TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Restraint Discussion Thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a side note regarding seat belts. On many wooden coasters that have them, I usually try to put them up over the side of the train when I get out. That helps the next riders find them and get them fastened more quickly. A few ride attendants have told me that they appreciate that because sometimes they run down the side of the train between rides and pull them out or untwist them.

My favorite restraints, as someone pointed out earlier, are the ones in the Schwarzkopf Speedracer trains (Whizzer).

Eric

I guess I'm a bit late to this topic, but anyways...

My favourite restraints are those on Coaster at Playland and the restraints on S.D.C. Hurricane coasters, such as Windstorm at Fun Forest. Coaster's restraint is just a buzz bar that comes a fair distance off your lap, allowing for some insane air. Windstorm's restraint system is a simple lap bar (similar to that of Schwarzkopf's), but the ops allow you to get away with quite a bit of slack.

Best:

Scorpion at BGA (and any other Swatch..however it is spelled...that still is using lap bars)

B&M Hypers, which scare the hell out of me cause I feel so free lol

Worst:

Not a coaster. Phoenix at BGA and any other Intamin Starship that has does uncomfortable lap bars that squeeze you hard and their heavy damn Harness!

I also did not like Flight of Fears lap bar, I felt uncomfortable.

The lapbar isn't the problem but good lord who was the idiot who designed the OTSR for the looping starship? Those things are just plain horrid & are simply not bio-engineered correctly at all.

^^The ops almost never even checked me at Fun Forest. However, I always set my bar very close to me, because I didn't want to, like, actually die. "Dive of Death" isn't supposed to mean anything literal! I didn't want to take any chances at that park and risk ruining their clean, bright, meticulously maintained atmosphere. You're right, though, those Windstorm lap bars are very nice and simple.

The lapbar isn't the problem but good lord who was the idiot who designed the OTSR for the looping starship? Those things are just plain horrid & are simply not bio-engineered correctly at all.

By bio-engineered you mean taking human factor into consideration right? What's the word for that again?

I got an idea for the looping starship, why don't they just put the type of OTSR used on their drop towers or impule coasters instead? Plain and simple and less moving parts.

I don't really find a problem with any restraints but I do like

Single Position Buzz Bars (Such as on Phoenix) I love the freedom they give!

B&M Clamshells- Same as above

Lapbars on looping coasters- Also same as above

I don't like

Pointless OTSRs- Such as on Rolliescoaster at Morey's, it does not go upsidedown so what is the point of them!

Rollies Coaster is a Pinfari Death Machine, and even their non loopers use the OTSRs.

I guess I should be glad that I'm a Pinfari virgin. The only non loopers in my opinion that need them are non inverting Diving Machines like Oblivion (I think Oblivion is the only non inverting one) because you're entire upper body would lean foreward.

Just wondering about this. How come when you're going down vertically without stopping like on Kingda Ka or TTD, you don't "lean foreward" or "fold in half" but when you're getting pulled up a vertical lift hill backwards like on Deja Vu or stopped on Sheikra/Oblivion's holding brake, your head wants to fall foreward.

^Because gravity is pulling your out your seat when the train is not moving in the same direction you are being pulled. When it is moving in the same direction gravity is still doing the same to you but it's pulling the train at the same speed, so you feel like you're 'sat still'. If thats what you meant. Oh and the bio-fit thingy might be ergonomics. I think?

Least favourite (or the first 2 that come to mind)

RITA (banged my neck too much)

Revolution SFMM

Most comfortable OTSR - Nemesis etc.

Favourite - Anything with inversions and only a lapbar =]

Favorite lapbars:

Intamin giga. They're awesome (never tried the B&M clamshell before though)

Favorite OTSR:

Intamin Launch-coasters: luv them..They're so soft!

Worst lapbars: Hmm...Guess that has to be arrow minetrians.

Worst OTSR: The AWFUL restraints on Pa(i)nfari loopers.

And, to add something different to this thread, I thought about, why does a freefall need to have OTSR? Might sound stupid, but it seems pointless when all a ride like that does, is to send you up and down a tower. No lateral or horisontal forces, and no inversions.

anyone agrees?

Favorite lapbars:

Intamin giga. They're awesome (never tried the B&M clamshell before though)

Favorite OTSR:

Worst lapbars: Hmm...Guess that has to be arrow minetrians.

Worst OTSR: The AWFUL restraints on Pa(i)nfari loopers.

And, to add something different to this thread, I thought about, why does a freefall need to have OTSR? Might sound stupid, but it seems pointless when all a ride like that does, is to send you up and down a tower. No lateral or horisontal forces, and no inversions.

anyone agrees?

Most of them are floorless so OSTR's are the best way to go, plus the massive airtime, trust me your body is being pushed down by the OSTR's lol. If your talking about the 1st gen intamins..... well those were simpler times and the OSTR's show it.

Favorite OTSR:

anyone agrees?

I have to disagree with you.

Intamin OSTRs rape perfectly good rides. Stormrunner, Fahrenheit, and Maverick could be so much more enjoyable if there was nothing killing your thighs or side of your head/neck. I have said this before but it needs repeating, Intamin is better than this. For me personally, I get my neck bashed and my thighs killed on every ride that has this type of restraint.

Heck the restraints are the reason that I don't like Maverick that much. Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

Favorite OTSR:

anyone agrees?

I have to disagree with you.

Intamin OSTRs rape perfectly good rides. Stormrunner, Fahrenheit, and Maverick could be so much more enjoyable if there was nothing killing your thighs or side of your head/neck. I have said this before but it needs repeating, Intamin is better than this. For me personally, I get my neck bashed and my thighs killed on every ride that has this type of restraint.

Heck the restraints are the reason that I don't like Maverick that much. Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

No. Intamin OTSR's are among the most comfortable, by far.