TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My Trip to the Midwest's Best...and Worst

^Thanks, I probably was too harsh, but while rating amusement parks a couple big things for me are two trains ops (or more if possible) and fast ride ops. I did not know that they added a second train to Phantom if the line got long, but if they can add that second train, why not do it anyway!? While the line never got longer than about 10 minutes while I was there, the station was very crowded and a mess...a second train really would have helped.

Also, I forgot to mention this in the trip report, but is there a reason Kennywood doesn't have gates that open and close for the riders to get on the ride like all other amusement parks? It was pretty weird, if you were the next person to board you could have just hopped right onto the station track.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Thanks, I probably was too harsh, but while rating amusement parks a couple big things for me are two trains ops (or more if possible) and fast ride ops. I did not know that they added a second train to Phantom if the line got long, but if they can add that second train, why not do it anyway!? While the line never got longer than about 10 minutes while I was there, the station was very crowded and a mess...a second train really would have helped.

Also, I forgot to mention this in the trip report, but is there a reason Kennywood doesn't have gates that open and close for the riders to get on the ride like all other amusement parks? It was pretty weird, if you were the next person to board you could have just hopped right onto the station track.

Oh yes, usually they add train 2 around maybe 1 or 2 o'clock, right when the real crowds start coming. But on one occasion, I remember the second train being added at noon. While I agree it would be nice to constantly have two train operation, I've learned that it probably won't happen at KW unless it's needed, and usually doesn't pose much of a problem.

And the gates, I've never heard of ANY issues whatsoever, and most people with common sense know to what for the next train to empty out, and on the Phantom, the intercom tells you to wait behind the line until the train empties out, and I've seen the ops yell at people for just standing ON the line. As for Jackrabbit/Racer, they let you on in groups, thus solving the issue there, and the Thunderbolt empties the train in the back of the station, then loads at the front.

There really doesn't seem to be a need for gates here, so why would KW spend extra money for the actual gates, and the electric wiring, etc, when there is no need for it? I think it works out fine, and makes it a little different from most parks.

I'm surprised to hear about Kennywood's workers...they've usually been a lot better than that on the times I've been there.

Kennywood isn't my absolute favorite park in this region. That would be Hershey Park. But, comparing those two is like comparing apples and oranges. Kennywood has always had a small park charm to it, that I've only experienced one other time, when I went to Knoebels.

I'm not offended by anyone who doesn't think much of the place. I personally think you have to be from the Northeast to really understand what a park like Kennywood means to a lot of people.

Nice TR. Too bad you didn't get to experience Jack Rabbit in the back. The air-time is spectacular. It isn't the normal ejector pops or floaters that you would normally get. Rather it's as if the entire train was pulled out from beneath you, then you get pulled back down to its' level.

Phantom's Revenge is always up there around #10 for steel coasters, and I think it's Under-rated at that. I prefer it over Nitro or Apollo for sure.

Agreed that Racer is pretty boring, but if you have a group of four that can each take corresponding seats in different trains, it can be fun.

The Bebes' First Theme Park Tour in 2006 was almost the same:

Kennywood, Geauga Lake, CP, KI, SFKK & HW!

Looking forward to the rest of your trip!!!

-Mr. Bebe

^Thanks! I wish Geauga Lake still had its coasters, I definitely would have gone.

Kings Island, 3rd park of the trip.

I was expecting a lot out of Kings Island, especially Diamondback. Once again, that did me no good. I think Kings Island is a very nice park. From looks, the kiddie area looks like it really is the best. I really liked the Coney Mall section of the park (very classic) and other random parts of the park were also nice. I must say that I-Street is right up there with Disney for best park entrance. Again, the park was very nice because it had a good balance of everything (kiddie rides, kiddie coasters, family rides, family coasters, thrilling coasters, wooden coasters, flat rides, water rides, etc.) I didn't think operations were too bad (except on some rides...coughcough), but they were far from good. I'll get to more of that later. The park had good food (LaRosa's is the best pizza I've ever had, and Graeter's Ice Cream is really good too). Sounds like a really good overall park, right? Just one thing...

