TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Chessington World of Adventure Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, tndank said:

What does everyone think of the growing trend to turn the last row backwards?

chessington.png

As someone who frequently likes the back row for the forces but does not particularly like completely not seeing where I'm going, I am not a fan.  But it's not a big deal, since I can always sit in the next-to-last-row which is 99% of the time, 99% of the experience.

• 1 month later...

Very recently, groups of enthusiasts and the press were invited to tour the World of Jumanji building site, witness the new B&M quadruple launch shuttle wing coaster 'Mandrill Mayhem' testing in person and speak to the land's designer John Burton.

The 42 mph coaster has been confirmed to have a reversed backrow that will also not come with an upcharge.

It was confirmed that a lot more planting was on the way before the area opens in mid-May, and a lot of work is taking place on crafting the area's immersive theming, which will also comprise of a mini recreation of the bazaar from 'Welcome To The Jungle', Alan Parish's treehouse as the Mandrill Mayhem station building, rockwork and sand dunes from 'The Next Level', and of course most of the area's planting (only four percent of which had been planted at the time of the hardhat tour).

It was confirmed in the British tabloids that actor Rhys Darby, who plays guide Nigel Billingsay in the Dwayne Johnson movies, narrates guests as they walk around the land.

A lot more information in this detailed breakdown on the hardhat tour with pictures from Attraction Source.

I have posted some of the officially released pictures below, as well as embedded videos of the hardhat tour, testing footage and an interview with the area's designer.

image.thumb.png.382a4a1133c44fde0e46df4c26bce163.png

image.png.1c38c2fe535ae7fff31b519f9e8a1168.png

image.png.24316ab3a2ae6d2cf7569756e7310d02.png

image.png.08618237a9e1af390af359289fa26d19.png

• Like 2

This is far and away the absolute weirdest coaster B&M has ever built. It kind-sorta has 4 launches, it's their only shuttle coaster, the backwards seats, the awkward helix.... like what? lol.

Looks like fun but I'm kinda shocked B&M went so far out of their comfort zone for one coaster! Nonetheless it's nice to see!

On 1/18/2023 at 4:36 PM, tndank said:

What does everyone think of the growing trend to turn the last row backwards?

chessington.png

At least if someone takes their phone out on the ride and drops it you won't have to worry about getting hit in the face with it, just the back of your head lol

13 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

This is far and away the absolute weirdest coaster B&M has ever built. It kind-sorta has 4 launches, it's their only shuttle coaster, the backwards seats, the awkward helix.... like what? lol.

Looks like fun but I'm kinda shocked B&M went so far out of their comfort zone for one coaster! Nonetheless it's nice to see!

I am gonna guess Merlin bought a less expensive package deal. They also have the tiny family wing going to legoland 

What's the minimum height, etc. for this coaster? I forget. It's a getting old thing. 🧔

I actually like the "easy ambling" (that a phrase?) that it takes, both forwards and back.

Maybe it's just a Large Scale family coaster, etc. Sure puts a lot into the elements, too.

17 hours ago, Nrthwnd said:

What's the minimum height, etc. for this coaster? I forget. It's a getting old thing. 🧔

I actually like the "easy ambling" (that a phrase?) that it takes, both forwards and back.

Maybe it's just a Large Scale family coaster, etc. Sure puts a lot into the elements, too.

It has a minimum height of 1.2m and a top speed of 42 mph, so very much a thrill coaster for families.

The coaster itself is 65'ft, which isn't huge in theory but very tall for a coaster at Chessington.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

B&M giving us variety!  It's always a good day when it happens... which isn't much.  Looks like a tester/test track more than a big B&M, but good for them!  They can do anything.  Except laterals haha :)  Not fun in bucket seats anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here are some pictures I took from the opening ceremony of World of Jumanji!

Mandrill Mayhem is one of the best starter thrill coasters for children out there. The launches are quite snappy and the ride pulls some very interesting forces. The area is also nicely themed and detailed. The landscaping is quite nice, the plants haven't grown fully yet, so it'll start to feel more immersive once they have grown more.

Mamba Strike is the best of the two flat rides in the area, it has some nice pops of airtime and a lengthier cycle.

1179445817_WoJ1band.png

WoJ 2.png

354720650_Woj63.png

43268517_WoJ6.png

962609399_WoJ3.png

1794891906_WoJ8.png

736880106_WoJ10.png

2098989637_Woj15.png

1968231824_WoJ14.png

1337189643_WoJ12.png

735108745_WoJ13.png

389089914_Woj17.png

989514637_Woj16.png

22663285_Woj18.png

1631833305_Woj19.png

WoJ 24.jpg

WoJ 22.png

WoJ 23.png

WoJ 27.png

WoJ 29.png

Woj 31.png

WoJ 42.png

WoJ 43.png

WoJ 47.png

WoJ 48.png

WoJ 50.png

WoJ 52.png

WOj 44.png

WoJ 45.png

WoJ 30.png

WoJ 39.png

WoJ 40.png

On 3/11/2023 at 8:18 PM, SharkTums said:

I'm excited that we're finally seeing some different stuff out of B&M, as Lizzo would say...it's about damn time!

With this, the new gen. Stand up at Seaworld, and the new lapbar restraints for their loopers it seems like B&M is feeling the heat and is finally innovating again. Now if they could only bring back their snappy transitions from their 90s rides I would be an even happier guy haha

• Like 1

A few observations from Mandrill Mayhem; it is quite a whippy little B&M coaster, surprisingly so. The scorpion tale and the dip out of the station provide some nice moments of airtime depending on where you sit. 

It carries some pretty fun forces, nothing overly intense for experienced thrill seekers because it is a family/thrill coaster, though if you don't like coasters that travel backwards, then this may not be for you. It is surprisingly thrilling for a family coaster.

I was expecting to find the helix a tad uncomfortable, but it was fine really. I am still not a massive fan of vest restraints, but the vests on this ride don't lock further during the ride cycle, which is a very positive development.

All in all, it's great fun, and it's fantastic to see B&M innovating once again with this ride and Pipeline over in Orlando.

5 hours ago, gardyloo! said:

Had a bad visit last time?

I didn't hate the park, I just hated the experience of riding the coasters. I'm still stunned that a park would run 2 cars on a Maurer spinner and still stack them. Everything else had an unnecessarily long line also just because they decided to create one by running everything terribly.

There were also a ton of school groups on the day we went, which didn't help. The non-moving Vampire queue inside the cave was some weird British schoolkid screaming match. Ugh... just thinking about it, yeah no.

I did enjoy the animal stuff. There was a strong "This is Animal Kingdom on meth" vibe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I visited on a weekday in late September. I didn't even really understand why they were open (though British parks all seem to do daily ops when American parks would do weekend-only ops), but they ended up being kind-of busy.