TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New ABC Series (Shaq vs)

This new show should be interesting for any sports fan:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4341098

Maybe Shaquille O'Neal's new nickname should be the Big Experimenter.

In a new ABC reality television series that begins filming this week, Shaq will take on other top athletes in their own sports.

"Shaq Vs.", which is set to premiere Aug. 18 at 9 p.m. ET, begins filming Wednesday in Pittsburgh, where Shaq will take on Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in football.

Future episodes of the hour-long show will feature Shaq against Olympic swimming sensation Michael Phelps, boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya, St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols, tennis star Serena Williams and beach volleyball Olympians Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh.

According to USA Today, the episodes will feature preliminary challenges, news conferences, quality time with needy kids and negotiations of a handicap between Shaq and his competitors. Each episode will climax with a main event.

I am interested in the one versus Michael Phelps. He will probably be 3/4 down the pool before Phelps starts and will still lose

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rothelisberger episode is being shot tomorrow in a suburb of Pittsburgh. There was to be a press conference for this, but well you know. Legal stuff happened to Ben that would divert the press conference away from the show.

Funny you mention that, I heard on Sports Radio this morning that ESPN has made no mention of the Roethslisberger accusatons on the air due to the fact that Big Ben is expected to be the most recognizable athlete to the watchers of the Shaq show.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone else watch this?

It was entertaining to watch but the game itself was a little boring other than Shaq's illegal interception.

Of course Ben won 3 touchdowns to 2 but Shaq was throwing some good passes.

Next week is beach volleyball.

While the game itself was not must see TV, Shaq at the combine was awesome. Football to me is the easiest sport (It's all relative of course) for Shaq to compete in.

I would love to see him especially in Tennis and Swimming. He might be able to dominate volleyball because he is so freakin' tall and nothing gets past him.

Here are details about Shaq Vs Micheal Phelps. It seems the Phelps will be featured in the season finale of the show. From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

O'Neal said the concept for the program came about during an Olympic-watching party at his house in August 2008. According to O'Neal, someone turned to him while Phelps was winning one of his eight gold medals at the Beijing Games and asked, "Hey, you think you can make it down before he makes it down and up?"

"And I said, 'Yeah, of course I could,'" O'Neal recounted Saturday. "I said, 'Well, hook it up.' And that's how the show started."

For the Sept. 15 episode, he'll take on Phelps at a Baltimore-area pool Sunday, with help from Phelps' own coach, Bob Bowman. The emcee explained that O'Neal will swim 50 meters and Phelps will race a "longer distance, to be revealed" — something O'Neal apparently did when he made reference to having to swim one length of the pool before Phelps can finish two lengths.

They'll also square off in a relay of sorts: O'Neal will have teammates, including medal-winning Olympic swimmers, while Phelps will swim every lap himself.