The coasters. IMO the coasters are not exactly the best, or even close to best. I know a park is not all about coasters, if it wasn't for the nice-ness of the park/balance of rides/food/classic-ness it'd be down there with SFKK (later in the trip report). Everyone must admit though, coasters do play a huge role in the park, especially for enthusiasts, and Kings Island's just didn't deliver. Here they are:

1 - Diamondback. 6 times (including a night-ride). 20 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 30 minutes, 20 minutes, and 30 minutes. Alright, in the Cedar Point TR I mentioned that I expected MF to be my favorite coaster. If for some reason MF didn't get fixed in time, or if for some reason it wasn't my favorite coaster, I expected Diamondback to be my favorite. Kind of stupid for me to do this, because it left me disappointed with Diamondback. Very disappointed. I kept riding it, front, back, middle, everything. I didn't understand why I didn't like it that much...it just simply did not do much for me. In every seat (especially the back), the first drop was great. It's steep, and there's a lot of air. Then it just seemed like the rest of the ride...lost it. The hills surprisingly did not have noticeable air-time, and there was a lot of vibration at the bottom of each drop (besides the first). The trim after the hammerhead on the next hill took off any possible chance of air-time on that hill, and the helixes seemed kind of pointless (they weren't forceless but they didn't have a lot of force...they were just kind of there). I did really like the V-Style trains though, especially the outside seats (and they were very comfortable). Overall, Diamondback has a great first drop (I love it), but I don't find the rest of the ride to be anything special. You may notice that Diamondback is my 8th favorite coaster, but wait, don't I not care for it much? Maybe you didn't notice how I said the first drop is great and well, I love it. Also, I must say that the single rider line for this ride was horrible.There's a huge line for it, tons of people waiting, yet there were still empty seats being sent out.

2 - The Beast. 2 times. 10 minutes and 45 minutes. Okay, before the fanboy's start asking, YES I did get a night-ride. I sure am glad I did, because imo the ride did nothing during the day. The helixes and tunnels are insane both at night and during the day. The real difference between The Beast at night and The Beast during the day is that during the day, you feel like you're going through a ton of straight track with rough turns and bad trims and it just won't end. At night, you have no idea what is coming when, and everything is just thrown at you, especially the tunnels. You see that you're going into a tunnel, you notice that it's coming up, but it's still a surprise...somehow (I don't know how). Overall, The Beast is nothing during day. Rough and long. At night, yes it is rough and long, but it is also...uh...awesome. I still find it disappointing that the ride can only be good/worth riding at one time of the day though.

3 - Vortex. 2 times. 5 minutes and 15 minutes. I thought Vortex was a fun Arrow multi-looper, but I prefer Viper. Both are pretty rough but I think Viper has a better first drop and I like how you take on the batwing slowly, unlike on Vortex. I did like the high-up corkscrews and the EXTREME hang-time on Vortex, and the unique layout was another bonus, so it definitely was a fun ride.

Right about now, after three decent coasters, you're probably wondering what KI coasters are bad. Here's what I have to say: The rest of them.

4 - Flight of Fear. 1 time. 30 minutes. Flight of Fear could be a lot better than it is. If this was at a Disney or Universal park,it'd be amazing. Instead, it's just in a big room with a few lights. The ride's excitement kind of dies after the launch, and completely after the MCBR. It's really cool launching into the darkness, but then you're just in a big room. The first three inversions are pretty fun, because you're still at a good speed, but then the whole ride basically gets killed by the MCBR. The MCBR brings you to a complete stop, and it takes more time than it should getting off. The rest of the ride is very slow and boring, although it would be a great coaster with some more darkness, more effects in the room, and not such a strong MCBR. Pretty disappointing ride.

5 - Backlot Stunt Coaster. 1 time. 10 minutes. I really did not like Backlot Stunt Coaster. The only reason it's #5 is because the rest of the coasters are even worse, and the tunnel is a lot of fun. I thought the rest was surprisingly rough and the small cars are very uncomfortable. The turns are very small and compact and I kept banging my arms around! Again, the tunnel was very fun (as you can see I love tunnels ) and you had no idea where you were going, but the rest was pretty bad.

