TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skycoasters

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like sky coasters and think they are pretty fun. However, I don't think they are worth a big extra cost. If it's $10 and under I would probably do it, but anything over that it just gets too expensive. I've never done it alone, so I don't know how much better or worse that is. There is one here in Reno, but i've been hesitant to try it. It is Reno after all, so I'm a little leery on their upkeep.

^ Don't worry, there are daily, weekly, and monthly inspections on all the different components of the ride that must be done and sent in to the company. If not, the ride is not allowed to operate.

I can back this up. I was Senior Site Controller for a while at a Six Flags park, I had to complete A LOT of that paperwork and fax it in every month. The training and certification on those rides are no joke. To be a "Site Controller" you have to know the 250+ page manual pretty much forwards and backwards. You have to spend a certain amount of training time operating the ride, and then a rep from Skycoaster comes out tests you with both written and practical tests. You don't have to be a Site Controller to operate the ride, but a Site Controller must always be present at the ride when it's in operation. I don't know of any ride that is probably safer both in it's design and with the training to operate.

I have ridden a few. The thing I didn't like with most of the ones I have been on is the swing time. It seems like they just let you go back and forth a few times and stop you. For the money they charge they should let you swing a while.

^ Does that matter much though? At $20-30 a pop do these rides still pull a lengthy queue?

You would be surprised. When I was working the Skycoaster at SFDK, we used to get pretty backed up even with two flight lines, and we had a 100ft ride so the ride length is less than the larger ones. We could get backed up 1-2 hours sometimes because of the demand. Don't underestimate the popularity of the Skycoaster. haha.

^ Does that matter much though? At $20-30 a pop do these rides still pull a lengthy queue?

You would be surprised. When I was working the Skycoaster at SFDK, we used to get pretty backed up even with two flight lines, and we had a 100ft ride so the ride length is less than the larger ones. We could get backed up 1-2 hours sometimes because of the demand. Don't underestimate the popularity of the Skycoaster. haha.

When I did it at Lake Compounce they were taking appointments. We signed up in the morning and had to come back in early afternoon.

I have ridden a few. The thing I didn't like with most of the ones I have been on is the swing time. It seems like they just let you go back and forth a few times and stop you. For the money they charge they should let you swing a while.

If they don't catch and stop you at that point, then they're required to let you swing, and swing, and swing, and swing until you're basically stopped over the launch platform. Believe me, by that point, it's REALLY boring.