn't something you take lightly, if you get my drift.

2. $15 sounds a tad expensive, but if you're willing to pay, go for it.

3. Absolutely! In fact, I find that the experience is heightened when you're riding alone because there's no one you can share the fear with.

...plus, no one has to find out you sh!t your pants.

$15 sounds a tad expensive, but if you're willing to pay, go for it.
Have you seen the one in Kissimmee that is $90? That one is expensive.

Anyways... Skycoaster's are simply amazing! They are one of my favorite rides in the world! Especially FL's 300 ft one!! There is no feeling better than falling head first towards the ground at mind blowing speeds! Going alone is just as fun as going with someone. If no one will ride it with you don't worry, ride it alone and you will have just as much fun! Hope this helps a little!

~Matthew

^One of my dreams is to someday be able to make it over to Florida and ride the 300 foot Skycoaster in Kissimmee.

I absolutely love Skycoasters. As long as they are 150 feet or taller, they are completely worth the fee. We actually paid 20 apiece at Kennywood for their 180 foot Skycoaster, and it was definitely well worth it.

Skycoasters are really good on the first couple of swings. I think they tend to give better airtime than drop towers. After the first 2 swings though, they're not much to write home about. I'd say it's worth it to pay for your first time, but after that, I wouldn't pay much more than $10 for one. Except of course for the really awesome one at Old Town.

When Valleyfair got its skycoaster I avoided it all summer long. then in September I decided that it was time.

Going up 180' hanging by a harness for the first time solo is a experence! No one to talk to, just you and the sound of the wind or park background noise. Then you have to pull.

I have taken other people for there first flights more than a few times now..

Safety in numbers is defiantly true there, I have had my arm squeezed hard by them!

If you have never done one, defiantly go for it!

I just did the one at SFDK, the most nerve-racking part was having to pull the ripcord...or someone else in your group pull it. The initial freefall feeling is much like a drop tower's but in a different position. I found that after the initial plunge, it's pure relaxation and coasting back 'n forth. For the price ($20/rider) I'll just go ride a drop tower.

First time, skycoasters are absolutely TERRIFYING, and completely awesome. The drop itself isn't particularly bad, more fun then anything else, the terrifying part is the minute it takes to get to the top. Any little movement seems to get magnified due to being 100 ft in the air hanging in a vest by a tiny cable. The feeling when you first pull the ripcord is also scary as hell (as expected), but it is tons of fun to feel like you're connected to nothing. The only thing comparable to that feeling is SCAD diving.

Overall, DEFINITELY worth the money, and it's definitely something everyone should try at least once.

I stopped counting my Sky Coaster flights when I reached 500.

That said, they still freak me out when I ride one. It is definitely worth the money. And as someone else pointed out, $15 is not that much compared to most.

So go for it. You will not regret forking over the cash for the experience.

I've been on two skycoasters at SFGAdv, and Royal Gorge National Park. SFGAdv had the taller skycoaster, but the one at Royal Gorge (Colorado) was smaller, but swung out over a canyon with a river more then 300 ft. down. That was scarier then any other coaster I've been on (so far anyways) and was worth the extra money.

I think I got spoiled when I used to work on one.

Testing it in the morning was something else. First ride of the day all by yourself...great way to wake up. Granted, we had to listen for strange sounds while going up and the ground crew had to do their checks, but once you pulled the cord, it was awesome.

The best was when we played Russian Roulette with each other. That's where a group of 3 of us would go on when we were off work and they would randomly hook one of us to the ripcord and not tell us. When we got to the top, none of us knew who was going to make us fly.

Plus, working there brought so many great stories of guests terrified to ride. From people pissing themselves to one guy going on with his girlfriend and coming off with several bleeding holes in his arm from her digging her nails into him out of fear.

Does it seriously cost $90/person to ride the one at Fun Spot?

I've ridden the Skycoaster at SFKK twice now, and both times were equally terrifying. I'm not sure if I would pay 90 bucks to experience that feeling...but it is quite incredible.

Skycoasters are absolutely nerve racking and terrifying, the first time. At CGA, I tried theirs a few years ago by myself, and going up was one of the freakiest feelings ever. I honestly thought that was the end. Once I pulled the cord and the fall started, I screamed like a girl. Nothing like falling 180 feet in that little flight suit screaming at the top of my lungs. Afterwards, I wanted to ride again (but didn't want to fork over another $15). Nowadays, if a park has a Skycoaster, I try to get my friends on it. The reactions of a first timer are priceless.

If your scared of heights, don't even try it out, it will likely scare the sh!t out of you. But if you think you can handle the freefall, go for it. It will still scare the sh!t out of you, but the experience will leave you breathless and wanting more.

At Kentucky Kingdom I was lucky enough to get two rides for $10. The great view at the top was the best part. The upside down freefall was a cool feeling, but not really intense like I thought it would be. Drop towers provide a much more thrilling and intense feeling of freefall IMO, but I'm glad I got to finally experience a skycoaster. It was actually a little bit nauseating to be laying on my stomach during the lift up. I would definitely go on it again, but I wouldn't pay more than $15 to do it, with the exception of the one at Royal Gorge, which looks amazing.

Am I the only one who was let down by the Kissimmee Skycoaster? I did it solo a few years ago and while I admit that the trip up and initial free fall are amazing, that's pretty much it. It felt as if the wind resistance was already slowing me down 50 ft. before I got to the bottom. In fact, I doubt I even made it to 60 ft. on the first swing. Perhaps a group of three could go MUCH father than I did due to the added weight. But I think that I could have had a much more intense experience bungee jumping from the same height.

On the other hand, the 100 ft. and 150 ft. sky coasters I have done seemed to be much more fun and much more cheap. And $15 sounds almost like a steal to me. After you do one once, they could very well become your favorite attraction at the park. But just be sure to have some $$ ready.

I'm still trying to work up the courage to do the 300' Old Town sky coaster...

I did that one first. I figured that if I was only ever going to do one in my life it might as well be the big one

I've done others since though. As others have written here, it's scary as hell, even after you've done them before, but the rush you get is second to none.