6 - Adventure Express. 2 times. 2 minutes and 10 minutes. Pretty fun mine train but a little rough. I really liked the pre-lift and the ending, even though it was kind of disappointing. Better than I expected, but I wasn't expecting much.

7 - Fairly Odd Coaster. Very fun little ride, this is really a great ride to get little kids to like coasters. There was even some air-time! Even if you're not a credit wh*re, you have to give this ride a try. Best kiddie coaster evah.

8 - Flight Deck. 5 minutes. I think this coaster is just simply a bad ride. First of all, it's waaay out of the park in a very poorly kept up area, and the paint-job is terrible. I noticed that this ride had especially slow operations, and even though the ride is pretty short, you were sitting on the brake-run for a good few minutes. The ride itself is pretty un-enjoyable. It was actually a little rough and just not too much fun. Yeah, it's better than Iron Dragon, but Ninja kills it, steps on it, and then kills it again.

9 - Racer (Red and Blue). 2 times (1 on each side). Walk-on and 5 minutes. Back to the Gemini thing where I rode the red side and then the blue side the next day and lucked out because it was the only side open, same thing happened here. I rode the red side on Friday, planning to ride blue right after, but after not liking my ride too much I passed. On Saturday when I went to it, only the red side was running. Luckily the blue side opened up later in the day, and I will again say that I'll never do this again...but that obviously doesn't mean anything. Back to the ride, it just wasn't fun. I hate rides that are just hill after hill (basically out and back coasters) so Racer was not a favorite, or anything close to that.

10 - Firehawk. 1 time. 1 hour. I hate this ride...I hate this ride...I hate this ride. One of my least favorite coasters ever (not counting kiddie coasters). This ride pretty much ruined the day for me...with some help of Invertigo (see review). Firehawk had a long boring line of several switchbacks, and very little shade. What made this line even worse, is that I already knew I was going to hate Firehawk. Why did I ride it? To get the credit of course! Anyways, the operators on this ride were terrible. They were worse than SFKK, they were even worse than... *your least favorite park here*'s ride ops. It was just hard to watch. There were a ton of them just standing around in a circle talking, with the riders just laying down on the brake run in the heat and/or laying down in the station. All of the ops were hot, miserable, did not want to do anything, so they basically...didn't. I heard one of them yell "Hey, can I have my break now!?". Once in the station of Firehawk, there was still about 20 minutes of miserable waiting left to go. Once you were in your train, you still had to lay there for about 5 minutes! It was horrible! FINALLY, onto the ride, you begin going up the horrible lift staring directly into the sun, and then you finally get to fly...for a little bit. For those of you that do not know, I am not a fan of flying coasters, and I don't enjoy Tatsu, so Firehawk was not fun. The in-line twists at the end were torture, and then you had to slam on the brakes...on your back. Then you had to wait there for a while. My head was spinning and I wanted to puke. Finally about 5 minutes later I was finally able to get out of that death-trap and rest while eating LaRosa's pizza. I'll say this once again.I hate Firehawk.

11 - Rugrats Runaway Reptar. 1 time. 35 minutes. I've ridden Bat at Lagoon before...yeah these rides are not fun.

12 - Little Bill's Giggle Coaster. 1 time. 2 minutes. Woohoo! I got it, and I didn't even have to steal a kid. There was a little kid in front of me, and the op asked if I was with her. She quickly said "no!" but the ride op let me on anyway (by myself). I really liked that...so +1 for Kings Island. Now they're only at negative 69,063,573!

13 - Invertigo. 1 time. 15 minutes. Okay, this ride officially ruined the day for me.

Story time!

Once upon a time, I went to California's Great America and rode Invertigo. It sucked. A year later, I went to Kings Island and rode Invertigo. It sucked. Then, I puked. Yes, finally, it happened. With all of the terrible motion sickness that I have, I have never thrown up at an amusement park, until then. Firehawk brought the puke level up to about 90%, and Invertigo hit 100% before we went through the vertical loop. (No I did not throw up ON the ride.) Anyway, I went to the park first aid, fell asleep, ahhh...that was nice. By the time I woke up I felt a lot better, and they were really nice there. +1 for Kings Island. It probably would have been a good idea to go back to the hotel (er, motel) but no. I couldn't. I had to get my Beast night-ride because this would be the only day possible for me to be at the park night. After some more delicious LaRosa's Pizza, I was ready to keep riding!

