TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Restraint Discussion Thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best - B&M Flyers, B&M Hyper & Millennium Flyers

Worst

Hopkins OTSR on The Dragon at Adventureland - Not only is it an awful ride, but the restraints are like rock. I could just beat my head on the wall for 45 seconds for the same effect. And this was in the front to, I could only imagine the back and those poor, poor souls.

I really dislike the restraints on a typical boomerang, but I have yet to experience the new style. My second worst would be togo standup restraints - the often get adjusted wrong and just hurt!

I like the restraints on Millenium Force and B&M hypers like Behemoth.

No body has commented on X-Car restraints......what are they like?

David

^I've heard they are quite nice, but I've never been on one. Can anyone vouch?

Fav: B & M hyper. Without a doubt.

Worst: I hated the modified Intamin T-bar restraints on Ride of Steel at Darien Lake. The metal side additions trapped my leg and made it a pretty tight fit, even for a 14-year old distance runner.

Special mention goes to Kumali's restraints! I've never enjoyed having my head thrown into a shoulder restraint more!

My least favorite are those terrible OTSR's on Revolution at SFMM.

My favorite are the adjustable restraints on X2. They are always a perfect fit and I feel very secure in them. I also like that they feel like you are putting a backpack on LoL.

Chris.

The restraints on the 4-D are butterfly restraints I believe & if they're so good(which I don't doubt) then why havn't we seen other designers use something similar yet?

I'm really starting to hate the premier lap bars lately because they're a really tight fit to get into & having that hard plastic in your ribcage isn't the most comfortable experience that's for sure.

Best: B&M clamshells (particularly on Behemoth & Diamondback) (psst...Behemoth is better)

Worst: Eurofighters - I've only been on the Mystery Mine, but they pinch my thighs. And I'm not a big girl either. Also, it gives me a bruise in my left arm.

I also prefer Intamin OSTRs over B&M OSTRs, because they give me much more room to move my arms, and I can see a LOT more due to the opennesss. I'm pretty short, so my eyes don't reach over the top of the bulky B&M restrains.

Am I the only one who HATES the lap bars on Millennium Flyers? It seems there is nothing to hold them up during the ride, so they are continuously slamming down into your stomach. Their shape is also strange, making it inconvenient to hold on to.

The only other restraints I can't stand are Magnum's lapbars. They also have the problem of continuously falling in your lap, and that stapling plus the lack of padding cause the last stretch of airtime hills to be really painful.

My favorite restraints are definitely the original Schwarzkopf lap bars (when they aren't combined with seat belts). The freedom is great!

Best: B&M clamshells (particularly on Behemoth & Diamondback) (psst...Behemoth is better)

Worst: Eurofighters - I've only been on the Mystery Mine, but they pinch my thighs. And I'm not a big girl either. Also, it gives me a bruise in my left arm.

I also prefer Intamin OSTRs over B&M OSTRs, because they give me much more room to move my arms, and I can see a LOT more due to the opennesss. I'm pretty short, so my eyes don't reach over the top of the bulky B&M restrains.

I find this very true with their inverts, as I'm a short person myself. Ironically, I have no issues with openess on impulse coasters.

How come cedar fair put seat-belts on all their arrow restraints? Is there an actually safety issue or just to make the capacity lower?

I don't know about Cedar Fair, but some parks use them to determine whether or not you're too big to ride. If they can't buckle the seat-belt, then the restraint isn't down far enough to be effective.

I'm not a huge fan of the Millennium Flyer bars either, unless there are some somewhere that stay where you put them better. (I rode the Hershey Wildcat in its first year with the new trains, but I can't remember if they behaved or not.) The bars on 2-bench PTCs can be about as bad, although riding Twister this year it seems like they've tightened them up decently.

As far as Cedar Fair and Arrows are concerned, when I rode Corkscrew at Cedar Point last year I was damned glad that they had a belt on it, because my restraint was so loose that it felt like the belt was the only thing holding it down. Except at the end of the ride, where I instinctively pulled down before trying to raise it and had it lock at a lower position than it had been. Complete junk. They should leave the corkscrews as a decoration over the midway and tear the rest of the ride out.

I personally like the Millenium Flyers but my bro likes to hold on and since he can't he hates them!

On Great American Scream Machine at SFGadv I get so banged up since the restraints are so loose that the major hangtime in the loops causes you to fall into them hard.

After riding SpongeBob at the Mall of America for a day, I agree. Even after 5 rides, my shoulders had the beautiful looks of a cat that went nuts scratching my shoulders.

The Vekoma MK1211 trains for a boomerang in Power Park. They hit me to my chest, so that I can't breath properly. It's scary. Although the trains are much nicer than the old ones in all other ways.

Pic

Another is the HUSS Booster. The restraints hit me straight into my private place. It's so incredibly accurate, that it's hard to believe.

Now, that`s interesting. I think, this thread shows, how little of the TPR`s already rode Blue Fire by now...

Those new Mack-Launcher restraints are absolutely awesome...the most ergonomic ones by far...even MUCH better than the B&M Hyper-ones, although those are very good, too.

But especially the thighs-area feels alot better...more freedom there.

The Schwartzys are great too, but an inversion with hangtime would be VERY uncomfortable (horrible ?) but with the Mack-ones...it`s just coaster heaven...

Sorry guys, I know, I`m raving again (about Mack/B.F.), but you just HAVE to experience this...and you`ll understand !

GeorgeT

My 2 favorites are the classic Arrow restraints and B&M's OTSRs.

Arrow because it's not giant (Vekoma... ahem..) and doesn't obstruct your view of anything (Vekoma.. again). Despite the roughness I just find them comfortable.

B&Ms because you feel totally in place. They're not small, but they keep you in place and you feel plenty safe. They don't hurt your thighs during airtime (Intamin) and you don't need to staple yourself to stay in place comfortably.