TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Restraint Discussion Thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^About Diskos: Same opinion, opposite problem. I feel like my lungs are getting pressed in and I think it might actually be a bit harder to breathe. (I don't care for Diskos, so maybe I'll just avoid them in the future.)

Rock-O-Planes seem to be an automatic stapler. The restraint is just a metal bar that the op fits into a slot in the door...whichever slot is the tightest against you. But the excitement of the ride serves as a great distraction!

I absolutely love the B&M OTSR's there so comfortable to me and mine locks in the perfect spot imaginable, I dont like the Millennium flyers because I feel that they arent even tight and you slide around and there to high up, B&M clamshells are nice to

I really can't say that I have a favorite, although as far as OTSR's go, I really don't mind Intamin's at all. My least favorite are probably the OTSR's on King Chaos at SFGAm. I've never been on any other Huss model like that, so I can't speak for all of them, but I feel like my shoulders are being crushed and they're very uncomfortable...

I really like B&M Hyper Clamshell they don't bother me.

I hate Chance Rides Inc. There so uncomfortable. You may have ridden a ride called "The Inverter" or "Sling Shot". As you know there to tight. It pushes against your stomatch. It feels horrible

Best:

Scorpion at BGA (and any other Swatch..however it is spelled...that still is using lap bars)

B&M Hypers, which scare the hell out of me cause I feel so free lol

Worst:

Not a coaster. Phoenix at BGA and any other Intamin Starship that has does uncomfortable lap bars that squeeze you hard and their heavy damn Harness!

I also did not like Flight of Fears lap bar, I felt uncomfortable.

Does anyone remember the OTSRs on Zonga back at SFDK? Those made it hard for even thin people like me to fit in. What could have been a great classic Schwarzkopf was ruined by the addition of those OTSRs after the ride was moved from Astroworld. Not even Revolution's OTSRs that have that part that sticks out into your chest, Flashback's OTSRs in trains that were comparable to coffins, or Windjammer's "iron restraints of death" made for an uncomfortable ride like Zonga's did. The ride was still fun because it gave that "OMG we're seriously about to die" feeling that not many coasters these days give.

On a more positive note, my favorite restraints for steel coasters are B&M hyper restraints and my favorite restraints for woodies are buzzbars like on Phoenix because they allow for incredible airtime.

Least favorite: OTSRs on traditional sit-down cars, especially on Arrow coasters. I have a strong preference and habit of putting my hands straight up on every ride, and I've found on Arrows it's either painful (my arm gets caught between the restraint and the side of the car) or entirely impossible.

I know what you mean. I try to raise my hands on the Anaconda and the only one that can raise is the arm on the inside of the car. But what I found weird was when I rode the Demon at SFGAm, I couldn't raise my hands in the front car of the red train. But in the front row of the third car of the black train, I was able to get my arms through both sides all the way. But I wasn't complaining though.

Even though SLCs are painful, I really like the reatrains on them. They make me feel more secure.

The traditional bars on the Playland Coaster. No seat dividers, belts, high seat backs, or headrests! No complex mechanisms either, just locks by sliding into a metal slot on the floor of the train (hard to explain without picture) and opened manually by ride ops with levers on the outside of the train. Just plain old classic woodie feel and intense airtime! Best trains in my opinion.

I kinda like Giovanola's hyper train like the ones used for Titan and Goliath. Atleast I can cross my legs unlike on B&M's I can't.

How come cedar fair put seat-belts on all their arrow restraints? Is there an actually safety issue or just to make the capacity lower?

They are IMO abit pointless especially the ones on Demon. Because it's retractable, it's pretty long. Infact it allows the OTSR to go all the way up, so it's pointless as a body size limiter and as a backup. The ride ops don't even bother checking them (atleast on Demon).

The ones on CP's Corkscrew, they mounted them in the most inconvenient way possible. Like that: http://pointbuzz.com/Photos/Photo.aspx?id=2363&tag=corkscrew%7cseatbelt That could seriously chip someone's tooth or whip someone in the eye. I don't get why don't they just mount them the B&M or Vekoma way.

~ Jess "Excuse my B&M fandomness" Chan

1217758632_Dinnerplaylandandmore028resize.jpg.1d3e2e92503f78d1930dcf4f0eb1e93e.jpg

That shows just how loose it is.

1916860795_CGAtripandWilliamwedding036.jpg.d6cbb8df183a223636e7c29a25fae5b9.jpg

Thats the "B&M way".

Personally I do like the B&M Clamshell restraints the best. However the restraints on Goliath at SFMM are also really good and free.

B&M: Most are really bulky but they're never too painful and they get the job done. The clamshells are easily the best though.

Vekoma: The restraints are fine, the rides suck.

Arrow: I absolutely hate Arrow OTSRs like on Viper and Great American Scream Machine. Once you're over 6 feet tall the restraint doesn't meet your stomach anymore so it's all resting on your shoulder and it hurts like HECK.

Intamin: I love the T bars, I HATE the OSTRs, they absolutely kill my thighs on rides with any g forces at all and if you're tall enough they bash your neck too. For example, Stormrunner could be such a good ride if it weren't for the restraints. They murder you in every way possible.

The restraints on El Toro are also really good, not a T bar but a U bar. They don't kill your thighs if the ride ops don't staple you.

GCI: The lap bars on the Millennium Flyers are alright. They do get really tight throughout the course of the ride however and there truly is no place to hold on to them. They could be better if they weren't so heavy on your stomach/thighs though.

Overall, my favorite are the B&M clamshells and the restraints on Goliath.

My least favorite have to be the Intamin OSTRs, they kill every ride that could be so much better. Heck I don't even like Maverick that much because they make the ride so uncomfortable. Why Intamin? WHY?

I love the seats and restraints on B&M coasters, with the clamshells being my favorite. I'm also really fond of Millennium Flyers and the single position buzz bars of the Phoenix.

Least favorite would be SLCs and Volaire's. Deathtraps!

I'm with you on both of them! I love the B&M's too especially how I can put my arms up unlike Arrows and Vekomas.

SLC's and Volares indeed are painful! I've only ridden 1 volare and never riding another one for obvious reasons.

The traditional bars on the Playland Coaster. No seat dividers, belts, high seat backs, or headrests! No complex mechanisms either, just locks by sliding into a metal slot on the floor of the train (hard to explain without picture) and opened manually by ride ops with levers on the outside of the train. Just plain old classic woodie feel and intense airtime! Best trains in my opinion.

I kinda like Giovanola's hyper train like the ones used for Titan and Goliath. Atleast I can cross my legs unlike on B&M's I can't.

How come cedar fair put seat-belts on all their arrow restraints? Is there an actually safety issue or just to make the capacity lower?

They are IMO abit pointless especially the ones on Demon. Because it's retractable, it's pretty long. Infact it allows the OTSR to go all the way up, so it's pointless as a body size limiter and as a backup. The ride ops don't even bother checking them (atleast on Demon).

The ones on CP's Corkscrew, they mounted them in the most inconvenient way possible. Like that: http://pointbuzz.com/Photos/Photo.aspx?id=2363&tag=corkscrew%7cseatbelt That could seriously chip someone's tooth or whip someone in the eye. I don't get why don't they just mount them the B&M or Vekoma way.

~ Jess "Excuse my B&M fandomness" Chan

From what I understand, the seat belts are just visually checked on the Demon because the seats are too low for the operators to physically tug on (they would have to get on their knees to physically check the seat belts).