Other Rides:

1 - Drop Tower. 1 time. 5 minutes. I really liked it. It was a lot of fun. I love the dropping feeling, you're just floating out of your seat. I just wish it would last longer, and with Drop Tower's height it lasted the longest. I wanted to ride it again but it surprisingly got really long waits.

2 - Wild Thorn Berries Log Flume. 1 time. 10 minutes. A decent log ride. A pretty tame and short one with only one drop which was small, but it was relaxing.

3 - Eiffel Tower. 1 time. 2 minutes. Good views.

4 - Kings Island Railroad (or something like that). 1 time. 5 minutes. Gave some nice views of Diamondback, the rest was boring (but hey, what do you expect out of a train?)

By the way, I did not get to ride Son of Beast...it was already closed.

That's all for KI ride reviews/ratings.

Pictures:

Decent skyline.

Impressive.

Ahh, memories...

Bad, bad memories...

These pictures of Invertigo were taken before I rode it, of course.

Because after I rode it I could have cared less about it.

That, and because I was throwing up.

I apologize if you were eating.

Although I must say, Vekoma's coasters are pretty photogenic.

See what I mean?

I have about 10 pictures of this angle.

Yeah...

Uh...where's the track?

I hate this coaster so...so much.

I guess you could call this another beautiful Vekoma.

And what a great Vekoma to start kids out on.

Let's get to the B&M, shall we?

It has to be one of the most photogenic coasters evah.

And don't worry, I have plenty of pictures.

You can see it from anywhere in the park.

Where was this picture taken from? (Don't ask me, I can't remember!)

Above a tree.

Mmm...that drop...

Force?

Get out of the way, Bush! (heheh)

It was pretty crowded.

I could take pictures of it for hours.

And, well, I sort of did.

The rest of the layout (well some of it).

Support mess.

And that is all...oh wait, Kings Island has other rides too...right.

Hello Vortex.

If only it was a Shwarzkopf double loop...

The bad batwing.

Surrounded by trees.

Hmm...what could that yellow support be?

At least it races.

It is a Beast.

Longest...lift hill...evah.

Just pretend the fence isn't there, okay?

Diamondback's splash is better.

Ate here 4 times.

You make me sick. Bad flat ride...bad!

The tall flats.

I did want to ride SOB.

Too bad...

My second ride named Flight Deck.

Minus one for Cedar Fair...

And Kings Island.

Fun mine train. Didn't get any pictures of the ride.

And lastly, Little Bill's Giga Coaster!

I wish...

Coney Island next.

Nice pics. Though it seems you've been let down by many of the parks in this trip, except for Cedar Point.

I guess we're no competition for the California parks over here. I've never been over there, so I can't make a real comparison.

The pcis were nicealthough I thought there was way too many of D'Back.

As for Kennywood, I fell in love with it the moment I walked through the tunnel, and was greeted by the double decker carousel. I actually got choked up a bit, and the only other park to catch me off guard like that was Magic Kingdom.

1 - Diamondback. 6 times (including a night-ride). 20 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 30 minutes, 20 minutes, and 30 minutes. Alright, in the Cedar Point TR I mentioned that I expected MF to be my favorite coaster. If for some reason MF didn't get fixed in time, or if for some reason it wasn't my favorite coaster, I expected Diamondback to be my favorite. Kind of stupid for me to do this, because it left me disappointed with Diamondback. Very disappointed. I kept riding it, front, back, middle, everything. I didn't understand why I didn't like it that much...it just simply did not do much for me. In every seat (especially the back), the first drop was great. It's steep, and there's a lot of air. Then it just seemed like the rest of the ride...lost it. The hills surprisingly did not have noticeable air-time, and there was a lot of vibration at the bottom of each drop (besides the first). The trim after the hammerhead on the next hill took off any possible chance of air-time on that hill, and the helixes seemed kind of pointless (they weren't forceless but they didn't have a lot of force...they were just kind of there). I did really like the V-Style trains though, especially the outside seats (and they were very comfortable). Overall, Diamondback has a great first drop (I love it), but I don't find the rest of the ride to be anything special. You may notice that Diamondback is my 8th favorite coaster, but wait, don't I not care for it much? Maybe you didn't notice how I said the first drop is great and well, I love it. Also, I must say that the single rider line for this ride was horrible.…There's a huge line for it, tons of people waiting, yet there were still empty seats being sent out.

Flight Deck/Top Gun....rough?! Un enjoyable?! That's a first. And about the whole waiting on the brake run; the ride is so short, it has to wait for the train in the station to leave before it gets out of the midcourse.

Single Rider Line/Empty Seats - People chicken out at the last minute, people are too fat to ride, people don't listen and ride when they're supposed to....and on and on and on. If there's an empty seat on the train; 9/10 it was filled until a guest messed things up. What can ya do?

I'm also worried about the vibrations at the bottom of the hills. Most noticably right before the trim. Some say it's breaking in. I don't know. I'm glad you noticed it!

If you didn't notice any airtime in the front or back after the first drop, then....I don't know what to say.

Just giving love to my baby!

-Zach

Thanks for the comments and,

it seems you've been let down by many of the parks in this trip, except for Cedar Point. quote]

Be patient...wait for Holiday World.

Here's some pictures from Coney Island and the Reds baseball game.

I was actually only at Coney Island for about 15 minutes (got the credit and ran) but from what I saw it was a really nice little park with a great family atmosphere. Pepsi Python was a very fun coaster...and very surprising. The hills are so much steeper than they look and you fly down them. Weird but fun little ride.

Yes...welcome.

...And that's all for Coney Island!

Great American Ball Park:

It was PACKED.

Liked this boat.

The river!

SFKK (the 'Worst' park of the trip/midwest) is next!

To answer you question about where you took that DB pic back in the forest, you were in White Water Canyon's line. I took two pics from that angle myself.

Wow, it seemed like you just had a horrible time at KI. I know were not famous for our coasters, but I still enjoy the one's we have.

Yes I have noticed that DB is starting to rattle a lot at the bottom of the hills. When it first opened, this wasn't apparent, but every time I go back, it's getting worse and worse.

Flight of Fear is my 2nd favorite ride there. The MCBR didn't use to be that slow. I'm not to sure why they made that sudden change. Maybe because there is 3 trains. (I could never tell how many it has.)

In all honestly, I think Firehawk is just a waste of a coaster. It's my 3rd fav there, but the loading/unloading procedure is just to long. A line where it could be a 5 minute wait at DB, would be at least 20 at FireHawk. I wish KD would of gotten it instead, while we could of had Dominator.

I'm not going to lie, I lol'ed when you said you puked on Face-Off. I just don't see how you can on that ride.

I agree with Italian Job, and Adventure Express. IMO, I think they should be replaced with more thrilling rides. But hey, that's just me.

Your really lucky though with your trip. Lately the lines have gotten a lot longer since it's the middle of summer. Rides where it would either be a walk-on now has become 20 minutes or greater. So you really should be thankful you didn't run into that, since KI is a popular park.

To answer you question about where you took that DB pic back in the forest, you were in White Water Canyon's line. I took two pics from that angle myself.

Nope, that couldn't have been it. I didn't go on WWC. I think it was taken from the train.

Wow, it seemed like you just had a horrible time at KI. I know were not famous for our coasters, but I still enjoy the one's we have.

I wouldn't say I had a horrible time. There were rides that made me very sick, and I was disappointed in the coaster collection. I liked the park, and it rates 6th out of the 30 I've been to.

Flight of Fear is my 2nd favorite ride there. The MCBR didn't use to be that slow. I'm not to sure why they made that sudden change. Maybe because there is 3 trains. (I could never tell how many it has.)

Yeah, it really was the MCBR that ruined it. Even without theming during the ride, I think it'd still be a lot of fun without such a strong MCBR.

Your really lucky though with your trip. Lately the lines have gotten a lot longer since it's the middle of summer. Rides where it would either be a walk-on now has become 20 minutes or greater. So you really should be thankful you didn't run into that, since KI is a popular park.

That's why I took this trip in June.

• 2 weeks later...

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, the 5th park of the trip.

I hate to start off negative…but this park was very bad, and definitely one of my least favorites. I've seen a lot of people defend the park because it has a good collection of rides. First of all…I don't agree with that, but that's an opinion. Let's say the rides are good though, okay. It's the operations and slow staff that made this park bad. Everything ran one train except Roadrunner Express, and it was horrible to wait in a long line (that shouldn't be so long), get into the station, see a one train operation, and watch the coaster slowly come into the station and watch the slow ride ops. They were in no rush to check restraints, open gates, etc. This is a perfect example of people that simply just don't care about their jobs…and they were everywhere. Onto the rides.

Coasters:

1 – Greezed Lightnin'. 1 time. 2 minutes. I enjoy Montezooma's Revenge so Greezed Lightnin' was a fun ride. Trims in the station were disappointing though.

2 – Thunder Run. 1 time. 2 minutes. An okay wooden coaster. I wouldn't call it too rough but after the first air-time hill it was kind of pointless. I will admit that that air-time was very good, I just wish the rest of the hills had that much.

3 – Chang. 1 time. 30 minutes. Not a fan of stand ups, didn't enjoy Chang. I like the first drop, and it had a great layout, I just hate standing up on a coaster.

4 – Roadrunner Express. 1 time. 10 minutes. Ya know…Wild Mouse coasters are almost so bad, so horrible, and so uncomfortable, that they're actually kind of fun.

5 – Roller Skater. 1 time. 2 minutes. I've ridden enough of these.

6 – T2. 1 time. 15 minutes. Probably tied with Invertigo for my least favorite coaster evah. It was terribly rough and wouldn't end. I still don't think Kong is nearly as miserable though.

Other Rides:

1 - Deluge. 1 time. 1 hour. The one good thing about this park! Deluge was awesome. It beats Downunder Thunder as my favorite waterslide by far. It's just a ton of fun…I wish I was on the 2007 Midwestern trip so I could have ERT on it…

2 - Penguin's Blizzard Plunge. 10 minutes. Decent rapids. Kind of slow and boring but there's a little bit of theming so that's a plus when you're at SFKK.

3 – Tornado. 1 time. 30 minutes. The only other waterslide I rode. I've ridden some before and really liked them but this one was lame.

4 – Sky Wheel. 1 time. 5 minutes. I don't even think they ran half of the cars on this…very frustrating. Although it did give a good view.

That's all for the review. I am having trouble uploading the pictures but I'll try to get them up as soon as possible.

What day did you go? On average the longest wait is around 10 minutes. And thats on a 1 train operation to.

Also why do they need to fill the Wheel full if they're isn't anyone in line? They never have anyway.

I still dont see how there was any long wait.

And btw if you mind me asking, how much do you weigh? Ive noticed that people who weigh more have a better experience on T2. my friends a stick basically(150) and he complained of roughness, im 225 and I was perfectly fine with it. Only beef I got with it, is getting my balls smashed in the kidney bean.

You really like the word "evah" don't you? And being negative. But that's okay, this is a good report and you have some interesting opinions.

I really liked SFKK, and really would like to go back to ride Deluge. I'm beginning to like water parks more and more as I get tired of theme parks...personally I thought the famous Master Blaster was disappointing, but I've been told Deluge is actually better.

^Trust me, he's a littleun

That explains it then lol. Skinny people dont fit the seats really well so they get the rough action T2 can give out but i must be perfect as i barely move in the seat.

Though most of the roughness is caused because of the old prototype trains it uses. If you notice the top 2 wheels touch while the bottom one doesnt but when the car goes through the inversions the bottom wheel hits the rail and I think thats what causes alot of the roughness. But im not a expert in that stuff so idk.